Results 1 to 35 of 35

Thread: Global warming?

  1. #1
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,974

    Global warming?

    Not in San Diego, it seems. A freak spring storm passed through yesterday and dumped some snow up in our local mountains. Hell, we hardly got any snow up there this winter, and it's almost May!

    I took advantage of the moist ground and did a little maintenance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (109.0 KB, 524 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (172.7 KB, 524 views)
    • File Type: jpg 6.jpg (191.1 KB, 520 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.jpg (121.8 KB, 523 views)
    • File Type: jpg 13.jpg (217.4 KB, 523 views)
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 04-21-2007 at 10:26 PM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  2. #2
    banned
    Reputation: Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Not in San Diego, it seems. A freak spring storm passed through yesterday and dumped some snow up in our local mountains. Hell, we hardly got any snow up there this winter, and it's almost May!

    I took advantage of the moist ground and did a little digging.
    Your brain is FROZEN! **Al Gore invented The Internets...which everyone should be very afraid of...not Global Warming!

    Besides, aren't responsible mtbers 'supposed' to stay off the trails (for at least 48 hours) after a storm passes through? Check that....YOU never claimed YOU are the responsible type..........I had to over-rule myself!

    Now, where was the last pic taken - BLT?

  3. #3
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief

    Besides, aren't responsible mtbers 'supposed' to stay off the trails (for at least 48 hours) after a storm passes through? Check that....YOU never claimed YOU are the responsible type..........I had to over-rule myself!

    Now, where was the last pic taken - BLT?
    No harm was done, Chiefie. Anticipating that it might be a bit soupy up top, I opted to ride Elbon, and then 180 it if conditions deterioted.

    Surprisingly, I was able to make it to the last road crossing before it got too soupy.

    At that point I took the road up to Penny Pines.

    I wouldn't recommend riding upper Noble or BLT for a few days..it looked pretty wet up top.

    I saw people heading out to BLT. I mentioned to them that I thought it was too wet to ride. It's no wonder BLT gets hammered.

    As I was leaving Pine Valley, I spotted this Pot Head.

    Aqua

    PS Nope...not BLT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 14.jpg (184.3 KB, 504 views)
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  4. #4
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,766
    nice trail work.........square the top of the berms and make them about 8 inches thick...they last longer...I'll take some pics of the just finished work
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation: Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    As I was leaving Pine Valley, I spotted this Pot Head.

    Aqua

    PS Nope...not BLT.
    I'm trying to recall my college geology from like 30 years ago....bear with me...it's not BLT.....let me think.....the dirt looks very late Holocene, so, I'd say...Sunrise trail by the lake or south of the cows by the ranch. What do I win?

    (Btw, you're a day late with the yard art reference...but I...dig...the theme)

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    Aqua - think the trail will be good to go if it's clear all week by Saturday?

  7. #7
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,974
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    Aqua - think the trail will be good to go if it's clear all week by Saturday?
    It will be good.

    Chiefy...BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ wrong again.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  8. #8
    banned
    Reputation: Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    It will be good.

    Chiefy...BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ wrong again.
    Upper portion of Noble, going 'south', just before the first dip?

  9. #9
    Glad to Be Alive
    Reputation: SHIVER ME TIMBERS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    42,766
    here are some berm pics showing thickness for you...it will last at least a year...probably 2


    as always Wrigley the best trail dog....bites anyone that fvcks with the trail
    Attached Images Attached Images
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

  10. #10
    Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Reputation: Aquaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,974

    Nope

    Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    Upper portion of Noble, going 'south', just before the first dip?
    Not even in the same zip code, Chieftan.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

  11. #11
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,682
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    here are some berm pics showing thickness for you...it will last at least a year...probably 2


    as always Wrigley the best trail dog....bites anyone that fvcks with the trail
    Nice Bermage SHIVER. And Aqua that picture is on Noble right below the road crossing before the gate.No?

  12. #12
    Equal opportunity meanie
    Reputation: DHidiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,781
    Yeah, gloabal warming my skinny white a$$...we got snow in SB again earlier this week, albeit only for a couple hours barely visible through the clouds before it melted.
    805

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Derek O.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    27
    Shuttled Mt. Wilson.... 4-6 inches of snow and a lot of land movement at the started point... I have never truely heard a land slide before. It frik'n rumbles... we all dropped our bikes and ran for the tunnel.

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation: Chief's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Not even in the same zip code, Chieftan.
    All right, Aquaboi, this is YOUR last chance to get it right...south on Noble, after the last creek crossing, section between the creek and the top of last run down to PC parking lot. (I don't know the all nicknames of this trail, but I'm sure there is one for this portion).

  15. #15
    Equal opportunity meanie
    Reputation: DHidiot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,781
    Came down the whole frontside of Wilson last weekend (at 6:30AM no less) with completely NUMB fingers until I got to the ruins....that was fun.

    We were up there a while ago when that slide by the tunnel had just about sealed it off except for a few feet at the top. It's absolutely amazing the trails/roads on that mountain don't just disappear off the map.
    805

  16. #16
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,924
    Those berms look good!

    Snow in San Diego? WTF Al Gore?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

    ~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    Not in San Diego, it seems. A freak spring storm passed through yesterday and dumped some snow up in our local mountains. Hell, we hardly got any snow up there this winter, and it's almost May!

    I took advantage of the moist ground and did a little maintenance.
    ummm, Global Warming is a misnomer - it's Global Climate CHANGE - meaning, weather patterns are disrupted and we get weirder -less reliable weather all over the place - freak snowstorms, much warmer winters one year, colder than usual the next blah blah blah

    anthropegenic climate change is happening - get used to it - and avoid buying property in Holland, Bangladesh or all of Southern Florida

    and in the meantime - enjoy your bike outside...
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

  18. #18
    MTP
    MTP is offline
    Nothing to see here
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    892
    All Chicken Littles, Unite! Let's hear it for environmental groupthink, the New Religion. All non-believers shall be cast out from the politically correct class! Ho hum.

    Based on the sunny weather coming up this week, the trails should be perfect Saturday.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    All Chicken Littles, Unite! Let's hear it for environmental groupthink, the New Religion. All non-believers shall be cast out from the politically correct class! Ho hum.

    Based on the sunny weather coming up this week, the trails should be perfect Saturday.
    last response since this isn't the politics board

    if "environmental groupthink" includes something like 90% of climate scientists (in other words, the only people qualified to understand the data) who don't work for energy companies, then sure, you can call it that

    it's comical how people with 0 understanding of the science involved, who are unread about the incredible depth of data available, feel qualified to declare the science "politically correct" etc.

    as for non-belief, please - it's those who want to trust the couple of paid shills for the energy sector or get their science "news" from Fox who have a belief system - for the rest, cold hard facts and science will have to do

    and I went out and did some trail work yesterday - I know, Earth Day is a hokey "groupthink" sort of a holiday - but somebody has to do the work or the trails go to sh*t
    the sun should set everything up nicely after that bit of rain...
    "Cram as much pleasure into life, and rail against the pain you have to suffer as a result" - Shane MacGowan

  20. #20
    MTP
    MTP is offline
    Nothing to see here
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    892
    Mac, you lost me after "last response...."

    Since I'm too stooopid to see a scam when I see one, I'm going to go buy some carbon credits so that I can feel good about myself--like John Edwards.

    Thanks for the trail work. I would thank you for the rain, but you're not God yet.

  21. #21
    When in doubt, go faster
    Reputation: =ChrisB='s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,122
    Global warming is just a fad...

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15

    Climate change, yes. Anthropegenic? Dunno.

    A FEW ILLOGICAL ASSUMPTIONS:

    Dissenting Scientists = Evil, Corporate Energy Scientists
    Actually, there are scientists who don't work for energy companies who think the notion of anthropogenic (i.e. caused by humans) climate change is BS. Like Richard Lindzen from MIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McsZ1U20W0M

    Man = CO2 = Global Climate Change
    What about the fact that CO2 levels in the distant past (before humans) were significantly higher than they are now ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:P...on_Dioxide.png ).

    Correlation = Causation
    Man comes. Man learns to measure climate change. Man measures CO2. Man measures climate change. Man concludes that CO2 = Climate change.

    Assuming that a correlation between CO2 and weather patterns is the same as CO2 causing weather patterns is a bit like the caveman who hears thunder moments before his grandmother collapses and dies. The shaman then steps forth, claiming that the gods are angry, and that the thunder killed his grandmother. Fact is, there could be a myriad other reasons why the caveman's grandmother died. Similarly, there could be myriad other reasons for global climate change, none of which are under the control of humans. Like, say, the sun burning hotter, or the eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession of the Earth's orbit.

    The Ice Caps are Melting! The Ice Caps are Melting!
    Yep, they are. On Mars. Yes, global climate change with no humans in sight.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,890
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    last response since this isn't the politics board

    if "environmental groupthink" includes something like 90% of climate scientists (in other words, the only people qualified to understand the data) who don't work for energy companies, then sure, you can call it that.......
    Are these the same 'scientists' from the '70s that said we were entering a new ice age or were they the ones that said this last hurricane season was to be very very severe (zero so far) or able to accurately predict the weather from week to week or month to month let alone day to day, those scientists are always right

  24. #24
    San Diego County
    Reputation: Duzitall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,475

    I think it's safe

    to assume macrider wears out the left side of his tires before the right just like those global warming "experts"
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GT0neX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    82
    Let's just all become pirates and save the world....tee hee


  26. #26
    Lord of the Chainrings
    Reputation: Mudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    2,924
    Quote Originally Posted by reesh
    A FEW ILLOGICAL ASSUMPTIONS:

    Dissenting Scientists = Evil, Corporate Energy Scientists
    Actually, there are scientists who don't work for energy companies who think the notion of anthropogenic (i.e. caused by humans) climate change is BS. Like Richard Lindzen from MIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McsZ1U20W0M

    Man = CO2 = Global Climate Change
    What about the fact that CO2 levels in the distant past (before humans) were significantly higher than they are now ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:P...on_Dioxide.png ).

    Correlation = Causation
    Man comes. Man learns to measure climate change. Man measures CO2. Man measures climate change. Man concludes that CO2 = Climate change.

    Assuming that a correlation between CO2 and weather patterns is the same as CO2 causing weather patterns is a bit like the caveman who hears thunder moments before his grandmother collapses and dies. The shaman then steps forth, claiming that the gods are angry, and that the thunder killed his grandmother. Fact is, there could be a myriad other reasons why the caveman's grandmother died. Similarly, there could be myriad other reasons for global climate change, none of which are under the control of humans. Like, say, the sun burning hotter, or the eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession of the Earth's orbit.

    The Ice Caps are Melting! The Ice Caps are Melting!
    Yep, they are. On Mars. Yes, global climate change with no humans in sight.
    Ok, I'll pitch in and quit driving my SUV on Mars!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

    ~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

  27. #27
    Goofing off?
    Reputation: Intenserider2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    ummm, Global Warming is a misnomer - it's Global Climate CHANGE - meaning, weather patterns are disrupted and we get weirder -less reliable weather all over the place - freak snowstorms, much warmer winters one year, colder than usual the next blah blah blah

    anthropegenic climate change is happening - get used to it - and avoid buying property in Holland, Bangladesh or all of Southern Florida

    and in the meantime - enjoy your bike outside...
    Exactly, weather patterns. Didn't you see the kids flick, Ice Age? The snow melts and then returns sometime later.

  28. #28
    MTP
    MTP is offline
    Nothing to see here
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    892
    I like the pirates chart...

    ...But, on a serious side, that even brings up questions that can't be ignored. I'm certain that all temperature-reading instruments in the 1820's were accurate and calibrated the same as today's instruments, so we must rely on them...

    Also, where were they located, etc.? How can they possibly be compared to readings taken today by different instruments, different locations, different conditions (i.e., think concrete instead of grass), etc....

    The idea of a "global average temperature" is idiotic in its own right, once you think about it...as is a desired global temperature. When has the earth's climate ever been completely static??? Uh, never...

    This topic is a joke. I've gotta go wash up now, as I've been only using two squares of toilet paper per Sheryl Crow's instructions....
    If not biking, then what?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP

    This topic is a joke. I've gotta go wash up now, as I've been only using two squares of toilet paper per Sheryl Crow's instructions....
    ahahahaha!! You're only supposed to use one unless there are DIRE circumstances requiring no more than 2-3!!

  30. #30
    Don't skid
    Reputation: KONA_in_SB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,158
    Quote Originally Posted by MTP
    I like the pirates chart...

    ...But, on a serious side, that even brings up questions that can't be ignored. I'm certain that all temperature-reading instruments in the 1820's were accurate and calibrat ed the same as today's instruments, so we must rely on them...

    Also, where were they located, etc.? How can they possibly be compared to readings taken today by different instruments, different locations, different conditions (i.e., think concrete instead of grass), etc....

    The idea of a "global average temperature" is idiotic in its own right, once you think about it...as is a desired global temperature. When has the earth's climate ever been completely static??? Uh, never...

    This topic is a joke. I've gotta go wash up now, as I've been only using two squares of toilet paper per Sheryl Crow's instructions....
    Wow, your grasp of the science used in Earth sciences is amazing. Do you really think they base global warming arguements on 1820 thermometer reads?
    All data sets from a mulpile of sources, going back to at least 1 million years ago (One of my good friends here at UCSB just got a publication in Science magazine for extending an ice core record back to 1 million years ago), have shown the same patterns. The samples have come from all over the globe (hence GLOBAL climate). Ice cores from Greeland and the Artic, sediement cores off the santa barabra coast, glacial records in the Andes and the Sierras, Coral reefs in the south pacifc. They all show the same pattern of warming and cooling, seal level ride and fall, and its all correlated with C02 levels. In the seventies they discovered these patterns but the above data wasn't all availible yet. Based on the past patterns we were due for a cooling phase in the next 1000 to 10000 years. But guess what....WE AIN'T COOLING. Now C02 levels are higher than the have been in the last 3 million years. Yes they were higher in the past, but the globe was much, much warmer then (like dinosours in the Artic and forests on Antartica warm).

    And i agree, correlation alone isn't proof. But we also have a mechanism called the greehouse effect. In a nutshell the greenhouse effect says more CO2 (or any other greenhouse gas like, methane, ammonia, water vapor) means higher tmeperature becasue heat cannot escape our atmosphere. This is well know and has been studied extensively.
    There is no serious debate in the scientific community about whether or not global warming is real. The debate is over what the effects will be, how catastrophic they will be.

    Global waming is real, the sea level is rising, and weather patterns are changing. These things are happening now, not in the future.

    So MTP, try educating yourself, and short of that, at least listen to people who know what they are talking about (i.e. not the people on TV).
    Sorry to hijack the thread with a lecture on global warming, I am drunk and in a thesis writng mode.
    The Revolution will not be motorized...especially at $5 per gallon.

  31. #31
    Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Reputation: DIRTJUNKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Posts
    27,682
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Nice Bermage SHIVER. And Aqua that picture is on Noble right below the road crossing before the gate.No?
    Well Aqua do I win the prize????

  32. #32
    MTP
    MTP is offline
    Nothing to see here
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    892
    Uh, hello, I was responding to the chart in the post above with regard to the 1820 temperature readings. Way to grasp the context there, champ. And no, I don't receive my "global warming" (or the new, comprehensive and never debatable "global change") information from TV or Fox News... But I'm not going to get into a posting of articles battle here. Suffice it to say, I won't convince you and you won't convince me. Since neither one of us will likely be here in 80 years to see the end of the flaming and drowning world (one of the more prominent doomsday dates), a pissing contest on this hoax, I mean, burning topic, will not do us any good.

    Now leave me alone, I'm hunkering down for another RECORD hurricane year (just like last year's)....
    If not biking, then what?

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,379
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE,
    Well Aqua do I win the prize????
    If he doesn't post back by Saturday night I can get photographic evidence for ya. Assuming I notice it as I FLY by

  34. #34
    I <3 Dirt
    Reputation: mealsonwheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by reesh
    A FEW ILLOGICAL ASSUMPTIONS:

    Dissenting Scientists = Evil, Corporate Energy Scientists
    Actually, there are scientists who don't work for energy companies who think the notion of anthropogenic (i.e. caused by humans) climate change is BS. Like Richard Lindzen from MIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McsZ1U20W0M

    Man = CO2 = Global Climate Change
    What about the fact that CO2 levels in the distant past (before humans) were significantly higher than they are now ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:P...on_Dioxide.png ).

    Correlation = Causation
    Man comes. Man learns to measure climate change. Man measures CO2. Man measures climate change. Man concludes that CO2 = Climate change.

    Assuming that a correlation between CO2 and weather patterns is the same as CO2 causing weather patterns is a bit like the caveman who hears thunder moments before his grandmother collapses and dies. The shaman then steps forth, claiming that the gods are angry, and that the thunder killed his grandmother. Fact is, there could be a myriad other reasons why the caveman's grandmother died. Similarly, there could be myriad other reasons for global climate change, none of which are under the control of humans. Like, say, the sun burning hotter, or the eccentricity, axial tilt, and precession of the Earth's orbit.

    The Ice Caps are Melting! The Ice Caps are Melting!
    Yep, they are. On Mars. Yes, global climate change with no humans in sight.
    Oh snap! Nice unrequited response.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,933
    Quote Originally Posted by macrider
    ummm, Global Warming is a misnomer - it's Global Climate CHANGE - meaning, weather patterns are disrupted and we get weirder -less reliable weather all over the place - freak snowstorms, much warmer winters one year, colder than usual the next blah blah blah

    anthropegenic climate change is happening - get used to it - and avoid buying property in Holland, Bangladesh or all of Southern Florida

    and in the meantime - enjoy your bike outside...
    It's so da*n unreliable I've already missed TWO DAYS of riding this year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •