Thread: fullerton loop

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

fullerton loop

has anyone been on the fullerton loop ? just wondering if its good for new riders who dont do climbs to well yet........ley me know please its about in my backyard and all i see is hills lol.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If it is in your backyard go for it. I'm very new to mountain biking and I was able to get up every hill. Just get in the proper gear, adjust your suspension if you can to the climbing settings, (if you have the capabilities) inch forward on the saddle, and keep low. That's pretty much it. Keep cranking and think positively and you can do it. Its pretty well packed and there aren't any big rocks or roots that you have to maneuver around so its a good learning area.

Plus once you get to the top you get rewarded with some short downhill.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The Fully Loop has lots of variety especially when it's so close. The climbs are short and steep and the downhills can be very fun. Just be careful of the ruts and wash outs from the recent rains and be particularly cautious around the railroad tracks and the golf course.
    And there is usually a group that rides from the courthouse on Thursday nights and Sunday mornings if you want to tag along with them.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The Fully loop is one of my favorites its got some steep uphills but they are short and very rewarding. You should be able to make the whole loop ur first time around. My first time I did it I made the mistake of underestimating it and took my 48 pound trek session 77 downhill bike and still made it, although i dont recommend that. Good luck man its pretty easy on an XC bike. Should take just over an hour to an hour and a half and its about 13 miles.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Also, try and find directions for your first time or maybe somebody to ride with that has done the trail before because the Fully Loop can be crazy confusing to find your way around your first ride

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I can show you the way. Pm me.

Quote Originally Posted by fatguy1
    has anyone been on the fullerton loop ? just wondering if its good for new riders who dont do climbs to well yet........ley me know please its about in my backyard and all i see is hills lol.....
    There are hills on the Loop, but it's an excellent place for a beginner to get started. Everyone has to start someplace.

Mtbr Member
    Feb 2010
    its a great training trail. My buddies and i try to ride it weekly. Compact dirt, so if your worried about climbing just drop in your granny gear and lean foward.
    Been getting an hour flat last few times we've ridden it, cant seem to break the hour mark!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatguy1
    I just moved back to California after being in Ohio for 11 years and rode the Fullerton loop this past Thursday. It's not a technical trail and there are no serious trail hazards; some of the rootier sections from 11 years ago have been smoothed out. If it's in your backyard, by all means just get on the trail and ride. The best way to improve your riding skills is ride more and watch what better riders do. If you can't make it up a hill, then get off the bike and walk it up; there's no shame in walking a mountain bike or cyclocross bike; walking a road bike is a whole different mind set. The hills you'll encounter are short and will be good for some anaerobic burn. As many others indicated previously, the loop can get a bit confusing if you've not done the whole loop before; try to get a local rider to show you the way, the section after the golf course can be a bit disorienting if you don't know where you're going.
    Go on ahead, I'm gonna take a breather.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

fully loop

Thanks bro I think I'm gonna go on Monday...........just got my new bike so I think ill give it a try theere

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Has anybody ridden the loop yesterday or today since the big rains on Saturday? Just wondering how the trail conditions are??? Was thinking about going weds evening...
    Thanks

Mtbr Member
    Feb 2010
    My buddies and I are going tonight at 8pm
    I'll let ya know

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks man, I'm sick of all this rain giving me cabin fever!!! I'm thinking the only bad part will be railroad section cuz it's always muddy there but let me know

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas.p.alvarez
    My buddies and I are going tonight at 8pm
    I'll let ya know

I just got back five minutes ago. There are some puddles, and you will get muddy, but it's not at all bad. Tomorrow after work I'll be out there again with the crew for another helping of Loop.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Did you bike get gunked up pretty bad?

Quote Originally Posted by RustyIron
    I just got back five minutes ago. There are some puddles, and you will get muddy, but it's not at all bad. Tomorrow after work I'll be out there again with the crew for another helping of Loop.

Mtbr Member
    Feb 2010
    my buddies and I rode it tonight, took out my brand new bike out there, and the mud wasnt nearly as bad as it was few weeks ago. Only some spots on the horse trail and railroad tracks was it bad.
    And the bike didn't get too dirty, it was a great ride. Could've been better if my lights didn't die on me lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

direction

Hey is it a one way only on the loop or does it matter which way you go

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The Loop is typically ridden clockwise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    i ride the loop occasionally, I usually start at skyline, has anybody tried that?
    it takes you right through St Jude and onto the tracks, its there are quite a few climbs going that way
    Also, i haven't been for bout 2 weeks, but how is it, night ride might be around the corner for me so I just kinda wanna know how things are.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by John's Smith
    i ride the loop occasionally, I usually start at skyline, has anybody tried that?
    it takes you right through St Jude and onto the tracks, its there are quite a few climbs going that way
    Also, i haven't been for bout 2 weeks, but how is it, night ride might be around the corner for me so I just kinda wanna know how things are.
    Where's skyline? Pretty much every place I've ridden that has the tallest peak is called "Skyline" it seems....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ya know its a neighborhood at the top of fullerton, there is a trail that you can take up there that starts at the corner of bastanchury and state college by the summit house restaurant

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    ya know its a neighborhood at the top of fullerton, there is a trail that you can take up there that starts at the corner of bastanchury and state college by the summit house restaurant
    Single track at all?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    sadly not...i dont even know of any fine singletrack our here in fullas aka 714 aka toker town, word foo

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    sadly not...i dont even know of any fine singletrack our here in fullas aka 714 aka toker town, word foo
    "The Louge" starts in Anaheim Hills has some pretty fine singletrack in the 714! Spits out in Irvine Park