Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

The good stuff "Trails needed" HELP

Went to Rocky peak, Too far for me but I needed to go to Simi Valley anyway! There were no tire tracks...
    Tampaland was mowed over by housing...
    Devils Punchbowl, out by Littlerock! No tire marks either. The wilderness cop said there are break in's at the staging area. They break windows and steal your stuff.

I recently got discouraged with local snow skiing due to Sno-boarders! Guess the years are catching up?? "50" Not against it, just so changed.

Now that I'm making a comeback, the Mtn bike scene in my area seems to have gone to sheet.

HELP! Where is the top secret good stuff? Love single track, switchback kinda stuff. Live in Palmdale.
    Last edited by jimbowho; 01-05-2010 at 11:39 AM.

Bikes Bacon and Beer!
    Looks like Charles Patterson has a sly list of spots in your area...check out Wide grin guide to Mt. Biking in Los Angeles County.
    "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary,and glory is forever!"
    -Matt Hoffman

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip. I have snooped around a bit! Looks like my spot will be Devils Punchbowl. There is a trail, "Burkhart" That no hikers so far have been on. It seems like I have been getting the whole place to myself. Weekends have mostly hikers and lots of them so vandalism is at a minimum. Just don't want to do mid week. By the way! That trail is great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm riding the Punchbowl tomorrow so you're welcome to come along if you're not tired of it! I go east towards South Fork and back, then west on Burkhardt for a few miles and back. Been riding up there for 18 years and never had any break ins or thefts. I've ridden just about everything within an hour of the Antelope Valley so let me know when you want to ride. Check out my recent thread on North L.A. County trails. There are some excellent trails up here. The high altitude trails are under snow now but there's still lots to ride.

mtbr member
    OH great! Ive been on the bike five times in the last three weeks since 2002 and I'm gonna hook up with Maddog. Just my luck! But I'm getting jazzed to hear there are more riding spots nearby.
    I have drawn a line "Literally" in the sand each time I went on burkhardt, To better myself each time. Check it out tomorrow, You can't miss it. My last trip was last Saturday and I made it as far as the windmill, then down to the streambed. I bonked bad on the way back, but it was great riding again.

With that said! If your willing to babysit and do a snale's pace on the climbs, I would like to hook up and ride some of your stuff. I will be free to ride in two weeks, maybe midweek? Trust me not wussin out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbowho
    OH great! Ive been on the bike five times in the last three weeks since 2002 and I'm gonna hook up with Maddog. Just my luck! But I'm getting jazzed to hear there are more riding spots nearby.
    I have drawn a line "Literally" in the sand each time I went on burkhardt, To better myself each time. Check it out tomorrow, You can't miss it. My last trip was last Saturday and I made it as far as the windmill, then down to the streambed. I bonked bad on the way back, but it was great riding again.

With that said! If your willing to babysit and do a snale's pace on the climbs, I would like to hook up and ride some of your stuff. I will be free to ride in two weeks, maybe midweek? Trust me not wussin out.

That's just a nickname from my high school basketball playing days a few decades ago! I'm not very intimidating on the trails! Let's keep in touch and do some riding. There's a small mtb group at my church that is riding Burnt Peak west of Lake Hughes on Sat. Jan. 30th. That's 2 weeks away so let me know if you want to go. I teach at a high school so midweek rides are doable especially as the days get longer. I'll look for your line tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Sounds good to me! Never heard of burnt peak. Guess I'm a rooky!!! Thanks,

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

I'm 50 y.o. and got back on the bike last year after a 15-20 year hiatus.
    My son-in-law and I joined Maddog at Devils Punchbowl today. Burkhart was a pretty challenging trail, but a lot of fun too.You would have been fine on todays ride - I was bringing up the rear all day! Maddog was a great guide (thanks for the ride Maddog!).

Not sure where you are in Palmdale, but I often ride right out of the parking lot on Barrel Springs Road and Pearblossom Hwy where the equestrian trail is. There are plenty of trails near there and I ride routes anywhere from 7 to 20 miles or longer that start there. A mix of Jeep trails, singletrack and fire roads.
    If the rain doesn't get here tomorrow I'll be riding up there. If you're interested let me know and we'll meet and hit some trails.

mtbr member
    I would love to ride Devils Punch Bowl sometime. The only problem I have is I keep a real busy schedule. I will try to check this site often to see if you guys are riding when I'm off. Next weekend is pretty much filled thanks to the 12 Hours of Temecula. I got Maddog's invite but was in San Diego. (I am not a fast rider either, I just like to ride.)
    2010 Specialized Epic Expert Carbon
    2008 SL2
    2005 S-Works E5
    and the patience of a 2 yr old.

mtbr member

Great

Mad! Fuzzy, Pain! Looks like my kinda group. Glad I posted. I'm out for the next two weeks, hate to be off the bike. Will surface and PM soon enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You're welcome! It was a great day to ride especially with the current bad weather. We just beat the 1st storm by a day! jimbo, just post or pm when you can ride. I'm lucky to have lots of time to ride. But with a Mad, Fuzzy and Pain, I'm not sure if we're ready for a Who but we'll give it a shot!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Keep posting guys.
    The weather is crappy and the job is busy at the moment but I picked up a new bike last year so I need to ride it.

mtbr member
    Ok so it's Mad, fuzzy, pain, who, Now arch? This is gonna be good! I had a Stinky-5 and went back to a HT Specialized. Hope your also an old has been never was too. See what I started? Lets all hook up when we don't sink in!

Who's on first? Thanks Mad, looks like your trail boss!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm slow but I usually keep going.
    Probably never was and getting older.

Came out here 14 years ago for a job. Looked a bit a bikes but didn't get into it at the time. Probably should have. The local shop I checked out back then didn't have prices shown, didn't ask if they could help you, and the guys I knew who were riding didn't seem to be doing that much of it.

One of my buds got a 2002 HKEK and I thought nice. Then in 2004 I was TDY back east and picked up a 2003 Big Sur. When I came back out here some of my buds dragged me into and through enough stuff that I felt the need for a full squish. Still have the HT for a spare and because it is especially fun on the smoother stuff.

They guys I've been riding with the past year or two will probably pick back up around April.
    Last edited by archer; 01-20-2010 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Here are some pics:
    couple 2008 Mammoth trip pics, near the bottom of sand canyon if I recall correctly.
    I'm the ugly dude in black.

Cannell 2008 group at the top, I'm on the right, last one off the hill.

Cannell 2009 group at the top I'm the 7th from the right, and the next to last one off the mountain. I was riding cleanup but I would have probably still been the GIB.
    The guy on the right forgot his helmet at the bottom of the hill and somebody nicked it before he could get back down on the shuttle ride.
    (I can't belive we crammed everyone into the same shortbus for the ride to the top!)

Arvin 2009 becoming the traditional easy starter group ride for the year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The good stuff "Trails needed" HELP-mammoth2008-small-.jpg  

The good stuff "Trails needed" HELP-mammoth2008_3.jpg  

The good stuff "Trails needed" HELP-cannell2008-small-.jpg  

The good stuff "Trails needed" HELP-cannel_041011_pgh_imgp0224.jpg  

The good stuff "Trails needed" HELP-arvin2009crop.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a Fisher HT I bought in the '80's that I rode a lot the first 5 years, but only a few times a year since the '90's. I've always been into mx and dirt bikes and when my son turned 5 or 6 we did the mx thing for 10 yrs or so and the mtb got hung up in the shed.

Last year my desk job helped me put on 50 extra lbs. I didn't need, so I started pedaling with my 2 son-in-laws (30 and 32 yo) and my son (25). Keeping up with them was hard enough, but enduring all the jokes about the no-suspension "dinosaur" I was riding made it even more challenging.

I made a commitment to myself that if I lost 20 lbs. I would buy a full suspension bike. I bought a Giant Anthem after losing 25 lbs. Since buying that bike I've lost another 25 lbs.

So I ride with the young bucks for fitness and do what I can to keep up. The old adage "old age and treachery triumphs over youth and inexperience everytime" applies .
    But I look forward to riding some good trails with some guys closer to my own age!

I raced Big Bear last Sept. and am planning on doing at least one Team Big Bear race this year. Maybe more if it's fun!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Went to Rocky peak, Too far for me but I needed to go to Simi Valley anyway! There were no tire tracks...
    Tampaland was mowed over by housing...
    Devils Punchbowl, out by Littlerock! No tire marks either. The wilderness cop said there are break in's at the staging area. They break windows and steal your stuff.

I recently got discouraged with local snow skiing due to Sno-boarders! Guess the years are catching up?? "50" Not against it, just so changed.

Now that I'm making a comeback, the Mtn bike scene in my area seems to have gone to sheet.

HELP! Where is the top secret good stuff? Love single track, switchback kinda stuff. Live in Palmdale.

i ride over at rocky peak and have never had a problem. now that the off ramp was built the cops allways wait up there so i dont think any break-ins will be a problem. my favorite trail is hummingbird. you start out going up the main path of rocky peak and depending on if you ride up it or push your bike up it should take about 15 min on foot to get to the trail. follow the main path and you will see a wooden green post that has 'hummingbird' written on it. you make a left there and ride the trail all the way down and it ends at the top of kuner by the freeway. if you have an xc bike then you can ride the santa susanna pass back to your car or if you are with someone have them park their care down there. its a fun trail and i recommend it to anyone who is into riding

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by jonny530
    i ride over at rocky peak and have never had a problem. now that the off ramp was built the cops allways wait up there so i dont think any break-ins will be a problem. my favorite trail is hummingbird. you start out going up the main path of rocky peak and depending on if you ride up it or push your bike up it should take about 15 min on foot to get to the trail. follow the main path and you will see a wooden green post that has 'hummingbird' written on it. you make a left there and ride the trail all the way down and it ends at the top of kuner by the freeway. if you have an xc bike then you can ride the santa susanna pass back to your car or if you are with someone have them park their care down there. its a fun trail and i recommend it to anyone who is into riding
    I
    helped build that trail in 1991...and started riding mtn bikes in 2002...that was the first trail I ever rode....just love that trail
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I
    helped build that trail in 1991...and started riding mtn bikes in 2002...that was the first trail I ever rode....just love that trail
    Timbers! I too have a trail, I Yes I made in the evenings called the I.S.D.E. International six days Enduro. It is now famous with the off road boys. At one time I could spank anyone on my loop, but now there are squattrs that hammer me on my own $hitt. Looking forward to get out to Rocky Peak and find that Hippy monument and your trail! I'm sure your stuff is good and junk. I'm back!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

A.V. Group .......

I'm off on Feb. 15 for Presidents Day and planning on getting some riding in.

Depending where the snow level is maybe Golden Eagle or Grass Valley or ... ?

mtbr member
    Didn't mean to vanish. This weekend is USDR, then next one is a National Hare&Hound, then next is my work party weekend, then our Checkers M.C. race the following. Haven't pedaled for weeks. My living room looks like a Mtn bike shop! Does that count? Jenny is not liking the dinette set as a work bench with the Park stand etc. Looks all factory. At least I look like I ride!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Supposed to be working but I might be able to flex some hours.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm off that day too. Hard to say what will be ridable by then. Did you see the thread in Passion about the Klunker race in the Joshua Ranch area? Looks like fun but I don't have a bike that qualifies. I ride that area frequently and always seem to find a new piece of trail. That area is a good possibility for singletrack if we can avoid the race. There are some other places that may be dry by then. I'll keep in touch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I

I have to agree with you hummingbird is a great trail. Been riding it forever...back when i was 10-12 I didn't have a mountain bike so we would ride it on our bmx bikes. The idea always sounded fun until you got a lot of speed with no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm thinking Golden Eagle may be pretty good on Monday! There will probably still be some snow on the north side and in the shade but it's sure warming up between now and then! All you Antelope Valley guys check your pm's and if anyone else is interested, let me know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast