Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Never tried going up Jedi but my usual ride in the area is to head up the canyon to mulholland then back down the ridge to squirrel. I enjoy the climb up that way more for whatever reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I guess it depends on how strong your heart is, but it's surely not an easy climb. Why not climb up Sullivan Canyon the entire way to the top? It would be more interesting than the Sully Ridge fire road especially if you do some of the single tracks in the canyon.

Big Hittin'
    the sullivan canyon climb is just sooooo long... i found when i push up the squirell trail it cuts at least a few miles off the climb. and i have way more energy to play around up top.

ive never seen any singletrack in the canyon?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The singletrack in the canyon criss-crosses the fire road throughout much of the trail, so it's just a matter of looking for the entrance to the next section of singletrack as you go along the main path. Many parts of the singletrack link in with the next piece of singletrack, so as you exit one section look around for the entrance to the next part.

The singletrack works best if you're going downhill, but it's not bad going uphill too.

My usual course starts off with a road ride from the southern end of Santa Monica to Sully Cyn, up the canyon fire road to Mullholland, through Farmers Ridge, then to the Nike missile site, down through Sully Cyn (this time going through the singletrack), then the road ride back home in Santa Monica again. If my ride is any shorter than this I feel cheated.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by nokfir2 View Post
    the sullivan canyon climb is just sooooo long... i found when i push up the squirell trail it cuts at least a few miles off the climb. and i have way more energy to play around up top.

ive never seen any singletrack in the canyon?
    Assuming you go to the top of Mulholland, the canyon is actually 2 miles shorter than the ridge. The ridge is just a long, slow, boring grind . . . the canyon only gets real steep at the end and is much more enjoyable.

Next time, try going up the canyon, down jedi and then DOWN squirrel cage . . . I bet you spend more time on singletrack and DH sections.

Big Hittin'
    I have never climbed the ridge. Was just wondering.

Pushing up squirrel then climbing the fire road is definitely shorter tho
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hey has anyone biked up sullivan ridge? the actual dh trail not the fire rd.

Is it too steep?
    I've climbed it many times, and no its not too steep except for the very first section off the road (steep + loose soil).

Great workout, takes some fitness. MUCH easier if the soil's a bit moist.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bringing this thread back up....

Can anyone chime in on how the Westridge singletrack compares to Jedi? Is it more/less technical, steep, loose, etc? Is it any fun? (I never see anyone talking about it!)

I'd like to give it a go, but don't want to try if it's like a 4 mile long Widow Maker!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeCRX View Post
    Bringing this thread back up....

Can anyone chime in on how the Westridge singletrack compares to Jedi? Is it more/less technical, steep, loose, etc? Is it any fun? (I never see anyone talking about it!)

I'd like to give it a go, but don't want to try if it's like a 4 mile long Widow Maker!
    nah, its fun, and you can cancel any time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectZero View Post
    nah, its fun, and you can cancel any time.
    Thanks for the feedback. I crashed hard a couple days ago on Jedi, and of course it was the first time I decided to ride without full armour. I have to take it easy for a few weeks while things heal, so I didn't want to try Westridge if it's too crazy. I'll give it a go since it sounds like it's not too bad!

Big Hittin'
    where is jedi?
    29er's are Goofy

b a n n e d
    It's been a while since I rode Jedi and I got a chance to hit some of it this weekend. Someones done a lot of work up there. Fun little trail.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    where is jedi?
    It's the singletrack on top of Sullivan Ridge. There's Upper Jedi and Lower Jedi, which ends at the Camp Josepho sign.

Big Hittin'
    oh. i thought that was just called Sullivan ridge. i was there on sunday, first time in a half a year or soo. its really getting dry and rutted.

<object width='500' height='375'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/257108/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/257108/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='375' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object><p><a href="http://www.pinkbike.com/video/257108/">Bored on sunday run</a> on <a href="http://www.pinkbike.com">pinkbike.com</a></p>
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    oh. i thought that was just called Sullivan ridge. i was there on sunday, first time in a half a year or soo. its really getting dry and rutted.
    If you say "Sullivan Ridge", you could mean either the singletrack or fire road. But if you say "Jedi", everyone knows you're talking about the singletrack only. I think most of the average mountain bikers stick to the fire roads, while the crazies here on MTBR go for the insane singletrack stuff.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just in case I'm not the last person to have ever ridden the Westridge singletrack, here's my mini review of the place:

It's a fun trail, with plenty of exits to the fire road if you want to bail. It's steeper than Jedi (aka Sullivan Ridge singletrack), which means a lot more climbing but also longer faster downhills. Some of the areas get fairly steep, but it's nowhere near as rutted or loose as Jedi so traction isn't an issue. Westridge has a more gentle flow to it, kind of like a tall wooden rollercoaster, while Jedi is more violent and rough.

There are some areas where if you hit the peak with enough speed, you can get a good amount of air. There are only a couple of spots with brief amounts of exposure, so for the most part if you fall, you don't fall far.

I'll probably try it again but for now, I slightly prefer Jedi. I think it's because I'm scared of heights, and Westridge forces you to ride a loooong way down. It's also steep enough that once you start going downhill, you have to commit to it, and you have to go fast.

Big Hittin'
    am i confused here? isnt westridge single track just the trails in sullivan canyon that criss cross the firerd?

its not steep at all. am i missing somthing??
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    am i confused here? isnt westridge single track just the trails in sullivan canyon that criss cross the firerd?

its not steep at all. am i missing somthing??
    Different trail.

There are sections of singletrack above the westridge fire road.

OneTimeCRX is right, there are a few sections with significant exposure that make me nervous. I can't help but imagine myself getting medevac'ed out of the canyon, so I take it easy through those sections.

Big Hittin'
    can somone show me on google maps?
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    can somone show me on google maps?
    Westridge is the road that heads down from the Nike site, with sullivan canyon roughly in between that and sullivan ridge.

Here's a route of someone going up sullivan ridge and coming down westridge.
    Geoladders -- Sullivan Ridge - Westridge Loop

tep
    urbantrailridingroadie
    Feb 2004
    I find one of the biggest drawbacks to Wstrdg s/t is the amount of hikers and dog walkers.

-tep

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    oldmanjusthavingfunontwowheelsurbandirtandroad

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Technically, "Westridge" is the West Mandeville Fire Road, but everyone calls it Westridge since the lower trailhead starts where Westridge Road ends. Westridge singletrack runs in between the Nike Missile Site and Westridge road.

I'll make some Google Earth pics of the trails & figure out how to post them online, though it may take a while...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeCRX View Post
    Technically, "Westridge" is the West Mandeville Fire Road, but everyone calls it Westridge since the lower trailhead starts where Westridge Road ends. Westridge singletrack runs in between the Nike Missile Site and Westridge road.

I'll make some Google Earth pics of the trails & figure out how to post them online, though it may take a while...
    I've never ridden this route and I'm really intrigued . . . kinda curious to know what the "exposure" is like. Also seems to me that the trail might be kinda short, no?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Here are some maps:

Overview of Westridge:
    Green: Westridge ST, aka West Mandeville Fire Road
    Orange: Dirt Mulholland
    Cyan: Sullivan Ridge
    Purple: Sullivan Canyon

Westridge ST upper trailhead, next to the Nike Missile Site (where the red line meets the green line):

Westridge ST lower trailhead, exiting to Westridge Road. Note that my GPS didn't draw the path on the far right side of the green line correctly. I think I lost GPS reception for a bit:

Sullivan Canyon & Ridge Overview:
    Cyan: Sullivan Ridge AKA Upper Jedi & Lower Jedi
    Dark Blue: Squirrel Cage

Squirrel Cage Close-up:
    Cyan: Sullivan Ridge AKA Upper Jedi & Lower Jedi
    Dark Blue: Squirrel Cage. It's south of the Camp Josepho sign, next to a telephone pole.

Horse Trail Close-up:
    Red: Paved roads
    Dark Blue: Horse Trail. Upper TH is next to the green gate at the Sullivan Canyon TH.

Upper Bent Arrow & Car Crash Overview:
    Light Blue: Upper Bent Arrow, aka Farmers Trail, aka Farmer Fire Road
    Lime Green: Car Crash Trail, aka MG Trail, considered part of Upper Bent Arrow
    Red: Dead End Trail

Widowmaker:
    Light Blue: Upper Bent Arrow, aka Farmers Trail, aka Farmer Fire Road
    Red: The Widowmaker (there's also another Widowmaker somewhere else off of Dirt Mulholland)

Will Rogers Backbone Overview:
    Yellow: Temescal Canyon Road/Temescal Canyon Fire Road
    Fuchsia: Will Rogers Backbone Trail

Let me know if I should make any corrections/additions!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good Trails Near Santa Monica-bent_arrow.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-horse_trail.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-jedi_overview.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-squirrel_cage.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-westridge_lower_trailhead.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-westridge_overview.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-westridge_upper_trailhead.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-widowmaker.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-will_rogers_overview.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I've never ridden this route and I'm really intrigued . . . kinda curious to know what the "exposure" is like. Also seems to me that the trail might be kinda short, no?
    Westridge is definitely worth trying. It looks like it would be short, but because it's constantly alternating between climbing & bombing down, it feels like it's longer than Jedi. I'd say that the exposure isn't any worse than Jedi, and definitely not worse than Car Crash. There is one spot though, that if you fall off the side, you really fall. Straight down, no rolling softly down a hill.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks OnetimeCRX! I've done Westridge/Sullivan Cyn/Ridge/Squirrel various combos many times, but couldn't figure out where Upper Bent Arrow was though I looked for it a million times. I know exactly where it is now. What's the difficulty level of Car Crash vs Widowmaker?

Also...
    We're really lucky to have that area so close.
    Thanl god for the squirrel cage, as I used to have to go UP Sullivan Ridge (loooong and on a Giant Revel 2).

My first Full Suspension arrives in a week (SC superlight)!!! Can't wait to ride Sullivan area on a FS. Never ridden a FS. Not hating on my Revel2 though. Gave me a great introductory year to MTN biking. I put that thing to serious abuse up at Jedi and even through Squirrel cage. Lots of crashes but good times

b a n n e d
    Widowmaker in my opinion is a HECK of a lot harder than car crash, which to be honest is a pretty simple trail. The whole thing is exposed, but nothing too bad. If you can ride widowmaker, you can do just fine on car crash. Instead of going straight to WM, just turn left down CC/Bent Arrow.

And what's wrong with going up Sullivan ridge, and how does squirrel cage help with that??? Sullivan ridge is a pretty easy climb. Easier, IMO, than the canyon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WLAmtb View Post
    Thanks OnetimeCRX! I've done Westridge/Sullivan Cyn/Ridge/Squirrel various combos many times, but couldn't figure out where Upper Bent Arrow was though I looked for it a million times. I know exactly where it is now. What's the difficulty level of Car Crash vs Widowmaker?
    The photo below shows the entrance to Upper Bent Arrow aka Farmer Ridge Fire Road. It's after going up a short steep hill on a wide open part of Dirt Mulholland. The left side of the entrance is exposed to a good fall if you're really clumsy.

I did the Widowmaker once, will never do it again. It's well beyond me, even with full armour on. When the "ruts" are deeper than I am tall, that's the limit for me. Last thing I need is to fall into one of them then have my arm pinned down by a rock (or however the movie goes).

Car Crash is completely doable, especially if you can do Squirrel Cage. You just have to be 100% sure of yourself because any hesitation and you can end up falling a long way down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good Trails Near Santa Monica-farmer_ridge_fire_road.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The photo below shows some of the exposure at Westridge. The photo doesn't do a good job of showing the enormity of it all, but I basically had 1 yard left to go before going straight down a huge cliff. There's no way to climb your way out of that one, assuming you survive the fall. The centre of the Google Earth pic shows the dropoff, though it's steeper than Google renders it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Good Trails Near Santa Monica-westridge_exposure.jpg  

Good Trails Near Santa Monica-westridge_exposure_google_earth.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    And what's wrong with going up Sullivan ridge, and how does squirrel cage help with that??? Sullivan ridge is a pretty easy climb. Easier, IMO, than the canyon.
    Really? Technically, yeah. But that section after the camp is steep for me. Of course, I also walk that last part of the canyon too so that's my lack of climbing ability. Workin on it though by trying to go higher each time. Havent done the ridge climb in a while so might try it again soon.

I dont know, I just prefer going up the canyon and riding jedi so squirrel is key for me.

Thanks for the info re: widow/car crash. Sounds like a ride to save for a day when I have a ride partner.... to be safe.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by WLAmtb View Post
    Really? Technically, yeah. But that section after the camp is steep for me. Of course, I also walk that last part of the canyon too so that's my lack of climbing ability. Workin on it though by trying to go higher each time. Havent done the ridge climb in a while so might try it again soon.

I dont know, I just prefer going up the canyon and riding jedi so squirrel is key for me.

Thanks for the info re: widow/car crash. Sounds like a ride to save for a day when I have a ride partner.... to be safe.
    Really the trick is just as you are doing . . . just push a little farther this time than last time. I "cut my teeth" on big climbs on Sully ridge. Coming from Michigan, where climbs are measured in feet instead of miles, I seriously struggled for the first few months (I still do too!). My first run up Sully I didn't even make it to dirt before I had to throw in the towel. It's still a challenge, but because its a steadier climb than the canyon, I find it easier. Just keep pushing yourself and you'll get there!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I prefer going up the canyon too, mostly because of the tree cover. The cooler temperatures make the climb seem easier and shorter somehow.

I remember the first time I tried Sully Cyn, I barely made it to the TH before I had to turn around and leave. Granted I started my ride from home & going up Westridge Rd is what killed me, but it was disappointing to not even get any dirt on my tyres.

After that, it took 4 more tries before I reached the top of Sully Cyn, all of which ended with a lot of walking/limping until my legs literally could not hold my weight anymore and I would collapse to the ground. I made it a point to always go until I could not make it 1 foot further, then turn around and try to make it back home.

Eventually I made it further & further until I could do full loops. Now my biggest challenge is increasing my technical skills & tackling the trails I'm too scared to commit to. I still get leg cramps with every ride, but I guess that's never going to change (even with extra electrolytes, water, diet, etc).

You just have to keep at it, and over time you'll make it further & further.

Big Hittin'
    so far since moving here this is my fav trail, not in SM tho. talk about exposure lol. its like this for 13 miles :-)

<object width='500' height='375'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/254523/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/254523/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='375' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object><p><a href="http://www.pinkbike.com/video/254523/">Lower Mnt Wilson 4/28</a> on <a href="http://www.pinkbike.com">pinkbike.com</a></p>
    Last edited by nokfir2; 05-19-2012 at 08:32 PM.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Rather than start a new thread, wanted to chime in here to say after a year+ of riding the trails on my low level hardtail....I finally got my FS! Jedi was a whole new experience!!! So much more stability which led to more confidence/speed. Climb was actually much easier. Was told FS are heavy, but actually my hardtail was heavier frame and low level components so guess that made a difference. I don't know really, but don't care Also did Encinal up to ETZ Malloy for the first time, which was a fun trail. Not tech, but still a fun ride. Can't wait to get back out this weekend!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=nokfir2;9328673]so far since moving here this is my fav trail, not in SM tho. talk about exposure lol. its like this for 13 miles :-)

That's the Sam Merrill Trail.

Big Hittin'
    i know.
    29er's are Goofy

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    For those of you who ride the canyon / ridge / jedi / and even bent arrow, where do you usually park? Last time I parked over at Queensferry / Bayliss a woman was giving me a hard time. The posted signs are confusing.
    Last edited by stencil; 03-04-2013 at 04:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Re: Good Trails Near Santa Monica

Quote Originally Posted by stencil View Post
    For those of you who ride the canyon / ridge / jedi / and even bent arrow, where do you usually park? Last time I parked over at Queensferry / Bayliss a woman was giving me a hard time. The posted signs are confusing.
    When going up Sully canyon, I park on Bayliss, between Westridge Rd and Queensferry. I've never had a problem with the residents. Just park near the other cars with bike racks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone have a decent course that starts around Sullivan, goes up and across to farmers/bent arrow, and then maybe back down? What route would you take to do this?

b a n n e d
    Anyone have a decent course that starts around Sullivan, goes up and across to farmers/bent arrow, and then maybe back down? What route would you take to do this?
    Couple different ways to do this . . . where exactly are you starting?

I used to start from my house and ride up Sullivan ridge to Mulholland, ride across and down farmers, then back to Sullivan and head down through Sullivan canyon, drop back down Horse Trail, dumping me out onto Sunset then back home. About 21 miles and 2400' of elevation.

There are a few options along the way including dropping down Squirrel Cage and riding up the canyon to Mulholland, you can also head back down via Jedi or cut over to The Hub and ride down Will Rogers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm thinking of climbing Westridge this time (usually climb Sullivan Canyon) to the nike site, then over past the hub to do farmers / broken arrow, back around on Mulholland, then down Jedi and Squirrel Cage back to the cars at Bayliss/Queensferry. Sounds like a decent route?

I usually climb the canyon but I'm with some slower riders and according to strava Westridge is a somewhat easier climb. Haven't done it but it's a 3 compared to a 2 (Strava's scale). I've taken one of them up Sullivan Canyon and he kinda hated it, especially the last exposed bit.

b a n n e d
    I'm thinking of climbing Westridge this time (usually climb Sullivan Canyon) to the nike site, then over past the hub to do farmers / broken arrow, back around on Mulholland, then down Jedi and Squirrel Cage back to the cars at Bayliss/Queensferry. Sounds like a decent route?

I usually climb the canyon but I'm with some slower riders and according to strava Westridge is a somewhat easier climb. Haven't done it but it's a 3 compared to a 2 (Strava's scale). I've taken one of them up Sullivan Canyon and he kinda hated it, especially the last exposed bit.
    Totally doable route. But I think Westridge is only "easier" because its shorter, and to climb Westridge from Bayliss/Queensferry would necessitate a grueling road climb to the dirt. And I think you may be thinking of something else besides The Hub. By hitting NIKE, and heading towards Sullivan, you wouldn't go as far as the hub. You'd hit Farmers first and then turn back. The Hub is farther West, past Reseda and into Topanga. Its where WR Backbone starts.

If your friend hated climbing the Canyon, they're going to really hate ANY of the other routes up to Mulholland . . . IMO, Sullivan Ridge is the easiest as its a pretty steady grade with only 2 real steep spots (one right when you hit dirt, the other just after the Oak Tree).

If you want a super easy climbing, beginner friendly route, head out to Backbone and start at Encinal. VERY easy climbing but fun singletrack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Totally doable route. But I think Westridge is only "easier" because its shorter, and to climb Westridge from Bayliss/Queensferry would necessitate a grueling road climb to the dirt. And I think you may be thinking of something else besides The Hub. By hitting NIKE, and heading towards Sullivan, you wouldn't go as far as the hub. You'd hit Farmers first and then turn back. The Hub is farther West, past Reseda and into Topanga. Its where WR Backbone starts.

If your friend hated climbing the Canyon, they're going to really hate ANY of the other routes up to Mulholland . . . IMO, Sullivan Ridge is the easiest as its a pretty steady grade with only 2 real steep spots (one right when you hit dirt, the other just after the Oak Tree).

If you want a super easy climbing, beginner friendly route, head out to Backbone and start at Encinal. VERY easy climbing but fun singletrack.
    Yeah, I love that route as well, but they're coming down to the Sully area tomorrow AM to keep it more local for me.

If we're gonna climb the ridge, where does one usually park?

b a n n e d
    To climb the ridge, you'd park at amalfi and Capri. If you start there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks as always, 007. Ended up doing the usual "up-the canyon and down Jedi to squirrel cage" as my friends were being a bit more noobish than expected. One took a spill on upper jedi even after I warned him to avoid the jumps. Whatchagonnado.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Anyone notice that squirrel cage is REALLY lose lately? Haven't been down it in a while but I went OTB my first time ever taking it back into the canyon. May have been me getting used to new tires, but I was surprised. My knee isn't happy with me either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone notice that squirrel cage is REALLY lose lately? Haven't been down it in a while but I went OTB my first time ever taking it back into the canyon. May have been me getting used to new tires, but I was surprised. My knee isn't happy with me either.
    Squirrel cage did get better at some point in 2014, but it's getting loose again. Does anyone know who maintains that trail occasionally? I want to help out but i don't want to step on any toes or change anything that someone wouldn't want changed.

Given that squirrel cage has been cleared of loose rocks in the past, I'm assuming it would be fine to just clear the scree off again, but i want to double check.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Apologies for reviving a dead thread, but i figured it was better than starting a new one.

Does anyone know of a way to get from the start of Sullivan fire road near amalfi across to backbone, other than climbing up J-Drop? If J-drop is the only option, is that a terrible idea to climb up it? I've never ridden it so i don't know if i would have to resort to hike-a-bike and would be in the way of riders coming down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    You can ride down Amalfi to Sunset and climb up Backbone starting from Will Rodgers State Park.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
    You can ride down Amalfi to Sunset and climb up Backbone starting from Will Rodgers State Park.
    thanks! that's what i figured was the best way - i was hoping there was another connecting route somewhere up sullivan ridge, but it looks like not

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234