Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Its only 1" on the map!

The Golden Eagle Trail

I rode the Golden Eagle trail back in September after our first bit of rains for the season and I really thought it was great ride. Good workout, great views, nice singletrack. You know all around good stuff.

Here are a few pictures from that ride

The early climbing views

MrMountainHop working on flat.

Just some Dude riding along.

[SIZE="4"]Here are the rest of the pictures and story.[/SIZE]

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Cool deal Bill. I rode it for the first time in years this fall. It was misty and cold, but very nice. By the way, a little trivia on how it got its name.

I was riding the trail with my buddy Kevin (see the blog) and we were crossing off lines on the map and that day it included a faded trail off the end of Liebre. Barely there in spots and very overgrown, we were stoked as parts of it were (as you found out) just magical. As we broke out onto the grassy knoll section we looked up and spotted a huge raptor circling over us. We grew up out here looking at turkey vultures and hawks and this was neither. It was very different. We took the best pic we could and asked the ranger naturalist when we saw her again and she believed it to be a Golden Eagle. She said they do pass that way every once and awhile.

In any case, the name stuck. the USFS was going to let that trail go back to the earth along with Five Deer Trail (officially Artesian Springs trail) but our interest in riding it and making it known again, and the fact we adopted Five Deer, kept that stuff open. That was a long time ago.

Oh and Five Deer...the name for that is another story.

Cool write up. I enjoy your journeys. We should ride sometime.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtroy; 12-10-2007 at 09:59 AM.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Great write-up, looks like you had nice soil conditions. Here's a video from a coupla years ago of the DH sections.

http://www.clipdin.com/index.php?ind...y_view&iden=12

scott

//

5 x 5
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy
    ...We took the best pic we could and asked the ranger naturalist when we saw her again and she believed it to be a Golden Eagle....In any case, the name stuck. the USFS was going to let that trail go back to the earth along with Five Deer Trail (officially Artesian Springs trail) but our interest in riding it and making it known again, and the fact we adopted Five Deer, kept that stuff open. That was a long time ago.
    Right on, mtroy. It's a great trail.

I rode Golden Eagle on Sunday. Great ride - cold, windy, and beautiful. Some pics:

"Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

mtbr member
    Great trail, one of my favorites. Dang chilly up there this time of year (that wind, brrr....), but the ride is worthy. Thanks for the pics and thank you, mtroy, for your part in keeping Golden Eagle open for us all to enjoy.
    Never give up, never surrender.

mtbr member
    Whats that on the side of the trail in the pic above the tire trax???

5 x 5
    Meow...! Man, was that a thrill.

With all the wind it presumably couldn't hear me, and as far as I could tell never knew I was there - which was fine with me.

About an hour later, on the other side of the ridge, I saw eight or nine head of deer, including a couple of young ones.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scottay
    Bobcat?
    Blog Ramblings

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    [QUOTE=MrMountainHop]Right on, mtroy. It's a great trail.QUOTE]

Yes it is. I have never wanted to ride it in the snow though....brrrrr. Very nice...and brave.

Where is that section with the rocks near the side of the trail? Very near the bottom or? I can't picture that for some reason, but it looks like you are riding up the trail there since the slope is on your left?
    Blog Ramblings

Its only 1" on the map!
    Bobcat?
    I would say that is a wee big for a bobcat

For reference, here is a bobcat on a more narrow road than the fireroad on Liebre Mountain

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    OK Bill, you got me. It is a grizzly bear, missed it the first time!

OK, just kidding.

Too big..mmmaybe. I cannot see a tail like a Mtn Lion would have....looong tails...still, I bet it is a kitty cat of some kind, bear jokes not withstanding. If I was a Lion, I would sure love to hang out on Liebre.

I used to host a ride that went over Liebre and ended below Five Deer in Leona Valley. Great ride......something like 45 miles or so of forest road.

This weekend, I was looking at pics from the early 90s of that ride. I am gonna do that again this next year.

Liebre is a very cool area as well as Sawmill Mtn to the east.
    Blog Ramblings

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMountainHop
    Right

]

BobCats
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

5 x 5

Having thought about this all day...

... I think that was a big-ass bobcat, not a mountain lion.

The cat seemed to be all brown, but the light was a little flat and I was seeing it through the tree, so it may have been striped. It had a bobbed tail - mountain lions have long tails; I suppose it's theoretically possible kitty got its tail chewed off in a fight... but it ain't likely.

I encountered the tracks literally right over the ridge from the cat, and they were obviously super-fresh. I thought at the time that the tracks were too small to belong to the animal I saw, but perhaps not.

Funny: either way, perception counts. I spent the next hour or so checking over my shoulder to avoid any eat-tation.

Man, I was so jazzed yesterday! You should have seen the way it swaggered. Oh well - let the quest continue.

Edit: when I got home from work I reviewed the other photos. No question it was a bobcat - ringed stripes are clear on the hind legs.
    Last edited by MrMountainHop; 12-10-2007 at 07:45 PM.
    "Check out dude."
    "Dude, crazy."

Its only 1" on the map!

Liebre is a very cool area as well as Sawmill Mtn to the east.
    That area is a major haul for me for a day-trip but I gonna have to go back up there and check out more of the area.

Front Range, Colorado
    [QUOTE=mtbbill]I would say that is a wee big for a bobcat

Bobcat, yes that is a Bobcat. Scottays picture is also a Bobcat.

Fat guy on a bike
    I want to ride this but I don't want to deal with snow .. I'm having a hard time dealing with 50 degrees as it is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I almost did Golden Eagle on Sunday but chose Devil's Punchbowl instead. It had too much snow to be fun and I only did 6 miles. Looks like G.E. had just the right amount of snow and no hikers! It's probably all melted now and will be great next weekend! If you or mtroy or mtbikebill want to ride it next weekend or any other time, let me know and I'll join you.

mtbr member
    Bobcat. Short tail and size. See them in Sycamore a lot. I've seen larger ones. Much too small to be a mtn lion (I've seen lions too.)

The body shape matches a bobcat, longer legs and shorter back compared to a mtn lion.

Where is that section with the rocks near the side of the trail? Very near the bottom or? I can't picture that for some reason, but it looks like you are riding up the trail there since the slope is on your left?
    It's near the top of the sandy singletrack. He's climbing toward the first fireroad crossing.

Ride Everything
    FOHC?

Friend Of Huckin' Kitty
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

stoked

I'd be stoked to hit this trail up. Mtbill had a super write up as usual and I'm sure we all would love to see/hear more from his exploits.

Let me know when someone wants to go midweek in the am.

J

mtbr member
    Tues/Weds work for me for the next few weeks. Whens school out Maddog?

scott

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    That area is a major haul for me for a day-trip but I gonna have to go back up there and check out more of the area.
    Next time, start from Lake Hughes road at the other end of the Sawmill Motorway (the other end of the Liebre Mtn Road FS#??) and ride northwest up to Burnt Peak, the high point in the range at 5788' IIRC. I saw the Pacific Ocean at Ventura from there on a fall day shown as a glint of light on the horizon. Big climb, about 3 hours overall. Then you can come back the way you came or head down to Pine Cyn Rd OR try the two trails connecting Upper Shake and Lower Shake campgrounds. Not sure what that is like anymore. The Boy Scouts used to keep it up.

I did the trail below Burnt Peak and up the back side of Atmore Meadows once. Really remote.

I know the area pretty well so if you have any questions before you make the trek, PM me.

OH...told ya. Bobcat.
    Blog Ramblings

Its only 1" on the map!
    Next time, start from Lake Hughes road at the other end of the Sawmill Motorway (the other end of the Liebre Mtn Road FS#??) and ride northwest up to Burnt Peak, the high point in the range at 5788' IIRC. I saw the Pacific Ocean at Ventura from there on a fall day shown as a glint of light on the horizon. Big climb, about 3 hours overall. Then you can come back the way you came or head down to Pine Cyn Rd OR try the two trails connecting Upper Shake and Lower Shake campgrounds. Not sure what that is like anymore. The Boy Scouts used to keep it up.

I did the trail below Burnt Peak and up the back side of Atmore Meadows once. Really remote.

I know the area pretty well so if you have any questions before you make the trek, PM me.

OH...told ya. Bobcat.
    Nice...We were discussing some of those options on the September ride. I'll be in touch for sho.

Front Range, Colorado
    Great shots of Mr. Bobcat Pacman. How close were you? Either you were within twenty feet or you have a serious telephoto lens.

Fat guy on a bike
    OK .. do you need an adventure pass to park at the bottom?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast