Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    official eMpTyBRain

Govt Shut Down: Open/Closed Trails- SHARE YOURS

Post ANY/EVERY trail you've been on or been to since the shut down and let us know if it is open or closed.

Backbone Trail- Encinal Cyn area: CLOSED
    Chantry Flats: CLOSED
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

Log off and go ride!
    Jul 2003
    So many trails... so little time...

mtbr member
    When you lift your bike over the fence, they seem open after that
    San Diego needs singletrack

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrider127 View Post
    EVERYONE knows that, I just want to know which ones you have to lift your bike over.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Didn't see it with my own eyes, but I heard the gate to the fire road leading up to Golden Eagle is currently closed.

b a n n e d
    So if the trails are "closed" because of the shitdown . . . . who's gonna write you a ticket?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    So if the trails are "closed" because of the shitdown . . . . who's gonna write you a ticket?
    Bingo
    San Diego needs singletrack

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    That's the irony of the shutdown: park rangers will be there to issue tickets to those who violate a closure necessitated by an absence of park rangers.

official eMpTyBRain
    The rangers are on furlough. Where I usually see them, they are absent.

But I saw in the news this morning that the furloughs are starting to end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Chesebro had two signs, one said closed due to government shut down and one said closed due to fire danger. So I went to Backbone and rode from Kanan through Corral Canyon and back. Plenty of others there and the stupid barricades were laying on the ground off to the side of the entrance to the parking area.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Alski View Post
    Chesebro had two signs, one said closed due to government shut down and one said closed due to fire danger. So I went to Backbone and rode from Kanan through Corral Canyon and back. Plenty of others there and the stupid barricades were laying on the ground off to the side of the entrance to the parking area.
    Everywhere I saw barricades this past weekend, they were knocked over laying face down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Heard on the news this morning that a group of people cut the locks off the gates at Cheseboro and Sycamore Canyon early Sat morning and removed all the barricades. The parks would have been closed regardless of a shutdown this weekend due to the high winds and fire threat.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    Heard on the news this morning that a group of people cut the locks off the gates at Cheseboro and Sycamore Canyon early Sat morning and removed all the barricades.
    That's just asking for trouble.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    What I love about this is the fact that hikers are openly advocating ignoring trail closures on all their facebook pages and forums. Yet these are the same people who routinely call out bikers for doing the same. Just goes to show you that anyone will ignore a law they personally feel is unjust.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    What I love about this is the fact that hikers are openly advocating ignoring trail closures on all their facebook pages and forums. Yet these are the same people who routinely call out bikers for doing the same. Just goes to show you that anyone will ignore a law they personally feel is unjust.
    Of course, the trick though is to not become a hypocrite when doing it.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

official eMpTyBRain
    That's proof that we Americans collectively are sick and tired of the crap our POS Govt is doing to us and each other. They all need to pull their heads out of their asses and think and work for the people, not for their own personal wants and needs. I say we overthrow them, fire each and everyone of them in all parties and replace them people who truly care about the people.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    That's proof that we Americans collectively are sick and tired of the crap our POS Govt is doing to us and each other. They all need to pull their heads out of their asses and think and work for the people, not for the lobbyist and special interest groups that pay them to vote a certain way and fund special projects so their friends companies can make money off government contracts. I say we overthrow them, fire each and everyone of them in all parties and replace them people who truly care about the people, except for the fact that this government like all of mankind's feeble attempts at government won't ever work.
    fixed that for ya.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

official eMpTyBRain
    ^ Thank you kindly, sir!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Govt Shut Down: Open/Closed Trails- SHARE YO

Dirtrider127 said:
    Illegal aliens do it and the feds look the other way. So it must be okay...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Forum Fiend v1.0.1.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Rode Saturday in Pt Mugu State park. Signs stated "closed due to Federal shut down", but what does this have to do with a CA state park?

There is a small National park / Chumash museum within the state park, but posting Federal shut-down signs all around seemed punitive and wonky.

The wind was ridiculous, which must have been the reason for other signs stating "Park closed due to fire hazard". The only problem with this restriction is that 99% of the park burned to a crisp in the Springs fire a few months ago. The only way to get it to burn further would entail nuclear detonation.

Saw several hikers and a few MTBs. One lady on a bike asked if I saw any patrols. I said no, and added that no one was getting paid. As I rode past she said something about volunteers.

The combination of threatening signs and hurricane force winds kind of took the fun out of riding Sycamore.

Sunday weather was perfect and there was no wind. My plan was Cheseboro - accessed via one of the less-trafficked Eastern entries. If they tried to cite me, I reasoned, I would state that "I am a citizen and therefore an owner of this park. Parts of the government may be shut, but my taxes are still due and payable, and I am still paying them." (I own a business and have a payroll).

On the drive over I changed my mind. I didn't want any hassles, and didn't want to worry about them on the ride. All of which made me go for a ride I hadn't done in many years: Malibu Creek State park and up Bulldog.

At the top (Castro Peak mtwy), the fire road which used to be open is now blocked with a gate, razor wire, cameras, and threatening signage resembling Taliban rhetoric. "If you trespass you will be prosecuted, if you're not eaten by the dogs first!" (not a joke!)

"Wow" I thought. "This government of ours is really getting heavy handed!"

I rode West and hooked up with Corral cyn trail, and rode to Latigo. No signs there but after bulldog, razor wire, and threats, I no longer cared.

When I got home I googled Castro Peak, and found out the gates were erected by the guy who owns the transmission equipment and land on the peak. Not the government.

The whole weekend experience reminded me of the biggest reason to enjoy mountain biking - to escape from PEOPLE.

b a n n e d
    Can you post some links please? I could use this information for another purpose. Post here or PM . . . . thanks.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Fed ranger told us how to get into Sycamore canyon Saturday. Red flag warning gets full warning, shutdown, not so much. Found a bunch of new single track to get into the upper part of the area and I live in Dos Vientos. Effin sweet!

mtbr member
    Illegal immigration rally on an otherwise closed national mall today, due to "first amendment exception"

Immigration Rally Goes Forward on Mall - Washington Wire - WSJ

Quote Originally Posted by wjphillips View Post
    Illegal aliens do it and the feds look the other way. So it must be okay...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Forum Fiend v1.0.1.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Can you post some links please? I could use this information for another purpose. Post here or PM . . . . thanks.
    Go to the facebook pages of the American Hiking Society, Pacific Crest Trail Association. Lots of posts there about it. Also check the links below.
    Occupy Yosemite Protest Scheduled for Friday | National Parks | SoCal Wanderer | KCET
    Hikers Hop Gate At Closed National Park To Protest Shutdown « CBS Las Vegas

Also Google "Hikers Protest" for a few more links.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast