FTM

FYI: Angeles National Forest (San Gabriel Mountains) closure on 9/27/04

from the Forest Service's web site:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/news...rictions.shtml

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Angeles National Forest Announces Increased Use RestrictionsEffective - September 27, 2004

ARCADIA, CA September 23, 2004

Angeles National Forest will be increasing use restrictions and closing areas that have been identified as extreme safety risks on Monday, September 27. As fire season has progressed, the severity of the situation has continued to increase along with the fire danger. Use restrictions, such as no campfires or campstoves of any kind, have been in place on the Forest since July of this year.

Roughly 80% of the Angeles 680,000 acres will be affected on Monday, with the exception of several popular recreation areas including Pyramid Lake, most of San Gabriel Canyon and the Mount Baldy area in San Antonio Canyon. These areas are within close proximity of a paved state or county highway with two ways out for possible evacuation purposes or because of favorable vegetation conditions.

Despite possible cooler temperatures, the wildfire danger will continue until a significant change in weather patterns occurs. Drought stressed areas need significant rainfall. Until then, areas of the Forest will remain under increased use restrictions.

We're trying to avoid a repeat of last year, said Forest Supervisor, Jody Noiron. Even though we may have a low pressure system that moves through the area and temps are cooler for a day or two, it has no real affect on the extremely dry conditions. Cooler temperatures are only a drop in the bucket. The only thing that will bring us out of these extreme conditions is a significant amount of rainfall over a sustained period of time. Until then, we need to take necessary action to protect public safety.

Last fall, wildfires burned over 750,000 acres, destroyed 3,710 homes and killed 24 people. The Angeles was closed for 11 days during that time. It reopened on November 7, following significant rainfall. This past July, three fires burned 34,000 acres over a two- week period on the Angeles National Forest in the Santa Clarita area.

These increased restrictions will affect the use of most of the Forest's recreational facilities, roads and hiking trails. County roads and state highways, such as the Angeles Crest Highway (Hwy 2), will remain open to through traffic. For instance, commuters from the Antelope Valley to Los Angeles will not be affected. However, drivers are urged to use extreme caution and adhere to posted fire prevention regulations. Violators of the closure are subject to fines of up to $5,000 and/or imprisonment.

Some areas are totally closed and all uses are suspended due to extreme conditions. These areas include: Chantry Flats, Upper Westfork, Millard, the Clear Creek area, North Fork California Trail Users Association and all organization camps along Santa Clara Divide Road.

Special access will be authorized by permit only for most existing Special Use permittees. However, permit holders must get site-specific temporary special access permits from their local Angeles National Forest District Offices.

Los Angeles River Ranger Station (818) 899-1900
    San Gabriel River Ranger Station (626) 335-1251
    Santa Clara-Mojave Rivers Ranger Station (661) 296-9710

Visitors are encouraged to check the status of their destination before making final plans.

###

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

... and if we just ... Thanks

FTM,

Thanks for the info. I rode up santa anita a couple of weeks ago. Had I known its a $5000 fine I would not have gone.

TC3
    mtbr member
    Anyone knows when it's gonna re-open again?
    I live in Pasadena, and JPL / Brown Mountain is my weekly ride...

Over the Hill
    Well maybe after it rains!

MTB SOCAL

What trails are open?

I live in Pasadena and usually ride JPL or Chantry. I haven't ridden locally in a few weeks and was just reading about the closures. What trails are open? I assume JPL / Brown Mountain / El Prieto is closed? Any info is appreciated as I'm trying to plan a weekend ride. Thanks.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

TC3
    mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well still closed

Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    I live in Pasadena and usually ride JPL or Chantry. I haven't ridden locally in a few weeks and was just reading about the closures. What trails are open? I assume JPL / Brown Mountain / El Prieto is closed? Any info is appreciated as I'm trying to plan a weekend ride. Thanks.
    I was there (JPL) last weekend.
    It was closed with a few warning signs...
    Where is Chantry, by the way?
    Is it a part of Angeles Forrest as well?
    I'm looking for some other local (Pasadena) MTB trails to ride.
    Too lazy to drive to Santa Monica Mountain...

Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by TC3
    The closest I know of is La Tuna canyon, up the 210.

SUPER HERO
    Oct 2004
    this sucks for the people who just bought adventure passes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TC3
    When, what, and where do you ride? I catch rides with the Over The Bars Mountain Bike Club, we do a fair number of rides in the Verdugos. Weekday (er...now weeknight) rides as well as weekend ones.

TC3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Namlak
    When, what, and where do you ride? I catch rides with the Over The Bars Mountain Bike Club, we do a fair number of rides in the Verdugos. Weekday (er...now weeknight) rides as well as weekend ones.
    I rode JPL/Brown Mountain almost every Saturday and Sunday before it was closed.
    and Red Box once a while.
    The club looks great.
    I will catch some rides with you guys later.
    Thanks for the info.

keep the shiny side up!
    some of those OTB guys really need to learn to respect other people on the trail as well as the trail itself. many a time, some of the jackasses in the group have nearly collided with myself and my friends while we were climbing. there are some good guys too, but they don't seem to concerned about educating the idiots in the group about trail etiquette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat_Head
    some of those OTB guys really need to learn to respect other people on the trail as well as the trail itself. many a time, some of the jackasses in the group have nearly collided with myself and my friends while we were climbing. there are some good guys too, but they don't seem to concerned about educating the idiots in the group about trail etiquette.
    Interesting, I've been riding with them for about four months now and I've not met a single person who would bomb a trail like that. They are all good, responsible trail users that I've seen. Maybe there are some who are inconsiderate when riding alone, dunno. Most of them even have warning bells on their bikes.

keep the shiny side up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Namlak
    Interesting, I've been riding with them for about four months now and I've not met a single person who would bomb a trail like that. They are all good, responsible trail users that I've seen. Maybe there are some who are inconsiderate when riding alone, dunno. Most of them even have warning bells on their bikes.
    unfortunately, it has always been when they are in a big group. i have talked to a couple of the guys when the group is smaller and they have always been pretty good guys. when i say some guys, it always seems to be the same guys. it's always a small minority that can make a group look bad. no matter. i certainly don't want to say the group itself is irresponsible. the guys that have have chatted seem to be nice guys.i only mention it because it has happened on multiple occasions.

TC3
    mtbr member
    There are 3 potential storms coming toward So Cal next week.
    It was on the news a few minutes ago.
    Hope these trails will be re-opened by the rain.

I probably have seen OTB group at El Prieto
    About 10 of them, seem harmless, though

mtbr member
    unfortunately, it has always been when they are in a big group. i have talked to a couple of the guys when the group is smaller and they have always been pretty good guys. when i say some guys, it always seems to be the same guys. it's always a small minority that can make a group look bad. no matter. i certainly don't want to say the group itself is irresponsible. the guys that have have chatted seem to be nice guys.i only mention it because it has happened on multiple occasions.
    Wow, that would be a shame, then. Totally against my experiences with the group (even when there were 18 of us) in the last four months.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! Its Open

The closure of JPL has been lifted but Chantry Flats is still closed.
    Check it out.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/news...e-lifted.shtml

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

It's (almost) time to ride!

The OTB group is a XC group that for the most part rides responsibly! There may be a few instances where you may have been "buzzed" or nearly hit and I'm sorry to hear about that. Your feedback is welcome and I'll make sure to pass along your comments. If there is a particular instance please let me know via PM. I want to educate any and all riders on the trails to check their speed and ride responsibly.

Our rides have no shuttles therefore we earn our descents with healthy climbs that often exceed 5,000' of climbing, some exceeding 10,000' of climbing. With the climbs comes a healthy respect for hikers and bikers going up. Many of us have had first hand experiences with reckless downhillers that ruin it for everbody. I know what it's like to be startled or almost hit. From my experience with the group most are college educated professional family men with homes. Not your stereo typical young and reckless speed freak! For the most part we are highly responsible on the trail. I've seen many instance of moutain bikers acting like jerks when I've hiked El Prieto, Holy Jim, Morro, etc. and these bikers have really pissed me off!!! So I feel your pain.

Mountain Biking is a dangerous sport, be careful out there!

See you on the trail.

34N 118W

Gabrieleno

Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo90802
    The closure of JPL has been lifted
    anyone been down Gab this week since the rains? Gonna try it out on SUNday.

HW

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

HW
    Let us know how the trails held up.

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

Hey HW...

hey Hollywood, what route are you planning??? What time? I am up for a Sun ride, but just don't know where. I am supposed to meet another ss'er at Sycamore in Riverside, but he hasn't called me up yet (flaked out???). I may just hit Turnbull Canyon.

let me know. cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood

HW