ride hard or die
    Mar 2004

going to santa barbra this weekand

I am going to Santa Barbra this weekend. I will be near the city college. Is there any good riding down there? I am looking to do some xc riding 2.5 hour rides high intensity. Anybody want to join?

GOAT

pwn3rator
    elings park has many xc/walking trails that can be easily linked to create multiple 2+ mile loops and there is a dh trail. it is off of cliff drive just before las positas. there is a small road that goes into a parking lot at the base of the hill where the trails are. from sbcc (upper part of campus)take cliff drive north(ish) until you pass monroe elementary school and begin going down a large hill, the road to the parking lot/trails is about half way down the hill on your right. from the lower part of campus down by the track, take cabrillo (northish, along the beach and up the hill)until it turns into shoreline, follow shoreline until it intersects cliff, go left on cliff, then follow the rest of my amazingly unclear directions. there are many other real mountain trails but they aren't very close to sbcc. for directions to them stop by velo pro on lower state street (corner of state and ortega). hope this helps...
    [SIZE=-4]SOCAL UNION REPREZENT[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Forget Elings - go scout out Camuesa Connector or Little Pine if you want serious XC.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Will you be able to drive to a trailhead? Or do you need to ride from town?

pwn3rator
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Forget Elings - go scout out Camuesa Connector or Little Pine if you want serious XC.
    i just suggested elings because he wanted something close to sbcc. i completely understand what you mean about little pine for serious xc, but i thought it was little too far away...
    [SIZE=-4]SOCAL UNION REPREZENT[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Equal opportunity meanie
    SB is relatively small. Little Pine isn't all that far away.

Of course, the hardcore XC'er would just ride from SBCC to Upper Oso, do the Little Pine loop, then back again. Maybe up Romero, along Cielo, down backside CS, Little Pine loop, back up backside CS, then down San Ysidro? I've heard of people doing that SB Deathride once a year.

Don't skid
    From town, if you have no car you could ride either Elings Park (more of a trainnig ground but you could get some nice loops in there) or Jesusita. Although Jes maybe be difficult to do on your own without getting lost but on the weekend there should be plenty of others to ask for directions. If you have a car then you can hit Romero (above Montecito) for a gret ride or you could drive to the backside for numerous options. Check out Velo Pro bike shop on the corner of State and Ortega, they can show you a few routes.

And unless you have 8+ hours you will not be able to ride Little Pine from SBCC so you may not want to listen to DHidiots advice (and what is Backside Cold Springs, never heard of that one).
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

Equal opportunity meanie
    Haha I think it can be done in about 8 hours if you keep a steady pace and don't kill yourself. The backside of CS? Well, go to the CS trailhead (by the water tower), look towards the backside, and there's a trail. That's the backside of CS. Bike legal as far as I know. Can't shuttle it though and most people just use it as an access route after hiking up CS or pedaling up Romero to get over to the reservoir and Paradise Rd, but it's supposed to be super flowey.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Backside of CS drops down to Forbush Flat and from there you can go through the riverbed on the marked trail. Eventually you end up at Mono. More of an XC ride because of the stuff through the river, but I suppose you could get picked up at Mono.

That death ride would probably be more than 8 hours BTW. Probably 10K+ of climbing there.

Don't skid
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Haha I think it can be done in about 8 hours if you keep a steady pace and don't kill yourself. The backside of CS? Well, go to the CS trailhead (by the water tower), look towards the backside, and there's a trail. That's the backside of CS. Bike legal as far as I know. Can't shuttle it though and most people just use it as an access route after hiking up CS or pedaling up Romero to get over to the reservoir and Paradise Rd, but it's supposed to be super flowey.
    I don't think I could do it less than 8 hrs. It takes me almost 4 hours to do the Little Pine loop from Upper Oso, but then again i don't go uphill very fast.
    I see backside CS on the map. It drops down into Forbush and then you could either head back to the Gilbralter Resevior or up to Mono. Not sure how fun that would be out there though, its probably super overgrown with lots of steep creek crossings (like get off and push up the far side crossings). But it does look interesting.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

Equal opportunity meanie
    From what I understand it gets overgrown and oak-ey pretty fast.

Unshaven Yak
    The Oak is out in force now. Not enough rain for anything but.

Inspiration Point would be a good loop though. Couple of hours is all that's required. That or hit the Romero out and back. If you like a good climb, Romero is for you.
    If you can, get one. You can bild it up to be a kinda lite trail slaying,dirt surfin, 40 mile ride single track super mama. this bike is the cutting edge of the sport. "spred the groove".