always learning

Fullerton Loop conditions?

I've never ridden it and thought I might check it out today. All the info I can find is from right after the rains, is it cool to ride now?

I want to try it because from what I hear its very up and down, not just up, up, up, down. Should I be worried about riding it alone (big cats, snakes, etc.)
    I really have no idea what the place is like so please don't laugh

mtbr member
    I rode it yesterday and conditions are great. There are some deep ruts in some areas but certainly avoidable.

It's a semi-urban ride so I don't think you need to worry about big cats. Maybe some stray dogs and stray people, but otherwise pretty safe.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Don't get lost

The Fullerton loop is very segmented. You will probably get lost. Even with a map you will have trouble. I would suggest waiting until you can ride with someone how knows the trail.
    I ride there most Tuesdays and Thursdays. I can show you the trail next week if you like.

always learning
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_mike
    I ride there most Tuesdays and Thursdays. I can show you the trail next week if you like.
    Thanks what time do you usually go? I'm in West LA so traffic to/from is my only issue.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreathead
    Thanks what time do you usually go? I'm in West LA so traffic to/from is my only issue.

I usually start my weekday rides between 3:30 and 5:30. Later starts would require lights. I do have them, but I prefer to ride in the day.

If you can't make it that early, there are several groups that start at 6:30. Some Thursday nights there are 50+ riders. I'm sure you could follow some of them around.

PM me if you want to ride with me next week.

mtbr member
    west LA? how long is the commute for you(distance and time)? i love fullerton loop for what it is but i don't think its all that worth it for a long commute. there are plenty of other trails in OC that are more worth the commute. of course they're a little further but might as well ride something more worth riding. San Juan, Luge, Whitting Ranch, Chino Hills...

the trail is very segmented through streets, residential areas, railroad tracks, parks, and a golf course etc. if you're really into freeriding as far as jumping and drops fullerton has some beginner stuff but not that much. i remember a few years ago there was a section off the trail with small BMX jumps, but i haven't been to that section in a while. i've heard of other places in OC that have more but i've never been to.