Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12

    Good LBS in Irvine area

    I've been having a lot of trouble trying to get my rear derailleur adjusted properly and I think I'm just going to go into a shop and see if they will help me out for either a very small fee or for free (wishful thinking but whatever). Are there any good/helpful shops in the Irvine area that will actually help me out? I've been to Jax bike shop and the guys there are idiots. I had a headset problem that they looked in to, they put in a spacer and charged me for labor and the spacer. I went home and just for kicks looked at the headset one more time and it turns out I had the bottom bearing on up side down.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,292
    people always say good things about

    THE PATH
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,027
    The Path in Tustin.

    www.thepathbikeshop.com

  4. #4
    Commit or eat sh!t
    Reputation: Cable0guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,380
    Try Path, just like the others above. Most knowledgable. Pretty good selection of components too at reasonable prices.

  5. #5
    Chillin the Most
    Reputation: RED5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,029
    As others have said, The Path is good. Also maybe worth checking out is Bike Co. on Bake Pkwy. I know in the past they've gotten me out of some really tight jams.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Danimal1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    133
    Check out the Bike Company in Lake Forest on the Corner of Bake and Trabucco

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    The Path.

    You can check out their killer inventory while you are there

  8. #8
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    +1 for The Path. I like Switchback a lot, too.

  9. #9
    TPG
    TPG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    7
    The Bike Company on Bake east of Trabuco

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    44
    I'd say jax in irvine because I work there and last time I checked, it's pretty hard to call an entire shop idiots from one incident. Sorry that you had a problem with us, I sell the bikes so I can't take the blame for it, but I am hardly an idiot. thanks. And I'm not sure who you talked to in the service department, but I can definitely vouch for Jon (with no H) and Mark, they've got tons of experience. If you went during the summer it might have been some of the summer help we got (every now and then we hire seasonally), but other than that I would only ask who installed the bearing upside down in the first place, its not something a mechanic would usually do.

    Sorry for the long post, but I like my shop and I don't see why one incident must condemn a location's entire staff.

  11. #11
    nerfherder
    Reputation: scruffylooking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,677
    The Jax staff has typically been friendly and attentive. However, they usually don't have the small parts that I need when I go in and it has to be special ordered which will take X amount of days and blah blah blah.

    Maybe I'm spoiled by The Path because they seem to have just about anything you can ask for in stock.

  12. #12
    "so pitted"
    Reputation: The Crza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    111
    In Irvine I've been hitting Sand Canyon Cycles for basic repairs. Josh the manager/mech is a super good guy and a die hard pedal pusher. They have hooked me up proper over there with deals and good service.

    Most of the time I'll hit Bike Co though to nerd out on videos, mags and window shop.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12
    whydutchwhy: I'm sorry if I've offended you, but I have never really gotten quality service there. I took a road bike in once to have it converted from downtube shifters to "brifters" and I ended up having to do the derailleur adjustments myself. A friend came in and asked for 5 ft of brake and shifter cable and was given 3ft (not even enough to replace all the cables), but charged for 5. It's just small things like that irritate me. With the headset, I came in and asked to have it inspected but it was clearly not inspected, as the bottom bearing was upside down. Even if I'm not a big spender, I would expect the guys to actually take the headset apart, not just do the quick fix and drop in a spacer. Once again, I do not mean to insult you or the shop, its just I have never had a good experience.

    I'll check out the Path as I'll probablly need to get a new headset that most shops don't carry.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    459
    Hey you can try the new Rock N Road shop in Irvine. They are next to Sand Cyn and Portola in the new shopping center there.

  15. #15
    Some dude who digs bikes
    Reputation: steez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    171

    Path

    +1 more for the path. I stayed in whistler with a bunch of those guys in august, very friendly and knowledgeable. Can't always say the same for another shop that has been mentioned and is actually closer to me.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by philmagil
    whydutchwhy: I'm sorry if I've offended you, but I have never really gotten quality service there. I took a road bike in once to have it converted from downtube shifters to "brifters" and I ended up having to do the derailleur adjustments myself. A friend came in and asked for 5 ft of brake and shifter cable and was given 3ft (not even enough to replace all the cables), but charged for 5. It's just small things like that irritate me. With the headset, I came in and asked to have it inspected but it was clearly not inspected, as the bottom bearing was upside down. Even if I'm not a big spender, I would expect the guys to actually take the headset apart, not just do the quick fix and drop in a spacer. Once again, I do not mean to insult you or the shop, its just I have never had a good experience.

    I'll check out the Path as I'll probablly need to get a new headset that most shops don't carry.
    no worries, no harm done. we've got some good mechanics though, I'd be interested to hear who you talked to. I don't do it very often, but always err on the side of too much when cutting housing. I've had to deal with too short housing before and its never fun.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by whydutchwhy
    I'd say jax in irvine because I work there and last time I checked, it's pretty hard to call an entire shop idiots from one incident. Sorry that you had a problem with us, I sell the bikes so I can't take the blame for it, but I am hardly an idiot. thanks. And I'm not sure who you talked to in the service department, but I can definitely vouch for Jon (with no H) and Mark, they've got tons of experience. If you went during the summer it might have been some of the summer help we got (every now and then we hire seasonally), but other than that I would only ask who installed the bearing upside down in the first place, its not something a mechanic would usually do.

    Sorry for the long post, but I like my shop and I don't see why one incident must condemn a location's entire staff.
    Sorry man, I've been to your shop plenty of times (it's been years though, since I discovered The Path), and always left with a bad taste in my mouth. JAX never has what you need, and there is no effort made to try to get it. The shop is perfect for the non-enthusiast, which you can easily take advantage of. Anyone who knows what a good shop is, and knows bikes, knows to steer clear of JAX.

    Whether a mechanic has "tons of experience" is really irrelevant, if they can't communicate with customers in a helpful manner.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy aka Rut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,171

    Yet again...

    The Path.
    Great Service
    Great People
    Great Selection
    Great Prices
    Great Times
    Always preach the Gospel; even if you need to use words.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I decided to make things simple and head over to The Path. The guys there are pretty cool, although the shop gets pretty crowded fast. I have nothing but good things to say about my experience. Before doing any work one of the guys took apart the headset just to teach me some things (I guess you can't just run a headset without a bottom race, it kind of eats into the crown). I ended up having to replace it, but I'm glad that I won't have any more problems. I will probablly continue to go there just because I like the "small shop" feel and how well I was treated.

  20. #20
    Recovering Weight Weenie
    Reputation: Padre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,731
    Quote Originally Posted by philmagil
    I will probablly continue to go there just because I like the "small shop" feel and how well I was treated.
    And you'll likely continue to go back because it's the only shop in the OC that has such a vast and virtuous selection.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    53
    go to bike company. the path does not drink newcastle

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    24
    Sorry but The Path is not all that and a bucket of chicken. I've had numerous bad experiences with their snobish attitude. Seems as if you are not a hardcore rider you are not cool enough to help. Their inventory is great and I find myself wanting to go there to check out what's in stock, but it isn't without some trepidation due to how I have been treated. Now, if you want a good experience, go to any Rock n Road. They are plenty knowledgeable and tops when it comes to making you feel wanted as a customer. Just wish they had more selection.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    249

    I drink Newcastle

    Quote Originally Posted by turnerterror
    go to bike company. the path does not drink newcastle
    I jusr prefer PBR, or just about any pilsner or pale.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 2w4s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    983
    ^^^^

    What a snob. Too good for Miller Highlife, i see.
    nothing witty here...

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    53
    something is wrong when a mtber wont drink newcastle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •