mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Going to do my first race at the Over the Hump finale, any tips on the course?

I know that I'm in for a rough day (I've only been mountain biking for around a month, although I have good stamina from a lot of miles on road this year), but any specific tips?

I have been doing the Sullivan fireroad up, Sullivan canyon down as a loop, which is a little shorter in distance but longer in climbing than what I think the Sport class will be.

I'm stoked to have it be my first race, but anyone who has raced the course before who has advice, I would greatly appreciate your opinion

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I raced OTH for the first time last week, and really enjoyed it. There is nothing technical about the course, it is more of a fire-road course with a little bit of ST thrown in for fun.
    Lap times are about 20 minutes or so, and there are a couple of descent climbs. It's just amazing how tired you get riding at race pace!

If it's your first race, you might want to race beginner class. the sport class is pretty stacked!

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks! I'll go with the Beginner then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Definitely do beginner but why are you waiting to do the last one? Do the next one if you can, that way when you have fun you can go do it again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have to take off work in order to be over at the course, since I work over in Santa Monica. I also need a little bit more time to prepare, work on my bike handling, etc since I just started riding on the dirt.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    LA or OC?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I didn't even realize there was an LA race...good to know! Checking out the details now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Beginner class is stacked too. Coaches, programs, $10,000 bikes, 15+ hours/week riding. Hilarious.

Race 'true beginner' for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    To be fair, I have a coach and I ride around 10-15 hours per week. I regularly do long rides up to the top of Mt Wilson (which is around 5000 feet over 28 miles) and can easily go out and ride 80-100 miles and get 8-10k feet of climbing without much preparation (on road). (not trying to brag btw, just trying to be honest about my fitness so I am not racing the wrong class)

I feel like True Beginner would be sandbagging it for me, even though I dont have as much experience on a 29er.

However, the LA course seems much more brutal at 1600' of gain over 7 miles rather than the 400' of gain over 5 miles for the OC course.

I may go with the OC course just to test the waters first.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sounds like you're a strong rider, just maybe lacking technical skills from a limited MTB background. That's like 90% of people at OTH anyway, you're probably fine in sport honestly. Only takes one roadie to slow 10+ people in the singletrack anyway.

If you do the OC course just make sure you have enough gearing to spin well over 20mph on the flat straights otherwise people in sport+ will walk away from you there. Assuming, of course, that you're not just out for a casual mosey.