mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good Samaritan in Morro Bay

Good Samaritan Morro Bay 11/04/07
    Looking for the good samaritan, I believe his name is Gary who helped my friend out on the trails near Morro Bay last Sunday. He/you were so kind to take Shannon, broken shoulder and all to the hospital. She would love to thank you but in all her pain and confusion she negleted to get any contact info from you. If you are Gary or know who Gary is PM me so I can forward you on to Shannon.
    Thanks so much!
    Lynn

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hanzo,
    always appreciate a good samaritan but I'm looking for THE good samaritan

jms
    mtbr member

How's your freind doing?

Quote Originally Posted by sheclimbs
    Good Samaritan Morro Bay 11/04/07
    Looking for the good samaritan, I believe his name is Gary who helped my friend out on the trails near Morro Bay last Sunday. He/you were so kind to take Shannon, broken shoulder and all to the hospital. She would love to thank you but in all her pain and confusion she negleted to get any contact info from you. If you are Gary or know who Gary is PM me so I can forward you on to Shannon.
    Thanks so much!
    Lynn
    Read your post. No, I'm the good samaritan either. I've been riding out @ the Cabrillo Peaks/Morro Bay area a fair amount lately [like today]. Sorry to read about your friend, there are a few places that wouldn't be great to fall on @ those trails. Wonderful to read that someone went above and beyond for a stranger. How's your friend? Hope she's doing well and is back up and riding again soon.

just along for the ride
    Gary might be the ventana 29'er in blue that lives in N. Morro Bay? If so next time I see him I'll relay the message!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Read your post. No, I'm the good samaritan either. I've been riding out @ the Cabrillo Peaks/Morro Bay area a fair amount lately [like today]. Sorry to read about your friend, there are a few places that wouldn't be great to fall on @ those trails. Wonderful to read that someone went above and beyond for a stranger. How's your friend? Hope she's doing well and is back up and riding again soon.
    She's on the mend, fractured her shoulder but the doctor says she should be back on the trails in 6 - 8 weeks.

Thanks for asking!
    Last edited by sheclimbs; 11-14-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Harvest Widow
    Thanks to my good friend Lynn for posting for me. I've ridden the Cabrillo Peaks trails in Morro Bay probably 3-4 times a week because it's so close to the house. I've never had a problem. Of course the one day I rush out of the house and forget my cell phone and I.D. I had the worst crash I've ever had while riding. I slipped off one of the narrow wooden bridges towards the back of the park and fell about 15ft. into a rock and poison oak filled ravine. I knew right away I either broke or dislocated my shoulder. I called for help for maybe 5 minutes before giving up the hopes of anyone hearing me. I dragged myself and my bike out of the ravine and hiked about a mile before running into a fellow mountain biker, who without a second thought took my bike, put it in his truck and drove me to the hospital. All I got was his first name, Gary. I think he rode a silver or polished hardtail. I remember that he had wavy, gray hair. And that he drove a black pick-up. Every time we drive by the trailhead, I look for his truck in hopes of being able to thank him for helping me. The guy even drove through a red light to get me to the hospital that much faster. If anyone knows him, please pass on this information. I would love to get in contact with him.
    I am on the mend from my crash. I dislocated and fractured my shoulder. Besides a horrible case of poison oak, which is now gone and numerous bruises and cuts I'm doing great. I'm anxious to get back on my bike!
    Shannon
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 11-19-2007 at 02:47 PM.

i can't type the letter s
    Wow, that fall sounds bad. Glad to hear you're doing well. Best remedy for PO that I've found is 50% Isopropanol solution. You can itch the scratch while at the same time dry the oil out so it won't spread.

just along for the ride
    Glad you survived the ordeal will look out for the GS, I live in Morro Bay and also ride 3X a week there, heal fast!

jms
    mtbr member

Glad you're on the mend

I really like Cerro Cabrillo too! Practically right out the back door these days, fun little trails, lightly used, and nice scenery. And yes, I often wonder about those wooden bridges with the turns in the middie of them: Is it wet enough, and am going fast enough to lose the front end and flop off into the weeds? So far, the answer has been "No". So far.... My other "grim fantasy" out there is to botch a turn and wind up doing a full body hug with one of the Prickly Pears
    Quite the ordeal and tale out there. Sometimes the kindness of strangers is incredible. I wonder if confronted with similar circumstances, what lengths I'd go to. Glad to read you're on the mend and looking forward to getting back to it. Welcome to the board and hope your Turkey Day is grand.

SLO Mtn biker!
    Shannon,

Glad to hear you're recovering from your injuries and PO! I live in Los Osos and ride Cerro Cabrillo a couple times a month. It's a great ride for all skill levels and especially beautiful during high tide when the bay is full. Hopefully you've noticed many of the improvements being done to the trails out there...

I'd invite you SLO locals to come out to the trail work days put on by Central Coast Concerned Mountain Bikers (CCCMB.org) out there in MB and at MDO a couple times a year. It's a great bunch of local cyclists who work cooperatively with State Parks and are committed to maintaining access to local trails. This is especially important in light of several areas of the state where there are territory battles between the mtb'ers vs hikers vs equestrians, and trails have been shut off to mtb'ers. Plus, it's that much more satisfying to ride the trails that you've helped work on and/or build!

See ya on the trail,
    -Kevin

just along for the ride
    Kevin, Everybody does their part I do a couple hours a month on black hill hacking the dieing pines so give the gal a break. The improvements made on the spring/creek crossings are fine but best keep em straight. Turns on skinnies are not a good idea and you guys put them in sooo... Make that a note on the next meeting so future hurts are avoided. OK?
    Last edited by Brown_Teeth; 11-19-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Harvest Widow
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Teeth
    Kevin, Everybody does their part I do a couple hours a month on black hill hacking the dieing pines so give the gal a break. The improvements made on the spring/creek crossings are fine but best keep em straight. Turns on skinnies are not a good idea and you guys put them in sooo... Make that a note on the next meeting so future hurts are avoided. OK?
    The trail conditions are awesome and I have participated in some of the trail work. I'm still a bit new in MB and not one to insinuate myself into a bunch of people I don't know, so next time I'll be sure to try to introduce myself. However, (isn't there always a however???) I have to agree 100% about the turns on the bridges, specially the one I crashed on. It was a bit wet from the fog, and from no fault but my own I over corrected on the slight curve and went down hard into the ravine. That being said, I know what to expect and if ya see a chick on an Ellsworth walking her bike across one of those wooden bridges... it's me.

Thanks for the well wishes. I can't wait to get back on my bike, hopefully before the end of the year and get in some rides with you guys! Have a great turkey day! Eat lot's so you can work it off with a good ride.

just along for the ride
    I know several people that ate it on those bridges, some even got pretty messed up beyond a good dose of poison oak. Its a hazard of the trade so we all just heal up and remember to next time take it slow and do not lean into the turn. Heal fast !