Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GoPro Footage

Beer Please!

GoPro Footage

For those of you using GoPro's, what are you finding to be your favorite mounting setup for your mountain biking?

I have tried the "Follow-Me" setup where it points backwards and is mounted to the Seat Post.

I have tried mounting from the Handle Bars, and yesterday I mounted it to the upper part of the Fork Station(spelling?). Here is a short clip:

I run into Ryan right after Spring Man - YouTube

So far I like the Follow-Me Setup the best, but want to try a few more setups.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

official eMpTyBRain
    I call it "rear view mirrors" when recording backwards and it's best if you can mount the camera down low on a chain stay if there is clearance for the back of your foot. Of, course, you can't ride through anything that is gonna tear the camera off when it's that low either. Having it closer to the ground really speeds things up.

To me, the worst is helmet mounting. Gives that slow/floaty feel to the recording.

Try mounting the camera lower on the fork and record forward. Again, watch out for hazards along the trail!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Chesty mount seems to do the best for me. It gives a great cockpit view and really translates the bike vs body movement well. You just have to make sure you have it mounted correctly or your are looking up your nose or at your handlebars the whole time.

View too low

Helmet mount is #2 but I seem to get more stable video since I can use my whole body as a stabilizer.

mount rattles but video good
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

Beer Please!
    Yeah the Chest mount is pretty cool, but I am strictly talking about using the clamp mounts for now.

I will try going lower on the front forks and see what I get on my next ride.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy View Post
    Helmet mount is #2 but I seem to get more stable video since I can use my whole body as a stabilizer.

mount rattles but video good
    I use the helmet mount on my motorcycle, but I tend to hit too many low branches when on the MTN bike to be interested in trying the helmet cam for that.

I think some of the best footage is when you have a good subject matter in the frame. For my local rides no one in our group is faster than me on the down hill sections so I tend to be out front, but I might insist on following someone next time just to get some footage with someone in the frame.

What setting are you using to get the wide view on youtube? My video's keep coming out Square. I choose "you tube" from the go pro editing software when i process the footage. Should I change the recording options?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    For these clips, they were directly uploaded and not edited. There is a setting in the camera for widescreen or cinematic or 9:11 or something like that. You need to record it in that mode to get the full screen. I think I was using the 720-30 setting which is not pure HD but gives the wide screen view you are looking for.
    Apathy will get you exactly what you deserve

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ive tried several positions on my bike:
    Front fork- facing fowards, backwards, thru and off the side (fwd/bkwd:GOPR0009.MP4 - YouTube, thru forks:fork view - YouTube
    Handlebars- very shaky and blair witch status
    Under Downtube- tried this mainly for capturing long wheelies on road, loose mount so it stays level

Ive also tried on me:
    Headstrap mount- great for if your not wearing a helmet
    Full face mount- both top and side view, I think side view is better
    (Side:Doctors Loop / Pomerado - YouTube)

I dont have the chest rig yet but I always like those views best as they give you the best feel of whats going on. And a good tip: ALWAYS use the little white rubber thing, eliminates vibration and noise!

Edit: none of these clips are edited either, most done in 1080 30 I believe.

mtbr member
    The chesty also has a rattle problem that I hear in others videos as well. I finally got it quiet for good on mine. I put a piece of the thick insulating electrical tape over the edge of the mounting plate where that tight buckle loop attaches. While riding the stretch/compression of the straps causes the buckle to hit the mounting plate, making an annoying rattling noise.

Beer Please!
    I think the Chestie is looking like the way to go for the best MTB footage.... hmm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

GoPro Footage

I like the fork mounted idea. My wife just got me one last week for my birthday so I've only used stem and handlebar mounts so far. I wanna try a chest rig though to catch the handlebars in frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Chesty:

Recent vid of mine, have to use an 'extension' piece to get the gopro further away from the base in order to angle it up more (to see less top tube/handlebars/knees), but what you see in that vid is 100% reproduce-able every time with that setup.

Beer Please!
    Here is my first quick attempt at cutting together some footage and adding music.

Mountain Biking in Calavera Preserve, Carlsbad, CA - YouTube

Taken last week in Calavera Preserve. I have already found a better follow me mounting spot on my bike for the next ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Cool Vid!

