mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Good Chiropractor?

Does anyone know of a good chiropractor near Irvine, Costa Mesa, or Newport?

mtbr member
    contact shane over at Core Chiropractic, he's a fellow mtn biker and does support for race teams..i've been having really bad lower back pain during climbs and so far after two weeks, they've been getting less and less painful. He won't guarantee a cure, but he'll tell you if he can help. http://endurancechiro.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Dr. Jeff Schones in Costa Mesa. Website is here. www.broadwaychiropractic.net

May not be as flashy as the "Endurance Chiro", but he is honest and truly cares about his patients. Tell him Pete sent you. I've been going to him for 13 years.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How is your flexilibility?

The reason I ask is because when I went to the chiro, I basically had a lower back injury due to HORRIBLE lower body flexibility. The tightness of my muscles caused some pelvic tiltage and some other stuff.

I have worked on my flexibility a great deal and now my back is back up to 90% and I feel with more flexibility (I can barely touch my toes now after warming up) I feel that I can be
    back to 100% and back to deadlifting heavy weights

If you are flexible, then sorry dont have much for you, haha..
    I have a chiro friend from the gym whose best friend has a place in Costa Mesa and I heard he is really good. He is a little more expensive because he does xrays and tries to really see what is the best way to go about correcting you.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Chiro = not real doctor aka quack-o-practor

I went to numerous chiros seeking help for what I thought was a back problem....they all say the same thing saying that crunching your spine and poping joints will cure everything....from bed waiting to low back pain...and migraines...

after a few years of searching....i finally went to a physical therapist....
    who intelligently looked past the back...the location of the symptoms...and the potential of 2 years of "adjustments...."

and discovered my left hip was significantly out of joint....he put it back (ouch) and with a about 12 visits and lots of excercises etc....i'm 100% symptom free.....

Your mileage may vary...just dont thing chiro's are the be-all-end-all....

mtbr member
    I go to Just Adjustig in Newport. And its a great chiro.
    Warrior's Society > WarriorsSociety.org
    Team Sho-Air > Team-shoair.com
    Coolest LBS > Switchbackcylery.com
    Socal Riders Unite > Socaltrailriders.org

cut like the fog.

dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Padre
    Chiro = not real doctor aka quack-o-practor

I went to numerous chiros seeking help for what I thought was a back problem....they all say the same thing saying that crunching your spine and poping joints will cure everything....from bed waiting to low back pain...and migraines...

after a few years of searching....i finally went to a physical therapist....
    who intelligently looked past the back...the location of the symptoms...and the potential of 2 years of "adjustments...."

and discovered my left hip was significantly out of joint....he put it back (ouch) and with a about 12 visits and lots of excercises etc....i'm 100% symptom free.....

Your mileage may vary...just dont thing chiro's are the be-all-end-all....
    A post like this only shows how stupid might be. I hardly think you're qualified to make an assumption like this on an entire profession that happens to have higher satisfaction rates from patients than medicine or physio.

Give your head a shake.

b.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2][/SIZE][/SIZE]

cut like the fog.

referral

Quote Originally Posted by SaddleJunkie
    Does anyone know of a good chiropractor near Irvine, Costa Mesa, or Newport?
    Performance Chiropractic 2646 Dupont Ave. Suite 210
    Irvine, CA 92612 View Map
    949-476-1250
    Email
    Dr. Christian Barney

this guy is a colleague and I have worked with him at a couple of Ironman events. Worthwhile to check out as he is a cyclist as well.

cheers,
    brad.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by bones
    A post like this only shows how stupid might be. I hardly think you're qualified to make an assumption like this on an entire profession that happens to have higher satisfaction rates from patients than medicine or physio.

Give your head a shake.

b.
    Wow. I struck a nerve eh? (pun intended)

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by A D NOH
    How is your flexilibility?

The reason I ask is because when I went to the chiro, I basically had a lower back injury due to HORRIBLE lower body flexibility. The tightness of my muscles caused some pelvic tiltage and some other stuff.

I have worked on my flexibility a great deal and now my back is back up to 90% and I feel with more flexibility (I can barely touch my toes now after warming up) I feel that I can be
    back to 100% and back to deadlifting heavy weights

If you are flexible, then sorry dont have much for you, haha..
    I have a chiro friend from the gym whose best friend has a place in Costa Mesa and I heard he is really good. He is a little more expensive because he does xrays and tries to really see what is the best way to go about correcting you.
    It is true that stretching can help substantially in reducing back pain, although which stretches will help you, may not be so easy to identify. To say "Go stretch, and it will help your back" is not entirely true. You need to do the right stretches for you and your specific condition.

BTW, if any chiro is NOT doing xrays, then they are not doing you any favors. To say that one is more expensive because they do them is a bit silly. If they are not doing them, then they aren't worth your business at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Thanks Guys!

Dr. Barney is literally across the street from where I work so I will give him a try first.

skin tight lycra
    Quote Originally Posted by tkblazer
    I've been working with Shane in Mission Viejo for about 6months now. He focused more on athletes and escpecially mountain bikers. He mountain bikes himself so can relate to the patient more. He is the official Team Doctor of 'Sho-Air Racing'. They also offer DMS and massage service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

be careful

I'm leary of Chiro's. I've seen 4 Chiro's and only one recommended that I see a Orthopedic for further analysis of my injury. (list of injuries: ankles, knees, shoulder dislocation, lower back injury and so on....) If you do plan on seeing a Chiro, I would recommend that he or she have an emphasis in sports injuries. Its very important that they know how the injury occurred and the degree of pain you're in. The may try to adjust you when you're already in agony. Not cool at all! Good luck with your injuries. Apply ice/cold pack to reduce the swelling/pain and rest that body.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

another debate on Chiro's

I'm avid surfer and MTB'er. Here's another debate on the legality of Chiropractors.

See URL:http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/sho...=0#Post1026734

mp3
    just ride
    I go to Dr Shane specifically for DMS and I couldn't be happier. DMS after a hard week of training, 20+ hours, allows me to go at it again the following week when I'm getting ready for priority races. I don't really know about his other services.

cut like the fog.

Legality of Chiros?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffen
    I'm avid surfer and MTB'er. Here's another debate on the legality of Chiropractors.

See URL:http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/sho...=0#Post1026734
    Hardly quality info from that linkage, and since when has the "legality" of Chiropractic been in question?

I recommend that if someone has questions about a chiro or the profession as a whole, go and have a chat with one in person. They will be willing to do that for you if they're worth their weight. Make your own informed decision from that. These discussions are dangerous as the information that gets put out there is so loaded with bias.

b.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I will recommend Dr. Demoss. He is a chiropractic in san clemente CA. He is good as I said I recommend him. Last year, I went down in my bike and got some back pains for a month. I went to him and did some session and the pain reduces until its gone.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The recommendation for Dr. Chris Barney is the best advice you will get. He practices Active release technique which is a practice of moving you through a range of motion and doing deep tissue massage to break up the fascia and restore range of motion. It has been a godsend for me. I live in the Palm Springs area and drive a 4 hour roundtrip to see him even though one of my best friends is a local chiropractor. Because of the work I do and the fact that I mountain bike I have a tendency to have very tight hip flexors that affect my back. The active release technique is a great cure for this. I have been seeing him probably twice a year for the past ten years and always got relief that also lasted.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My suggestion is to first see a physician (orthopedic surgeon, neurosurgeon, etc.) to see what is really going on with your back. A chiropractor is unlikely to provide you with a medical diagnosis of your problem, so it's good to know what you're dealing with before having a chiro 'adjust' you.

I'd been having lower back pain that developed into excruciating pain. I've been working with a neurosurgeon and ended up having spine surgery (discectomy) two weeks ago. If I had gone to a chiropractor, my diagnosis probably wouldn't have been made, and an adjustment would have done no good, and according to my neuro, could have easily made my condition worse.

Just my two cents.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    I found this guy thru my daughter. Two years latter I am now lower back pain free. Greathouse teaches you body to realign itself. I know I'm screwing this up but you can't go wrong with a short talk with Dr. Wayne http://www.seasidechiro.com/
    Tell him Princess Mark sent you
    Also he is a MTBR
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!