mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Front tire recommendation

Looking for recommendations on a front tire for So Cal. I ride Simpson park mostly but also Hurkey and SRP. Want good grip when turning with a decent roll.

mtbr member
    Hurkey is my main ride but I live in Hemet and hit the local dirt when I do not feel like heading up the hill.. My fave is a nevegal ust up front and a small block 8 ust in the rear. the nev sticks plenty good, went to ust because got sick of tearing sidewalls and pinchflats. The nev is pretty slow but really sticky but the small block in the rear seams to pick up any loss from up front
    K.C.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    My vote, "blue grooves" 2.5 full sticky front, dual compound 2.1 rear.
    I liked nevegals, but they have that "no mans land" when leaned over between slightly & all the way over, at least for me.

mtbr member
    I run a Nev too (2.35 DTC) and agree with the "no man's land" assessment. I gotta keep weight over the front in a hard, leaning turn or it can wash and slide. I'm about 160lbs and run it at roughly 30-35psi. Rolls nice. Overall I'm happy with it but my next will be a Stick-E compound. Kendas are cheap, so it's worth $30 to try 'em out.

Excavator 2.10 in the rear. Simply love that tire out back but everybody has their preference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Garagemonkey
    I run a Nev too (2.35 DTC) and agree with the "no man's land" assessment. I gotta keep weight over the front in a hard, leaning turn or it can wash and slide. I'm about 160lbs and run it at roughly 30-35psi. Rolls nice. .
    I used to run 30 - 35 psi up front and they were a little loose now I keep them at around 25psi and have zero issues
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    I have run a Z Max in the front for years here in Socal. A lot of grip and more importantly very predictable in a slide. Either way in this area I would not run a square tire in the front. That edge does not bite in the hardpack and rocks we have around here. For the back I run a Nevegal which I really like as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am also looking for a front tire recommendation for san diego trails. I just put on my new tires, a 2.1 excavator for the back, and 2.35 nevegal up front, and the nevegal seems way too big for the trails around here, so im thinking about returning it and getting a different front tire. I have also read that the excavator is good up front.

I want a front tire that grabs around corners but also has good rolling resistance, so do you guys think I should stick with the 2.35 nevegal up front, or maybe get the 2.1, or just get a different tire completely?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk
    I have run a Z Max in the front for years here in Socal. A lot of grip and more importantly very predictable in a slide. Either way in this area I would not run a square tire in the front. That edge does not bite in the hardpack and rocks we have around here. For the back I run a Nevegal which I really like as well.
    What Z Max do you use? Looks like there is a classic, intuition, evolution, premonition.

"so pitted"
    Here's a list of some good socal fronts (in my opinion)

El Moco 2.3 (2.5 if you are hitting steep trails) by Kenda. Great side knobs for gripping corners and all Stic-E rubber and really light
    Nobby Nic by Schwalbe 2.4 (really a 2.3). I run this now and its an amazing front tire.
    High Roller by Maxxis (never used it but a lot of people love this tire)

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    On a whim I bought a set of Spesh Purgatory 2.4s here and have had great traction everywhere from hardpack to soft sandy stuff. Since im lightweight Ive been runing 20 in the front and 25 in the rear with tubes and havent had a flat cept for once in the rear from cactus. The only downside is these tires are faster on dirt than the road, if thats an issue for you.
    05 Spesh Rockhopper

mtbr member
    I have ridden these Kenda's in the past - Nevegal, Blue Groove and Excavator. They hooked up pretty well, but I wanted to find something that rolled better.

I now run a Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.4 (runs a little narrow). I really like it. I have also experimented with a Racing Ralph 2.2 in less aggressive areas and have been really happy with it too.

The next tire that I want to try up front is a Conti Trail King 2.2 (runs a little big), but I have a feeling that it will not roll as well as the Nobby Nic.
    Last edited by bauhaus; 08-25-2010 at 08:55 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have four sets of tires for the bike. Depending on weather, trail and how lazy I am that day (running what is on the bike rather than making a switch out.)

Three different size Nevengals for the front (too cheap to buy Shwabbbbys.)

I have a 2.3 Nev, 2.1 SB8 and Klimax for the rear.
    I don't like the SB8, the Klimax works as well (not good for aggresive decending) and is lighter.

And a set of Raptors...
    Addicted to the dirt......with no hope for recovery.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    2.25 or wider in the front. Currently using the Ignitor by Maxxis. No complaint!

Waiting for my Obamabucks
    I ride a Nevegal DTC 2.35 on the front.
    I ran SB8's on the front and it would be o.k. if you don't expect a lot.
    I had a Panaracer Fire Pro and almost killed myself! That tire just plain sucks for a front! Really washed out unpredictably.
    I'm a big guy, not as big as Broke That's avatar though.
    2010 Santa Cruz Blur LT2, Fox TALAS Terralogic, Fox RP23 shock, SRAM X0, XTR Trail Brakes, Stans/Chris King Wheelset