mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Good beginner trails in L.A. area

I'm just starting out in mountain biking and haven't biked in years so I'm realizing how rusty I am, so I should build up on easy trails first.

I know Malibu Creek State Park is good for beginners as it has moderate hills and is relatively flat but wow that's a far distance to travel.

I live in an area between West L.A. & Hollywood (Fairfax District).

Are there any closer by.

Just trails that don't involve intense climbing.

I've heard of the Betty B. Dearing trail near Mulholland near Studio City. I was told that's relatively easy. For some reason I think that's more hikers but I could be wrong.

I also prefer to use trails that many mountain bikers use. Seems like mountain bikers are hated by hikers, joggers, and equestrian riders.

I think there are some nice trails in the Palos Verdes area as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Check out Overview of the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area and Simi Valley

Look for the trails with the green dot rating on there. Most of the trails in socal will involve climbing -- just a matter of how long and how steep.

Cheeseboro has fun easy parts that are worth the drive. Sullivan Canyon is an easy climb for the first few miles and has some singletrack on the sides for the way down.

There is also Fulleron Loop, which is a nice trail and very beginner friendly. If you search around, there is a group that puts on beginner rides there. Good luck!

b a n n e d
    I think one of the best beginner trails is Backbone trail starting at Encinal and heading towards Circle X. Its (mostly) actual singletrack, the climbing is very gradual, and its difficult to get lost. Great place to get started. Cheseboro is good as well, and so is Sullivan canyon.

If you're gonna stick with the sport, you're just gonna have to get used to driving . . . . its part of the gig, but well worth it. My other suggestion is to just start tackling the big climbs. If you plan to stick with the sport, you're gonna have to build the endurance for climbing, because that's the only way to get to the really good stuff.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sullivan Canyon is perfect for beginners, once you work up the stamina you can get all the way up to Mulholland and beyond. Good parking too, just watch out for "La Blanca."

Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainstay View Post
    Sullivan Canyon is perfect for beginners, once you work up the stamina you can get all the way up to Mulholland and beyond. Good parking too, just watch out for "La Blanca."
    La Blanca?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire View Post
    La Blanca?
    Wrinkled old ***** on a white horse who hates anything on "her" trails and makes sure EVERYONE knows it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Re: Good beginner trails in L.A. area

I must be lucky. I ride Sullivan 2-3 times a month and no La Blanca encounters yet. Though I do come across horse sh** regularly...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Wrinkled old ***** on a white horse who hates anything on "her" trails and makes sure EVERYONE knows it.
    I've had more than my fair share of encounters with La Blanca. I don't consider her to be "wrinkled" or "old", but she's definitely one of the most miserable people in the world.

Just Ride!
    I've been riding Sullivan for a while now and I have not encountered La Blanca yet. But I did encounter a naked guy holding a fluffy parasol walking the fire road early one morning.
    I'm not sure which one would be a better encounter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mango View Post
    Though I do come across horse sh** regularly...
    ahhh, the mark of la blanca.
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pigtire View Post
    I've been riding Sullivan for a while now and I have not encountered La Blanca yet. But I did encounter a naked guy holding a fluffy parasol walking the fire road early one morning.
    I'm not sure which one would be a better encounter.
    I'm gonna take a pass on naked fluffy parasol guy as well.
    Strangest thing I've seen was a guy going down the canyon on what looked to be half a bike...which I quickly realized was a unicycle.

mtbr member
    I don't think Betty Dearing is worth much of any drive, it's short, super crowded on the weekends, and always seems to be in need of serious maintenance in one way or another. It can be connected with Fryman and Franklin Canyons, these are my local stomping grounds which I usually only ride during the week when I'm just looking for a quick workout, although there is a decent singletrack descent in Fryman. I'll second Sullivan and will throw in Cheseboro Canyon, very beginner friendly but more of a drive.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by El Mango View Post
    I'm gonna take a pass on naked fluffy parasol guy as well.
    Strangest thing I've seen was a guy going down the canyon on what looked to be half a bike...which I quickly realized was a unicycle.
    I've seen that guy out there. He's pretty damn good, and good with the GoPro too. Watched him setup a sweet cable-cam shot once.