mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Giro Di San Diego - Mountain Fondo

Has anyone raced this before? I'm trying to understand the format described here.

Do they time all the legs individually? Are they timed out and back, or just out? Some of those areas are pretty tight singletrack and will get pretty hairy with people racing in both directions.

Is the KOM/QOM on Raptor Ridge completely separate, because the course map sure doesn't appear to head out that far.

I'd love to hear anyone's experience with this race last year.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    I never heard of this event before but it looks fun.

mtbr member
    It looks to be a fun ride with a KOM/QOM segment thrown in for good measure. No racing to be had other than up the hill.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It says it's a timed course. And they have results/winners posted from last year.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    If it's like a road gran fondo format then it would probably be scored based on the cumulative time of all three legs. The KOM/QOM would be a "race within the race" so to speak. I am guessing either there is someone marking your time at the finish of each leg or they use chip timing.

Some of the road gran fondos have pretty decent prize money and while not sanctioned by USA Cycling they can draw some decent riders going for the money in addition to lots of weekend warriors just out for fun. This is the first "mountain fondo" I've heard of but given the popularity and growth of fondos in the road scene it isn't surprising to see this type of event being adapted to the dirt. It seems like a cross between an enduro and xc race which is an interesting concept.

mtbr member
    This looks like a really cool event. Any idea how many years its been running? I'm really tempted to sign up....

I did the Sea Otter MTB Grand Fondo and it was seriously fun!....though I did it on a Single Speed...ouch.