I like the shots where the camera is mounted to the frame and you can see the shock moving up and down.

like this one I found on youtube
    : Ballinastoe MTB, Trail 3 (GoPro HD fork-cam) - YouTube

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I use the chesty with it mounted upside down (make sure you change the setting so it records right-side up). This allows me to run it without any extensions so it doesn't stick out too far. It levels out pretty well when you're standing/sitting on the bike.
    GoPro Footage-p4pb5879840.jpg

Tiger Mt Enduro Stage 1 Preview - YouTube

When I'm wearing my full face, I'll sometimes use the sticky mount that I put right at eye level on either side of the helmet. I've seen a lot of guys mount it under the visor, I'm going to give that a try the next time I'm out.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
    Cool Vid!

I like the shots where the camera is mounted to the frame and you can see the shock moving up and down.

like this one I found on youtube
    : Ballinastoe MTB, Trail 3 (GoPro HD fork-cam) - YouTube
    That was cool! I contacted the buy who made the video to see if mounting setup.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    i shot some footage yesterday

Mt. Wilson 2 - YouTube
    Last edited by jasonjm; 10-20-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonjm View Post
    i shot some footage yesterday

Mt. Wilson 2 - YouTube
    That is really cool. How does that attach to your helmet? Is it connected to the goggle strap?

Can you take a picture of the mounting rig?

Also, where is Mount Wilson? That looks like a fun ride, do you shuttle it?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    no its a right angle mount on the helmet. the back facing one was an experiment I can remount that one better no need to see my helmet or goggle strap or at least less of it. I'll take some photos after i fix it later on this week.

its definitely the best way to mount camera in my experience, least bouncing and vibration.

mt wilson is shuttle near pasadena los angeles, we rode approx 12 000 feet downhill in 6 hours, lotta fun. I invited people on the socal forum (in another thread here) because we needed minimum of 3 riders and we had 2, lucky some other random people showed up.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The chest and helmet seem to be solid mounting points. I've noticed when the camera is mounted to the bike it can get a little shaky at speed.

Here's a video I made of some different mounts, using Ram Mounts to bike.

POV GoPro with RAM Mounts - YouTube

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by brett93003 View Post
    The chest and helmet seem to be solid mounting points. I've noticed when the camera is mounted to the bike it can get a little shaky at speed.

Here's a video I made of some different mounts, using Ram Mounts to bike.

POV GoPro with RAM Mounts - YouTube

That is cool, do you have any pictures showing how the camera was actually mounted on the bike each time?

Beer Please!
    I tried the Seat Post mount pointing forward and really like the results, now I just need to adjust the position so I get less of my shorts and legs in the shot.

Lemme know what you think.

Next up, time to build a rig to mount the camera over the shoulder from my camelbak.

Mountain Biking in Calavera Preserve in November 2013 - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I thought I should have taken a pic of how it was mounted after I made the video. I used an adjustable RAM Mount that allowed me to move the camera from the stem or fork for the forward facing shots, to the rear chain stay or seat post for some of the rear and side shots. Its a pretty cool mount, just not rock solid (unless you don't mind torque it down on your bike).

Here's a link to the mount…
    RAM Yoke Clamp Mount with Double Socket Arm and Diamond Base Adapter

Beer Please!
    Very cool, thanks.

Beer Please!
    So, I tried a new Mount that fits inside my Camelbak and I like the results, I just need to fine tune the angle, and eventually get a gyroscopic mount to steady the footage.

My boss has a side company that makes rigging for Float Tubes and Kayaks for fishing stuff. I took part of one of the componants and modified it to fit in my camelbak with a post sticking up to mount my GoPro on.

Here is the product I took apart to make this:
    CastMate™ | Team Fish, Inc.

Here is how it went together:

The Standard GoPro Handle Bar Mounting Kit:

And with the GoPro Attached:

Here is some Video I took yesterday:

Testing out the Backpack Cam - YouTube

I plan to run it again this afternoon with a better angle and with friends so you can see footage of me capturing other riders as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I like it, I was thinking of using a similar mount, now I see something similar, I'll have to rig my own. I do agree, the angle does need to be set to look more forward, I'll take that into account, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast