mtbr member

Glendale area middle level trails

Hello guys
    I will be in the Glendale area on vacations starting next week and I convince the wife to take advantage of the trip to ride the so famous SoCal rides so if you are kind enough to suggest a few mid level rides, any input is welcome.
    Iam in my 50s so i do not want to brake a bone but at least give some fun to a double saucer.
    And finally any input in a not expensive hotel in San Francisco with parking facilities will be welcome as well.
    Thanks in advance
    In my workshop, dirty hands is a state of mind

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For Glendale area trails that are not too difficult try Cherry Canyon. Its in the San Rafael hills just north of Glendale proper, off of the La Crescenta valley. Right above Descanso Gardens (a botanical garden which is nice to see in and of itself). You can also google Over The Bars Mountain Bike Club for exact trailhead information. The area is a mix of single track and fire roads. Fun and flowing and nothing to crazy. After the ride you can go to Honolulu Ave, about a mile or two away in Montrose, for great restaurants and quaint little stores. Finally, for mTB suppliesnand 411 on Cherry Canyon stop by the Montrose Bike Shop, also on Honolulu, just accross the street from Trader Joes.

official eMpTyBRain
    I agree with vladpop here. You can also have some fabulous views (on a clear day) at the top of Verdugo Mtn via La Tuna Canyon fireroad. Be forewarned that this part of Los Angeles is quite hilly and mountainous and it can be steep.

Here's a few route links:

Geoladders -- Cherry Canyon Singletracks

Geoladders -- La Tuna Canyon Fire Road

Enjoy!!!
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Thank for you replays I gonna look for the info and talking about the hills a typical ride around here include a 16 mile ride with 2000 ft of elevation gain
    By the way I read something about El Prieto trail, anyone ??

official eMpTyBRain
    El Prieto is the best trail by far near to Glendale but it is fairly technical and has some dangerous exposure. I'd recommend that to any visitor but I think it's a notch above "middle level".

mtbr member
    El Prieto is awsome. Just dont leave anything in your car when you leave the parking lot. Another Great ride is Brown Mountain up to Middle Merril then down Sunset.

Cherry Canyon is great just stay off the Owl trail if you want to keep things non-technical.

Cheers and enjoy

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    For San Francisco hotel, my family and I recently stayed at the Embassy Suites just south of the SFO Airport on the water. The rooms were large and average furnishings-wise. The coolest thing was they all opened into an interior arboretum jungle and the free buffet breakfasts were outstanding. Ran about $200/night.
    If not biking, then what?

mtbr member
    Last edited by Dave Ferris; 12-12-2012 at 12:48 AM.
    https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

'05 NY Steinway D
    Yamaha CP4
    Potts 29er
    Ellsworth Truth
    Litespeed Classic

mtbr member

Arrived

Hi guys
    I just arrived to the Glendale area and I will picking up the bike today .
    I think I could ride tomorrow morning and I would like to try El Prieto, anyone is heading this trai? I am located in north Adams street but since I do not the area could be nice to ride with somebody else
    Thanks

official eMpTyBRain
    Did you ride EP?

What bike did you get?

I am meeting another member at MTT (Monroe Truck Trail) on Saturday morning in case you are interested.

mtbr member
    Wich mean EP
    A full suspension 650b
    Please Pmail me and we can do something

official eMpTyBRain
    "EP" stands for El Prieto.

mtbr member
    Yes I would like to ride with you guys, my phone number is 818-2922533, please give me a call to arrange time and place to meet,
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Midle Age Warrior View Post
    Yes I would like to ride with you guys, my phone number is 818-2922533, please give me a call to arrange time and place to meet,
    Thanks
    What did you think of Cherry? Did you make to El Prieto?

mtbr member
    Hi Guys
    Thanks for the replays, it is a little bit complicated to be in touch during vacations so that is why my late response.
    I enjoy my time in Socal despite the bad weather in SF area cause the storms.
    In the Glendale area I just did Cherry Canyon, I choose no to ride El Prieto cause after reading the directions I did not want to get lost.
    Cherry Canyon was fun nothing technical but I enjoyed since I do not have that kind of ride here in Venezuela. I met friendly people at the trails a few lead me to what I should do and eve ride we some guys, so I did Cerro Negro, Owl Trail,Ultimate destination among others the climate was great and since I was near the entrance of Cherry Canyon Motor Way it is was very easy to get there.
    In fact I was very lucky if you take in consideration that I was in vacation with the wife and she let me ride how much I can .
    I was testing a demo bike from Turner, the new Burner a 650b sized wheel trail bike, in a word "AWENSOME" I had have a Flux, 5Spot, Sixpack and Sultan all from Turner and the Burner keep the legacy of the brand for sure.
    All in all I spent a nice time in my trip to California and thanks to you guys for all the suggestions .
    A pic of some resting enjoying the Socal sun

official eMpTyBRain
    Glad to hear it! Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Great picture, too.

mtbr member
    Good old Chery Canyon. It looks like you were not to far from the Clint Eastwood sign