Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fullerton Loop

3K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  socalMX 
#1 ·
hey guys well decided to bring my bike down to So Cal when I take the family down to Disney land this week (will be leaving tomorrow and staying all week) so I'm thinking since it's the closest thing I can find to Disneyland I'll give the Fullerton Loop a run. is there anything I should know before I ride ? and where is the best parking at the trail head ? I've downloaded a GPX file of the loop so I shouldn't have a hard time getting around.

Thanks Danny

#2 ·
dhoffroad said:
is there anything I should know before I ride ?
Besides the fact that it sucks? J/K. It's really a personal preference. But, seriously, I'd rather do Peters Canyon a hundred times before wasting a day at Fullerton.

What surprises me most is how the Fullerton loop is the closest trail to Anaheim. That doesn't sound right.

For starters, Anaheim is within a hop, skip, and a jump from the 55 freeway. The 55 will plug you into such majestic trails as Irvine Regional Park and Santiago Oaks.

I think you and your rig would be much happier frolicking in those territories.

#3 ·
I was at the Loop today and its a great ride!Alot of guys on here dog the place but there is always alot of people there?If you are a real good agressive rider,it may not be the place for you.Alot of the better riders consider that place a "recovery" ride.It really has alot to offer,some climbing,pretty fast downhill,some jumps etc.Take Harbor off the 91,go north to Berkely and make a left,parking is at the courthouse,thats the easiest parking to find!

#4 ·
Well I'm not totaly mind set on the Fully loop. But I just want to put in a ride, and not waste a bunch of time driving arround since my wife is letting me take some time to myself to ride while she has the kids at Disneyland. So if there is something " better" and close by then post up trails so I can look into them. Thanks

#5 ·
dhoffroad said:
Well I'm not totaly mind set on the Fully loop. But I just want to put in a ride, and not waste a bunch of time driving arround since my wife is letting me take some time to myself to ride while she has the kids at Disneyland. So if there is something " better" and close by then post up trails so I can look into them. Thanks
you have aliso & woods canyon about 30 min south off of the 5 fwy, el morro just north of laguna beach on PCH.. most of the trails are about 30 min drive from anaheim if traffic is not heavy. i sent you a pm.

#6 ·
Hey, Danny.

All the cool kids park at the Fullerton Courthouse. But let me warn you, route finding is not obvious. You'll hear a lot of self proclaimed experts complain that Fully is not challenging enough. To them I ask, why don't you just ride faster?

Fully is a relatively easy route without much commitment: you can bail at any time and take streets back to your truck. If you're looking for a little more adventure, Aliso is a good option because it's close, routefinding is simple, and it's not too remote. It's a better bet if you're looking for a quick taste of SoCal.

Also, bring some warm clothes. This morning's ride began at 39 degrees, but it eventually warms to the 60's.

#9 ·
fully loop is fun

But it's not the easiest trailsystem to find you're way around. I'd do Santiago Oaks if I had one ride to do close to Anaheim. Oaks is under 7 miles but can be expanded by riding down some alternate DHs with the same climb more than once. PM me if you'd like a guide at Oaks Mon-Wed.

#11 ·
fully loop is a network of local hiking/horse trails connected by pavement/paved bike paths and city parks. I believe the loop is about 10 miles long...

Its a good place if you live and/or work nearby so you can get a work-out and as we all know, we have to ride wherever we can......if you have a single-speed or a 1X9 it would definitely make it more interesting.....

#13 ·
I don't recommend fully for your first time without a guide. the loop is not connected and is a conglomerate of differents inner city trails, You can easily miss the connecting trails heads and spend a lot of time finding them. I believe one of the local bike shops does a weekly ride. Its not technical, but does have some pretty good climbs and descents in the middle of the loop.

I tried it for the first time with out a guide and got lost several times. It was fun because it was new. Make sure you take lots of water!!

#14 ·
I Say Ride It !!

anyone who say's it sucks is the one or ones with all the armor on with a full face helmet and a 50lb - 8 " travel slug , i roll thru this place at a complete time of 43 min average on my cross bike !! you know who i am because you all cant beleive how fast i went by you !! EVEN on the downhill sections - :D

#15 ·
raceline said:
anyone who say's it sucks is the one or ones with all the armor on with a full face helmet and a 50lb - 8 " travel slug , i roll thru this place at a complete time of 43 min average on my cross bike !! you know who i am because you all cant beleive how fast i went by you !! EVEN on the downhill sections - :D
sounds like you would want more challenge then? fully loop is a total joke, it is not mountian biking at all (no mountains, barely singletrack). yea, you can get a workout in, same as the gym! just don't fool yourself in thinking its mountain biking, cause it aint.

#21 ·
raceline said:
The fact that this loop can be ridden on a cross bike should tell you something......IMHO a cross-bike, SS, or fully rigid is way more fun on this loop.......but if your 6 inch. AM bike is your only rig, I guess that's OK too.......:thumbsup:

#22 ·
slorider I'll be sure to look you up next time I'm down this way .

no didn't feel any shaking.

like mentioned above I had a good little ride out at Santiago Oaks. maby next time when I have a little more than one morning free to ride I'll give it a try, but yea if cross bike can blow thru the trail then I think I had a better time out at Santiago Oaks....

#23 ·
osmarandsara said:
The fact that this loop can be ridden on a cross bike should tell you something......IMHO a cross-bike, SS, or fully rigid is way more fun on this loop.......but if your 6 inch. AM bike is your only rig, I guess that's OK too.......:thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

exactly, the loop can be ridden on a ten speed. its anything but mountian biking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.