Thread: Fullerton loop

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Fullerton loop

I rode the Fullerton Loop for the first time this weekend.
    Great ride, but I'm not sure I actually did the full loop. The GPS on my phone was working for some reason so I don't know how far I traveled, but it just seemed pretty short.
    I went out with my son and neither of us are in shape, experienced riders, and we were back at the courthouse in a bout 1 hour and 20 minutes... and that's with us stopping often for me to try and find a map on my phone or to wait for another rider to come along that we could follow. Unfortunately we couldn't follow anyone for long as they would simply out run us.

I've heard it's roughly a 15 mile loop but it just didn't seem like we ent that far.

It appears that there's actually many different routes and I would like to take them all at some point...Is there an easy guide I can get somewhere to help me find my way?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I don't know anything about the Fullerton Loop but wanted to turn you on to a website where you can find people that do....there is a website, Find Meetup groups near you - Meetup , where like minded people of pretty much ANY activity find each other. For our purpose, we would be looking for other mountain bikers. Go to that website and search for MTB groups in your area. I happen to know for sure that there are 3-4 different groups up there by you and one of the groups does rides at the Fullerton Loop pretty much weekly. After you sign up and join a group, all for FREE, you will get emails advising you of the group rides that are planned for that week. You just RSVP for whatever interests you.

I personally 'belong' to 3 or 4 MTB related groups in SoCal. For better or worse, I get a total of 8-10 emails a week about planned weekend rides. The best part is you also know up front and ahead of time if it's a beginner, intermediate to advanced level ride so you don't get in over your head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    the "full" loop is around 11.2 miles. there are hidden extra credits but you need to ride with someone that knows it to even find some of them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I ride the loop several times a week. I always come up with 11.1- 11.2 miles. Im no speed racer and I can get it done in just under an hour. The Fullerton Loop is a good map of it. Only difference is that I always start at laguna lake instead of the court house.

Geoladders.com also lists a trail called the fullerton super loop that is 18 miles. I havent tried it, instead I just do a 2nd lap if i feel like I want to go further
    Just some yahoo on a Wahoo

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    This loop will always have a special place in my heart. It ain't fancy but it's one the trails that got me going many moons ago.

Anyways, so I always wondered, how did this loop come about? Anyone know the history?

Had to have been locals who knew the way to connect a series of city parks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    From what I have read it was Richard Cunningham, who put it together.
    THE FOURTH ANNUAL TOUR DE TRYPTOPHAN: 24 HOURS OF THE FULLERTON LOOP | News | Mobile

Life Is Short
    YOur best bet is to check the link albacore put on, and go do the sunday morning ride with STR.
    Maybe join STR as well because at that website, there's always someone posting about the fully loop. STRis mostly an Orange County bike riding site.
    The loop is just 11 miles round trip and pretty easy as its just a horse trail behind tract homes, have fun!
    Ride More, Eat More