Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Never tried going up Jedi but my usual ride in the area is to head up the canyon to mulholland then back down the ridge to squirrel. I enjoy the climb up that way more for whatever reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I guess it depends on how strong your heart is, but it's surely not an easy climb. Why not climb up Sullivan Canyon the entire way to the top? It would be more interesting than the Sully Ridge fire road especially if you do some of the single tracks in the canyon.

Big Hittin'
    the sullivan canyon climb is just sooooo long... i found when i push up the squirell trail it cuts at least a few miles off the climb. and i have way more energy to play around up top.

ive never seen any singletrack in the canyon?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The singletrack in the canyon criss-crosses the fire road throughout much of the trail, so it's just a matter of looking for the entrance to the next section of singletrack as you go along the main path. Many parts of the singletrack link in with the next piece of singletrack, so as you exit one section look around for the entrance to the next part.

The singletrack works best if you're going downhill, but it's not bad going uphill too.

My usual course starts off with a road ride from the southern end of Santa Monica to Sully Cyn, up the canyon fire road to Mullholland, through Farmers Ridge, then to the Nike missile site, down through Sully Cyn (this time going through the singletrack), then the road ride back home in Santa Monica again. If my ride is any shorter than this I feel cheated.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2 View Post
    the sullivan canyon climb is just sooooo long... i found when i push up the squirell trail it cuts at least a few miles off the climb. and i have way more energy to play around up top.

ive never seen any singletrack in the canyon?
    Assuming you go to the top of Mulholland, the canyon is actually 2 miles shorter than the ridge. The ridge is just a long, slow, boring grind . . . the canyon only gets real steep at the end and is much more enjoyable.

Next time, try going up the canyon, down jedi and then DOWN squirrel cage . . . I bet you spend more time on singletrack and DH sections.

Big Hittin'
    I have never climbed the ridge. Was just wondering.

Pushing up squirrel then climbing the fire road is definitely shorter tho
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey has anyone biked up sullivan ridge? the actual dh trail not the fire rd.

Is it too steep?
    I've climbed it many times, and no its not too steep except for the very first section off the road (steep + loose soil).

Great workout, takes some fitness. MUCH easier if the soil's a bit moist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bringing this thread back up....

Can anyone chime in on how the Westridge singletrack compares to Jedi? Is it more/less technical, steep, loose, etc? Is it any fun? (I never see anyone talking about it!)

I'd like to give it a go, but don't want to try if it's like a 4 mile long Widow Maker!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeCRX View Post
    Bringing this thread back up....

Can anyone chime in on how the Westridge singletrack compares to Jedi? Is it more/less technical, steep, loose, etc? Is it any fun? (I never see anyone talking about it!)

I'd like to give it a go, but don't want to try if it's like a 4 mile long Widow Maker!
    nah, its fun, and you can cancel any time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    nah, its fun, and you can cancel any time.
    Thanks for the feedback. I crashed hard a couple days ago on Jedi, and of course it was the first time I decided to ride without full armour. I have to take it easy for a few weeks while things heal, so I didn't want to try Westridge if it's too crazy. I'll give it a go since it sounds like it's not too bad!

Big Hittin'
    where is jedi?
    29er's are Goofy

b a n n e d
    It's been a while since I rode Jedi and I got a chance to hit some of it this weekend. Someones done a lot of work up there. Fun little trail.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    where is jedi?
    It's the singletrack on top of Sullivan Ridge. There's Upper Jedi and Lower Jedi, which ends at the Camp Josepho sign.

Big Hittin'
    oh. i thought that was just called Sullivan ridge. i was there on sunday, first time in a half a year or soo. its really getting dry and rutted.

Bored on sunday run on pinkbike.com

29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    oh. i thought that was just called Sullivan ridge. i was there on sunday, first time in a half a year or soo. its really getting dry and rutted.
    If you say "Sullivan Ridge", you could mean either the singletrack or fire road. But if you say "Jedi", everyone knows you're talking about the singletrack only. I think most of the average mountain bikers stick to the fire roads, while the crazies here on MTBR go for the insane singletrack stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just in case I'm not the last person to have ever ridden the Westridge singletrack, here's my mini review of the place:

It's a fun trail, with plenty of exits to the fire road if you want to bail. It's steeper than Jedi (aka Sullivan Ridge singletrack), which means a lot more climbing but also longer faster downhills. Some of the areas get fairly steep, but it's nowhere near as rutted or loose as Jedi so traction isn't an issue. Westridge has a more gentle flow to it, kind of like a tall wooden rollercoaster, while Jedi is more violent and rough.

