mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Good shuttle drop off point for Santa Ana River Trail first timers?

There is a lot of good information on the web about the Santa Ana River Trail, but I'm still trying to figure out where a good drop off/starting point would be for two newbs to the trail.

Basically, I want to have my wife drop me and my friend off at an appropriate point on the trail and would like to descend into Mentone/Redlands and ride home to South Redlands.

If we have her drop us off at say 9am and we want to be off our bikes between 2pm and 3pm, can anyone suggest a good drop off point for the wife?

Also, is there a way to decsend 100% on singletrack or is it a mix of singletrack and fire roads?

mtbr member
    We just did about 30 miles one way last weekend. Some info here:
    http://www.clipdin.com/forum/index.php/topic,349.0.html

We prolly started riding around 0800 I'm guessing and made it to the cars a little after 1:00. Includes a rest stop at the store, coupla broken chains and four flats.

Over the Hill
    The easest introdution to SART is:

Park at the bottom of Glass Road were it meets Seven Oaks Road or River Road, ride the dirt road (east/upstream) that parallels Santa Ana River to South Fork Campground then take SART back to Glass Road. If you feel like more riding, do the Middle section of SART between Glass Road and Middle Control Road as a out and back.

Dean

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the information.

dstepper: If I don't put together a good one way that takes us to Redlands.
    I'll use the option you gave as a plan B.

scottay: Where did you guys leave your cars for your ride? Mentone? Let me know and then I'll figure in how long it would take to get from where you said you left your cars to my house in Redlands.

My friend is a friend from work who is flying in from Canada for meetings and wants to do an epic Socal ride. I'm really not much of a mtber for the sake of mtbing, but I know that the SART can be an epic ride if you do it one way all the way to Redlands and if you ride with the knowledge that there is no car waiting for you and the only way home is on your bike. That should be enough to leave an impression on him.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=kellyc]

scottay: Where did you guys leave your cars for your ride? Mentone? Let me know and then I'll figure in how long it would take to get from where you said you left your cars to my house in Redlands.

QUOTE]

If you look at those links in clipdin.com i think it shows the spot. I t may be 2.2 miles from the frwy? Theres a pullout on the side of the road, paved parking to play in the river i guess. On the opposite side of the road is the SART. Its a fireroad/jeeptrail that goes up into the hills. Takes about 20 minutes from there to the dropoff spot. Hope that helps!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Great trail, fortunately I'm nearby in Yucaipa. I try to get out there 4-5 x a month. I usually start off at Angelus Oaks behind the store. Great scenery & riding. I do round trips so I can't help you w/a drop off.

Have fun & enjoy!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I have no idea why people shuttle that trail. There is no sustained DH anywhere. Follow dstepper's instructions for a good start.

Our usual loop is about a 50 miler that has a few different "tap out" spots where you can limp back if need be...

Over the Hill
    We shuttle other trails out there but not normilly SART.

Dean

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I am heading out there this weekend and have shuttled it once with a group once in the past. I never shuttle, but what is the best way to the ultimate singletrack route without shuttling. I am strong and can do most any ride... Any ideas on the BEST route out in the area?

Over the Hill
    Park at the turn out,Highway 38 and Middle Control Road, also called Mill Creek Road. Pedal back to Angelus Oaks. Take the dirt road pass Post Office and go the second dropin for the SART...ride out to Southfork Campground...come back the same way. It does seem a little easier coming back (except the last climb back to the Post Office) but not worth shuttling.

There are other trails out there in the Jenks Lake area that can be thrown in the mix. Have fun...good riding out there.

Dean

mtbr member
    Have ridden SART many times. Have done up and back starting from Lock Leven (Mountain Home Creek Rd.) going up the "old" HWY 38 to Angeles Oaks. There is a small Christian Camp there and a few places to park. There is also a picnic area right before this turn off that you can park at also. Once in Angelus Oaks ride past the store and up the fire road to 2nd drop-in and take the SART down to where it splits off at Thompson Hunting Ground Rd. Going left takes you back to HWY 38, going right takes you down behind Seven Oaks dam. Once at HWY 38 you can ride back into Redlands from there, or go left and ride back up to Lock Leven to the vehicle. IMHO it's more fun to go right, but good luck if they catch you behind the dam. They may make you turn around and go back.

Have also shuttled this route with friends who don't want to ride up the hill. Not all of us are as fit as others but enjoy some technical single track, but at least they are off their arse and on their bike having fun. Wife usually drops us off behind the store at Angelus Oaks and we ride up to trail head and take SART down to THG Rd. and then back into Mentone or Yucaipa, or where ever the beer and burgers are waiting. You can actually drive all the way up to the 2nd drop-in and turn around there.

When alone, I prefer to ride the middle/upper section of the SART starting from the bottom of Middle Control Rd. The drive down to the river (creek actually) is slow, but once there I park my truck and ride up to SART and ride the trail to Glass Rd. take rest and then ride the upper section to where it dumps out back at HWY 38 and then ride back from there. Great single track with creek crossings, lots of great scenery and in the summer lots of shade. There are tons of other options from this starting point and you can pick up a map at the Ranger Station just past Bryant St. on HWY 38 before you go up the hill. The book "Mountain Biking Southern Calif" also details this trail system.
    [SIZE="2"]Give me a lotta lumps . . . a whole lotta lumps.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Hey,

I checked out SART last week and got confused a couple times. Help me clear some things up, por favor. After parking at bottom of Middle Control Road (an unnecessary waste of time, if you ask me(see below)) and making the climb up to the parking lot along 38, we went up past the post office and general store. I wanted to see what was past the second SART drop-in and ended up riding a few miles (5 or so) up the fireroad until we came upon another SART trail opening (we took this to the right or eastward). You also had an option to go west (is this part of the trail any good?) Anyway, the trail was pretty fun but with some climbs up sandy patches until you get to the 2nd SART dropin point that most people know about. After this point it gets even more fun with the fast flowy singletrack we all love so much. The only thing keeping you from going too fast is flying off the sandy exposed corners...

Anyway, soon enough you get back to Middle Control Road. It was getting dark so we had to ride back all the way down to get to our car. On way down, I noticed 2 other SART entry points. One was about 60 feet down from where I just came out onto the road, but another one a few hundred yards further down. Which one should I take?

It's kind of hard to explain so if you don't know what I'm describing, I can try to explain better.

I'm planning to go back to SART on Saturday but this time will park alongside 38 at top of Middle Control Road and saving the climb back up MCR for the end of ride. The climb is fairly easy (granny gear not needed) and takes less time to ride up it than to drive down and back up it.

The link provided above : http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/1558193 shows the route better than anything else I've found online. i just want to clarify the ideal route for a challenging 30-50 mile route with no shuttling.

Thanks,
    wiggum

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Wiggum,

I know exactly where you're talking about.

First off, you're right, there is no need to drive down middle control road. It's not that tough of a climb to finish on.

Secondly, when you come out at Middle Control Rd, and you have one trailhead about 60ft down, and then another a couple hundred yards down, it doesn't make too much difference which one you take. If you take the first one, it'll drop you out on the second one, maybe 100 yards up from the trailhead. I usually take the first one, but there are a couple spots where the trail is washed out on it. It's not the best section of SART, but still worth it in my book.

If you want a truly epic ride and you're able to do 50-60 miles, I'd start at the Loch Leven parking lot. Ride up the Old Highway, then hit up the SART like you did before, continue on all the way to South Fork. Then turn around and come back, but when you come back don't take the Old Hwy, just stay on the SART. You'll come out about 2 miles down from where you parked your car. Just ride up the highway back to Loch Leven (or just park your car here so you don't have to finish with the little hwy climb). I couldn't handle that much mileage, but I have done every section in bits and pieces.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I also have some descriptions of the SART on my blog. Included is a shuttle option. Just click on SART under Ride Descriptions.

http://socalmtbiking.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice, P. After reading about Strawberry Peak on that link you posted, I'm gonna need to check that place out as well. Since your other favorites are SART and Noble, I can tell we have the same tastes in trails...

I hope to be riding SART by 11am on Saturday, after driving up from SD. Should give me enough time to do a lot of exploring before it gets dark.