I AM The Burger King

Good starter trail in the 909/626 area?

Just got my bike and looking to learn how to ride some trails. If anyone can point me in the right direction towards any easy beginning trails in the area that would be awesome

lco
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Starter trail

Well in the 626 area, I would recommend Brown Mt.. You have many end points depending on your condition. Starting of at the parking near the JPL entrance on Windsor, you have a good mile or so of flat area riding before you start climbing.

1 - Ham radio antenna if you are really out of shape. You'll see it on your right after a few switchbacks.

2 - Midpoint lookout. First view overlooking Pasadena.

3 - Brown Mt. saddle or 'Y'

4 - and if your really up to speed you can hang a left at the saddle and head on over to the Ken Burton trailhead.

5 - feeling adventerous, continue on to Switzer picnic area. etc. etc. etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    You can also go left to Lower Arroyo--way easier than Brown and still fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Marshall Cyn off of Wheeler in San Dimas and Claremont Hills Wilderness Park off of Mills Ave are nice but can get crowded with hikers on the weekends. Chino Hills, from either the Chino Hills or Brea entrance, is also a good bet.

I AM The Burger King
    Could I get coordinates or maybe a google earth location
    FREE photo hosting at UpItAll! Try it now for free! No pop ups, no ads, 99% uptime! www.UpItAll.Com

Super Fly
    For the 626 area, you have many selections. First off is Turnbull Canyons. Its behind Rio Hondo College. There is two way of accessing it. Secnd would me Marshall Canyons mention above. Third would be El Prieto (JPL). Then if you want to get extreme, you can try the Angeles National Forest. Many Nice trails up there. Check out Geoladders.com. Lots of good informations on trails, Directions to trail heads, trail elevations. Pretty much everything about the trails. What I suggest is try to ride with a group. I normally ride with the people of ERMTB.com or SOCALTRAILRIDERS.org . Very cool bunch of riders who never leaves anyone behind. Many different skill levels, etc.

-Tin

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    As mentioned above, geoladders.com has tons of good info. So does http://mybikesite.com/socal/trails/. Also of interest to you would be Bonneli/Puddingstone and Skyline/Schabarum in the Puente Hills between Fullerton Rd. and the 605. A section of the Skyline goes through the hills behind MSAC if you're in that area.