There are some areas where if you hit the peak with enough speed, you can get a good amount of air. There are only a couple of spots with brief amounts of exposure, so for the most part if you fall, you don't fall far.

I'll probably try it again but for now, I slightly prefer Jedi. I think it's because I'm scared of heights, and Westridge forces you to ride a loooong way down. It's also steep enough that once you start going downhill, you have to commit to it, and you have to go fast.

Big Hittin'
    am i confused here? isnt westridge single track just the trails in sullivan canyon that criss cross the firerd?

its not steep at all. am i missing somthing??
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    am i confused here? isnt westridge single track just the trails in sullivan canyon that criss cross the firerd?

its not steep at all. am i missing somthing??
    Different trail.

There are sections of singletrack above the westridge fire road.

OneTimeCRX is right, there are a few sections with significant exposure that make me nervous. I can't help but imagine myself getting medevac'ed out of the canyon, so I take it easy through those sections.

Big Hittin'
    can somone show me on google maps?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    can somone show me on google maps?
    Westridge is the road that heads down from the Nike site, with sullivan canyon roughly in between that and sullivan ridge.

Here's a route of someone going up sullivan ridge and coming down westridge.
    Geoladders -- Sullivan Ridge - Westridge Loop

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    I find one of the biggest drawbacks to Wstrdg s/t is the amount of hikers and dog walkers.

-tep

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    oldmanjusthavingfunontwowheelsurbandirtandroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Technically, "Westridge" is the West Mandeville Fire Road, but everyone calls it Westridge since the lower trailhead starts where Westridge Road ends. Westridge singletrack runs in between the Nike Missile Site and Westridge road.

I'll make some Google Earth pics of the trails & figure out how to post them online, though it may take a while...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeCRX View Post
    Technically, "Westridge" is the West Mandeville Fire Road, but everyone calls it Westridge since the lower trailhead starts where Westridge Road ends. Westridge singletrack runs in between the Nike Missile Site and Westridge road.

I'll make some Google Earth pics of the trails & figure out how to post them online, though it may take a while...
    I've never ridden this route and I'm really intrigued . . . kinda curious to know what the "exposure" is like. Also seems to me that the trail might be kinda short, no?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here are some maps:

Overview of Westridge:
    Green: Westridge ST, aka West Mandeville Fire Road
    Orange: Dirt Mulholland
    Cyan: Sullivan Ridge
    Purple: Sullivan Canyon

Westridge ST upper trailhead, next to the Nike Missile Site (where the red line meets the green line):

Westridge ST lower trailhead, exiting to Westridge Road. Note that my GPS didn't draw the path on the far right side of the green line correctly. I think I lost GPS reception for a bit:

Sullivan Canyon & Ridge Overview:
    Cyan: Sullivan Ridge AKA Upper Jedi & Lower Jedi
    Dark Blue: Squirrel Cage

Squirrel Cage Close-up:
    Cyan: Sullivan Ridge AKA Upper Jedi & Lower Jedi
    Dark Blue: Squirrel Cage. It's south of the Camp Josepho sign, next to a telephone pole.

Horse Trail Close-up:
    Red: Paved roads
    Dark Blue: Horse Trail. Upper TH is next to the green gate at the Sullivan Canyon TH.

Upper Bent Arrow & Car Crash Overview:
    Light Blue: Upper Bent Arrow, aka Farmers Trail, aka Farmer Fire Road
    Lime Green: Car Crash Trail, aka MG Trail, considered part of Upper Bent Arrow
    Red: Dead End Trail

Widowmaker:
    Light Blue: Upper Bent Arrow, aka Farmers Trail, aka Farmer Fire Road
    Red: The Widowmaker (there's also another Widowmaker somewhere else off of Dirt Mulholland)

Will Rogers Backbone Overview:
    Yellow: Temescal Canyon Road/Temescal Canyon Fire Road
    Fuchsia: Will Rogers Backbone Trail

Let me know if I should make any corrections/additions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good Trails Near Santa Monica-bent_arrow.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-horse_trail.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-jedi_overview.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-squirrel_cage.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-westridge_lower_trailhead.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-westridge_overview.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-westridge_upper_trailhead.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-widowmaker.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-will_rogers_overview.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I've never ridden this route and I'm really intrigued . . . kinda curious to know what the "exposure" is like. Also seems to me that the trail might be kinda short, no?
    Westridge is definitely worth trying. It looks like it would be short, but because it's constantly alternating between climbing & bombing down, it feels like it's longer than Jedi. I'd say that the exposure isn't any worse than Jedi, and definitely not worse than Car Crash. There is one spot though, that if you fall off the side, you really fall. Straight down, no rolling softly down a hill.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast