Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006

Freeride or Downhill trails in San diego

Where are the freeriding trails in san diego at? I can't find to many good ones.
    Thanks,
    Wil

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Really, there aren't that many. I get my fix by:

Shuttling Noble Canyon
    Pushing Iron Mountain
    Shuttling Ortega
    Shuttling Ted Williams

but really, its bleak down here. Move to Canada.

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    yeah whister rules. lol.Where are these places located.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    dig around the 'trail reveiws' part of the website. Ortega may also be refered to as the San Juan Trail.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarnageAsada
    Really, there aren't that many. I get my fix by:

Shuttling Noble Canyon
    Pushing Iron Mountain
    Shuttling Ortega
    Shuttling Ted Williams

but really, its bleak down here. Move to Canada.

well noble/san juan are certainly NOT freeride trails. they are XC cruiser rides.
    the freeride trails are

ted williams (go as big as you want, 40 foot gaps)
    jamul (rocky, drops, jumps)
    xxxxx (xx part has some decent drops)
    also as mentioned iron mountain and lake poway are fairly technical.
    aliso woods in OC that is 1hour+ away also.

but i agree, move to vancouver! 100X more freeride trails than here.
    Last edited by dft; 07-12-2006 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I didn't say they were outstanding choices, but for DH san juan and noble are two of the better around. when I need to get my flying time in, TW is definately my choice.

How is XX? I haven't been there in a while. last time I was out there (sept 2004?) it was real grim...

while moving to vancouver isn't feasible for me at the moment, I am making a 2 week trip up there in august.
    Last edited by CarnageAsada; 07-17-2006 at 02:05 PM.

dft
    mtbr member
    I didn't say they were outstanding choices, but for DH san juan and noble are two of the better around. when I need to get my flying time in, TW is definately my choice.

How is World Cup? I haven't been there in a while. last time I was out there (sept 2004?) it was real grim...

while moving to vancouver isn't feasible for me at the moment, I am making a 2 week trip up there in august.
    WC is decent. there are some fun new drops, not alot of flow though, but some decent techno.
    i'll be in whistler/shore in sept also.

mtbr member

Careful now..

Noble is NOT a DH or freeride trail. It's an excellent multi-use trail which is also great for aggressive cross country riding. True, you can shuttle it, but please be careful and give way to hikers and horses. It'll be a shame if we lose this gem of a trail.

TW is certainly the place to be for flight time and DH.

Silence and Thunder...
    I've got a friend that lives near Ted Williams Prkwy, but have never heard of a trail there..??
    (other than PQ canyon...)

Where is it??
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Shoal Creek Dr off TW Pkway (just east of 15) or Meadowbrook off Pomerado Rd

http://www.dirtfocus.com/photos2004/...dco1_index.htm

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

downhilling

How is World Cup? I haven't been there in a while. last time I was out there (sept 2004?) it was real grim...

at least in teh purest sense of the word seems like a waste on SJT. there really isn't anything on that trail that warrants rear suspension let alone 6 inches of it. sure, you'll go a bit faster than I will on my HT but other than the fact that it's a long downhill it's not really a DOWNHILL!

Noble i will concede will be fun on a squishy. I don't know since I only ride a HT and can clean every section of the trail (except for that darn switchback). It definitely takes more finesse on the HT but I can see how a long travel squishy would be fun out there.

XX is the place for the pure freeride/DH experience.

YR
    Last edited by Yeti_Rider; 07-13-2006 at 06:37 AM.

mtbr member
    My best run down Noble was around '98 or '99 on my HT. My second best was just a few months ago on my 5x5.

Yeti,
    I thought your avatar was of your boy. Now, I see that someone else has it as well.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Fight Club!!

GODDAMNIT! Are you people really this F'n stupid?!! Quit discussing this crap in an open Forum. DFT, you of all people should know better. Take this crap off line if you want to name trails.

It's no wonder the good stuff gets closed down.

SHEESH.

How many F'n times do we have to go over this?

The first rule of fight club is................
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 07-12-2006 at 11:09 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    GODDAMNIT! Are you people really this F'n stupid?!! Quit discussing this crap in an open Forum. DFT, you of all people should know better. Take this crap off line if you want to name trails.

It's no wonder the good stuff gerts closed down.

SHEESH.

Hey douchebag, I would love to explore these trails....and was wondering if I could borrow your bike to do so.

dft
    mtbr member

It's no wonder the good stuff gerts closed down.

SHEESH.

fair enough, my apologies.
    TW is totally legal and mentioned EVERYWHERE else (even bike mags). the other trail is also mentioned in a ****load of places, but probably best not to blatently advertise it. i'm glad someone posted about it for me though, that is how i found it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

closed

thats it, all trails in the alpine area are now officially closed until further notice.
    the mayor of A%$

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    did I do something wrong? WHy is every getting mad at people for talking about trails. Of all places i would be leastworried about people ruining trails on a mountainbiking website. But my apoligies for starting a thread about trails that may get ruined.

mtbr member

Not you!

Quote Originally Posted by skyjumper
    did I do something wrong? WHy is every getting mad at people for talking about trails. Of all places i would be leastworried about people ruining trails on a mountainbiking website. But my apoligies for starting a thread about trails that may get ruined.
    The peeps responding should've thought about how to respond. If you look in the right hand qurater of this page you will see Welcome, skyjumper. Below that is Private Messages. YOu can click on that to receive, duh, private messages.

Some trails mentioned could be closed due to, the Man, spying on MTBR.

EDIT: Maybe the clicky part is more toward the middle right when the page is still at the begining.

Silence and Thunder...
    Thnx Rodster--

Steve, absolutley LOVE yer new avitar!! Nothing says I love you all quite like a pair of f'n flies f'n...

For the grommets: NOBLE CANYON trail has been on the verge of closure many times thanks to DISRESPECTFUL IDIOTS who do shuttle/downhill runs. Don't do that.

There are no legal, open MTB trail in the Alpine area.....

...this Ted Williams trail sounds interesting, however. Not that I have the skills to ride it, I wouldn't mind checking it out...when this weather cools down...

mtbr member

Best Mex Food

My question is where are all the best Mexican food places near the freeride or downhill trails in San Diego.

1. Mananas in Alpine is good one, was there last week on a business trip and their breakfast huevos rancheros was killer.

2. That place in Poway at the corner of Twin Peaks RD and Espola RD is okay, close to Iron MT.

That one on HWY 371 in Anza that DFT and I tried wasn't too bad.

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    Why are all the alpine trails closing?

mtbr member
    They are not closing. They are not open. They can't be closed if they were never opened. As in, never really opened by any legislation or orginization.

Jus' Ridin' Along

It's hard to hold back...

But TS to those that get offended:

Noble and San Juan Trails are getting trashed by the skidiot shuttlecocks and those trails' existence as multi-use is being jeopardized by the boneheads that think those trails (among others) are their private DH courses.
    And just an FYI: It takes less time for this old fart to ride up to Cocktail Rock than for the coast potatoes to load all their bikes and drive up to the top.(and go back for the other monster truck) So the old excuse of " I don't have time to ride up" is lame...

Recent scenario at a trail work day:
    US: Fixing the mega-rut and cut through on a switchback caused by assjacks locking rear wheels to skid through turns (exacerbated by erosion). All of us wearing mtb logo'd clothing, camelbaks, some on bikes, all wielding tools.
    THEM: Group of fully armored knuckadraggers on 50 lb+ megabikes engaged in semi-race.
    Exchange: 1st of them: "Dooood, you just jacked my flow".
    Us:" Sorry, we're out here trying to repair the damage to keep the trail open".
    Them: " Huh?"
    Us: "yeah, and if you wouldn't mind, there is some fresh tread work on the next switchback, so please go easy when you make the turn".
    Them: "Huh?"
    Them a little further down the trail (but within earshot) talking to group of uphill riders: " Uh, there's a bunch of hikers up there with shovels. We dunno what they're doing but watch out for them".
    Man, I just love talking to morons!
    Then to top it off, we get back down to the trail head and these asshats have their obnoxious music at an obnoxious volume while they sit around smoking cigarettes and drinking crappy beer. Gotta love the fact that some ****forbrains will be piloting his 10" lifted Excursion up Ortega Hwy with a few beers under in his gut.
    Think this is only once in a while? Nope, you will find similar types out there just about every weekend! And of course, they all show up when we post a trail work day

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Now, concerning Aliso Woods/ LCWP: for those that think freeriding the illegal trails is a blast, especially in large groups on weekends, I just want to thank you in advance for getting trails shut down to all of us when the local land managers have had enough.
    You guys are real men of genius!

Seriously folks, there is a real lack of etiquette and just plain common sense on the trails. I just keep trying to remind our brethren to use the big head...
    If ya gotta good tool, build a shed over it

"The most blatant lies are told just after a fishing trip, during a war, and just before an election"

mtbr member

Bobble

Hey man don't hold back, go ahead and say what's on your mind. Just kidding dude. I am with ya all the way. I recall a post recently where a shuttler said that if hikers don't have the sense to get out of the way, they deserve what ever happens. It's that kind of attitude that will help keep the trails closed. One thing I have learned about trail advocacy is that you spend half your time fighting other user groups who want you off their trails and the other fighting with other bikers who are ignorant to the reality of the sport.
    I'm not saying downhilling is bad. I just don't think multi-use trails are the place to do it. Mr. and Mrs. Birdwatcher and the Boy Scouts have just as much right to use multiuse trails as we do and they deserve to feel safe while doing it. It's unfortunate there is not an appropriate place for the sport nearby but that's no excuse trash our trails and put others in danger.

BTW - If these 53 year old legs can push a SS up to Cocktail Rock, there are no excuses for anyone except pure laziness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the oh so true version of shuttlers/downhillers. I think their options for their kind of riding is small so multi use trails get ruined by them as well as John Q Public's opinion of mtbers. Believe me the evidence of the knuckledragging skidiots abounds on the trails here also.Great comment don't worry about pissing off a group that fits that description.

Just another FOCer
    Darn Shuttle Scum!

Then there are those XC jerks that come bombing down Meadows. Lord help you if you are taking a break within 2 feet of the trail. They will curse you, but won't stick around to discuss it. Must be too hard to slow down them sub 30 pound bikes.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Dumb it down

Quote Originally Posted by BobL

Seriously folks, there is a real lack of etiquette and just plain common sense on the trails. I just keep trying to remind our brethren to use the big head...
    Canyun Trash:

It's extremely frustrating to see the amount of abuse and lack of common sense taking place on some of our trails.

I shake my head in disbelief when I see switchbacks on SJT that have been cut 2 or 3 times in some places. It must be justifiable in someway, because I imagine that you can save .654 of a second to cut a switchback.

Kinda off topic here.....but one thing that I'm seeing more of on Noble Canyon is the dumbing down of a lot of sections. This is nothing new..it's been occuring forever.

Last weekend Dirty D and me placed piles of deadfall on the "Widowmaker". The trail is being pushed off to the right to avoid going through the chunk. It's just human nature I guess..that if you can't ride, or walk, or horse, through a section... then, it's perfectly acceptable to dumb it down to your level and ruin the asthetics of the trail in the process.

Anyone want to wager how long that deadfall will stay there?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 07-13-2006 at 08:09 AM.

Jus' Ridin' Along

Hopper...

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    Hey man don't hold back, go ahead and say what's on your mind. Just kidding dude. I am with ya all the way. I recall a post recently where a shuttler said that if hikers don't have the sense to get out of the way, they deserve what ever happens. It's that kind of attitude that will help keep the trails closed. One thing I have learned about trail advocacy is that you spend half your time fighting other user groups who want you off their trails and the other fighting with other bikers who are ignorant to the reality of the sport.
    I'm not saying downhilling is bad. I just don't think multi-use trails are the place to do it. Mr. and Mrs. Birdwatcher and the Boy Scouts have just as much right to use multiuse trails as we do and they deserve to feel safe while doing it. It's unfortunate there is not an appropriate place for the sport nearby but that's no excuse trash our trails and put others in danger.

BTW - If these 53 year old legs can push a SS up to Cocktail Rock, there are no excuses for anyone except pure laziness.
    Right on...
    I still remember that evening I dragged you to a meeting and said "Here... run with this for a while". Glad you took up the offer. Keep fighting; good for the soul.
    BTW, the new wife gets a message about blood on erection and I don't? Always knew you liked her better Heal up soon; you missed a good party.

"The most blatant lies are told just after a fishing trip, during a war, and just before an election"

Jus' Ridin' Along
    Winston, check your PM's

mtbr member

Aqua

We had this same problem on the Rattlesnake trail in El Moro. Basically bikers were changing the trail to match their skills intead of changing their skills to match the trail. No matter how much wood and small rocks we piled on the cheater sections, they would be moved within a week. We ended up getting a big group together to go up there and permanently block the cheater trail with boulders.

Bobble - sorry about the email thing. For some reason your addy fell out of my address book but I found T's on the party invite. Sorry we missed the party but I spent the entire day in the ER. They sewed me up once then decided they didn't like it so they pulled out the stitches and did all over again. I know I have had a shin bone all my life but this was first time I have actually seen it.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper
    We had this same problem on the Rattlesnake trail in El Moro. Basically bikers were changing the trail to match their skills intead of changing their skills to match the trail. No matter how much wood and small rocks we piled on the cheater sections, they would be moved within a week. We ended up getting a big group together to go up there and permanently block the cheater trail with boulders.
    Unfortunately, your spot on. Here's another example that blows my mind. This is a tame little section off of the BLT. Apparently, the original line was simply too technical to manuever for some. So, unable to controllably negotiate the turn, they opted to just shoot wide and create a new line.

I blocked the damage off with deadfall............ and the following weekend it was removed.

What is the mindset of someone who comes across this? Do they think to themselves:
    " WTF??? Someone is trying to booby-trap my line?"

You solution is probably the only way to circumvent this. The next few trail days at Noble, I want to get some big pry bars down there and move some BIG rocks around.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 07-13-2006 at 08:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well if it makes you XC guys feel better I was going up a multi use trail the other day on my DH bike. Ok, I was pushing it.
    Anyway some dude rips around a blind corner (no bell, no brake check) and I just could not get out of the way fast enough. He cliped one of my pedals with his shin. Of course he ate it bad and just went off on me.
    Now I felt bad that my shinbuger pedal tore him open pretty well but hey...... I thought the guy going uphill has the right away (even though I will always try to get out of any decenders way) ..... I told him I was sorry and did try to get out of the way. Oh, I also told him he was luck I was just pushing a bike and not riding a horse.

So there you have it, every group has someone who's poo sinks just as bad as the others. I bet he got a grip of stitches out of that deal.

Oh, I bet it's not the DH crowd that's "dumbing down" your trails.

Why aren't you riding????
    You solution is probably the only way to circumvent this. The next few trail days at Noble, I want to get some big pry bars down there and move some BIG rocks around.

Classic! So you want to take pry bars out and re-landscape so that someone can't ride off the trail?

There are more mountain bikers then ever...........there aren't more trails. This means the landscape will change, not maybe it will change or should it change, but IT WILL CHANGE.

Whether or not you accept this is your prerogative, but deeming yourself judge and jury of what can and can't be done or who and who shouldn't ride on a public trail is an Elitist attitude. You want it your way, buy some land.

I don't condone cutting switchbacks or making new lines, but MTBers bit**ing about MTBers is a waste of breath in the big picture.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Tunnel Vision

Quote Originally Posted by offtheedge
    Classic! So you want to take pry bars out and re-landscape so that someone can't ride off the trail?

There are more mountain bikers then ever...........there aren't more trails. This means the landscape will change, not maybe it will change or should it change, but IT WILL CHANGE.

Whether or not you accept this is your prerogative, but deeming yourself judge and jury of what can and can't be done or who and who shouldn't ride on a public trail is an Elitist attitude. You want it your way, buy some land.

I don't condone cutting switchbacks or making new lines, but MTBers bit**ing about MTBers is a waste of breath in the big picture.
    I'm going to try to and respect your opinion here. But, you're just wrong. Call it an elitist attitude if you will, but I, along with a number of others, spend countless hours doing what we can to maintain the trails, specifically Noble Canyon, here in San Diego.

I trust that you as a responsible mountain biker do the same and give back to the trails that you frequent.

"You want it your way, buy some land". That is a really dumb comment. That same mindset is exactly why so many of our trails are hammered beyond recognition in areas. If all users had this attitude of "Ohh Well, the trail is just gonna evolve and change anyway, so there's no point in being proactive in an attempt to preserve it".

It's unfortunate that you interpret my comments as "MTBers bittching about MTBers is a waste of breath in the big picture".

"Bittching about it as a waste of time"???? Bittching, perhaps. But, I put my Pulaski where my mouth is. I'm curious....when you are riding your local trails and you see someone riding irresponsibly, or doing something destructive to the trail, do you turn the other cheek, or do you call them on it? When you see some brush that has overgrown onto the trail do you simply ride wide to avoid it, or do you stop and cut it back to help promote people of all user groups sticking to the original line?

It's largely because of people with your narrow minded mindset that you see widened, blown out turns on what was once sweet 8" wide singletrack. But, Ohh well, right....There's nothing that can be done because the trails are just "evolving".

Are you missing the point completely, of the examples that I've posted here? Or, are you just looking for a cyber fight?

Aqua

PS For what it's worth, I work closely with the members of SDMBA and the forest service regarding maintenance at Noble Canyon. And, yes..that includes the use of pry bars. It's a very special place and I'll do what I can to help preserve it's beauty.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 07-13-2006 at 01:13 PM.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    Darn Shuttle Scum!

Then there are those XC jerks that come bombing down Meadows. Lord help you if you are taking a break within 2 feet of the trail. They will curse you, but won't stick around to discuss it. Must be too hard to slow down them sub 30 pound bikes.

yea both xc weenies and fully armor clad dudes can be aholes on the descent. it shouldn't matter if they ride up or shuttle, but always try to be nice to hikers. i always stop unless they are already off to the side of the trail.

just a preference/personel taste here, but i have seen dudes on noble with 50 pound bikes with only a big chainring and the dude was toast 2/3rd down. good for a laugh though. i have never shuttled noble and always on my 42 pound rig. (not opposed to it though). but as others have mentioned, most times the shuttle takes just as long. (TW is the biggest laugh for a shuttle, climb takes 15 minutes, i can beat the shuttle dudes no problem).

iron mountain has also seen some dumbing down, bummer.

dt(the best uphills are pure HAB!)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    You make a good point that it's not the type of bike or even riding style so much as the attitude of the rider and yes many with the "I can do as I please and you shouldn't get in the way of my fun" attitude do happen to have XC bikes.

To me the most key point is that these trails in the national forest and other areas often have been around for a long time and were originally created for hiking. People realized that many of them could also support bicycles within limits and so far the Forest Service has permitted this on most trails. When people decide to create new trails or alter existing ones (changing switchbacks, etc.) on their own they're going contrary to those that created and manage the trails. When people ride downhill in a manner that could not reasonably avoid a family hiking the trail they are going contrary to those that decided to permit cycling on the trail. Now if you can talk those folks in to permitting the change then great, but "we the people" have chosen to let folks like the Forest Service manage these taking into account feedback from many diverse groups and we should respect their decisions or lobby to get changes.

So bomb aggresively downhill in places designed for that and go carefully downhill in places designed for hiking and other purposes. And don't just rely on yelling alerts -- the only way to safely pass families, birdwatchers, etc. is slowing before you get to them.

Just another FOCer
    Well put DT.
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

I'm going to try to and respect your opinion here. But, you're just wrong. Call it an elitist attitude if you will, but I, along with a number of others, spend countless hours doing what we can to maintain the trails, specifically Noble Canyon, here in San Diego.

I trust that you as a responsible mountain biker do the same and give back to the trails that you frequent.

"You want it your way, buy some land". That is a really dumb comment. That same mindset is exactly why so many of our trails are hammered beyond recognition in areas. If all users had this attitude of "Ohh Well, the trail is just gonna evolve and change, so there's no point in being proactive in an attempt to preserve it".

It's unfortunate that you interpret my comments as "MTBers bittching about MTBers is a waste of breath in the big picture".

"Bittching about it as a waste of time"???? Bittching, perhaps. But, I put my Pulaski where my mouth is. I'm curious....when you are riding your local trails and you see someone riding irresponsibly, or doing something destructive to the trail, do you turn the other cheek, or do you call them on it? When you see some brush that has overgrown onto the trail do you simply ride wide to avoid it, or do you stop and cut it back to help promote people of all user groups sticking to the original line?

It's largely because of people with your narrow minded mindset that you see widened, blown out turns on what was once sweet 8" wide singletrack. But, Ohh well, right....There's nothing that can be done because the trails will "evolve".

Are you missing the point completely, of the examples that I've posted here? Or, are you just looking for a cyber fight?

Aqua

PS For what it's worth, I work closely with the members of SDMBA and the forest service regarding maintenance at Noble Canyon. And, yes..that includes the use of pry bars. It's a very special place and I'll do what I can to help preserve it's beauty.

No cyber fight, just a point of view.

See the difference between you and me is obvious. I respect you and your opinions. I don’t call your opinions wrong. They are just opinions. You however are convinced that you are right and others are wrong. You believe that your level of effort and public advocacy have entitled you to deem what someon else does as bad or wrong. You believe that someone with less conviction to mtbing than you should have less say. I commend you in your efforts. I respect you in your advocacy, but I don't have to agree with you. I don't have to accept what you have laid out in front of me as the right line, or the right attitude nor do I assume the role of judge and jury towards any MTBer. When I see trash on the trail....I pick it up. End of story. I don't need to make a post about how I'm gonna beat someone’s a**. I just pick it up and ride on.

Education, etiquette, respect, these are all things you learn over time. Some do and some don't. There is no contract of proper MTBing. Your anger towards less knowledgeable, uncaring MTBers only feeds that type of personality.
    The face of MTBing is changing. More bikers, not more trails. Shorter learning curves, less mentoring. It's just a fact. The "way it should be" or "way it was" sermons don't do anything but make the person giving them feel better. Whether or not the change is good won't prolong the fact that it will happen.

Don't take my "Buy Land" comment out of context. There is a big difference between preservation and maintenance. Mountain bikes are not conducive to preserving land. The act in it's self is destructive. Up, down it doesn't matter since it is public land we all have the same right to ride it our way. If you choose to put in hundreds of hours grooming to your liking, that is your prerogative, but you have to accept that you still no more own that trail than anyone. If you want your values and criteria for proper use followed, then you shouldn't be putting your efforts into public trails and then flaming people who use them differently. Again, what’s right for you and many like you just doesn't hold true for everyone.

You are an advocate of mountain biking. I'm sure have put in countless hours towards trying to keep these great trains open and I thank you for that, but again that is your choice. You need to be doing that for your pleasure, not as some badge to waive in the face of someone who doesn't see things the same way. ME? Yes I do get off the saddle and work the trails. I could probably stand to do it more, but as it were I'm just a MTBer. I made most my friends biking, my passion lies in MTBing and my life has enough politics and drama in it to keep me from ever getting upset whilst MTBing. I have faith that this Rock we live on will be just fine.
    Last edited by offtheedge; 07-13-2006 at 03:02 PM.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Good points here guys. In my classic fence-sitter fashion I can honestly say that I see the merit to both sides.

I'm just curious . . . With respect to Noble - Would the Forest Service be opposed to allowing SDMBA to post some sign or even hand out pamphlets at the top (and bottom) on what is considered to be good mtb etiquette or "trail-saving" technique? I know that no one but the Forest Service would have an answer to that question but I wonder if it has ever been brought up before. I think that would be a worth while effort that would help to educate the community, or at least those riding there. I can't imagine why the Forest Service would oppose it as it would help their cause to maintain the trail in a safe and environmentally friendly manner.

BTW - Aqua, it is good to see you posting again. I was afraid that the Homers had chased you off for good!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

It's no wonder the good stuff gets closed down.

SHEESH.

Aqua, the cat's out of the bag. Check out the back two pages of the F'n UT's Sports Page today. They call it "Flip Side" and they are advertizing ATT, Noble, SJT and others. We'll have every Wallmart bike in the county out there with us soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SortaSlow
    Aqua, the cat's out of the bag. Check out the back two pages of the F'n UT's Sports Page today. They call it "Flip Side" and they are advertizing ATT, Noble, SJT and others. We'll have every Wallmart bike in the county out there with us soon.

HAAAAAAAAA! Wow, thank you for that. You just put a glaring exclamation point at the end of everything I've said. Fine work.

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by offtheedge
    You however are convinced that you are right and others are wrong. You believe that your level of effort and public advocacy have entitled you to deem what someon else does as bad or wrong. .

You (almost) sound like a responsible adult here, but you're really missing THE POINT.

Aqua is not stating what he thinks is right or wrong, he is simply stating the standard guidelines that all responsible trail users already know.
    Have you ever had a trail you use (let alone one of your favorites) closed to bikes because "more bikes = trail evolution"?? If you had, then you would understand. It really does happen. Snow Summit (Big Bear) now has strict rules about "DH" bikes not being allowed because of what we're talking about here. It does happen.
    Unfortunaltely, we really don't have any WFO DH trails in the county. Luckily, we still have a number of multi-use trails open to us though. None of us want to lose any more.
    It's the few people who hammer DH so fast that they can't avoid a collision (pedal=shin) and the ones who are disrespectful at the trailheads (music/noise/trash...) and the ones that cut trails that spoil it for the rest of us.
    If you want to live and ride in San Diego/SoCal, do yourself and all of us a favor and get with the program...

btw- I too wish someone would open a proper DH/freeride area around here. It would be fun and help solve the problem...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Don't appreciate the attempted lecture, I just wanted to point out the damage that was done today by our local newspaper. You may not keep up with the news, but I urge you to take a look at today's sports page on the San Diego Union-Tribune. A LARGE, two-page-wide spread titled "Sweet Trail Mix" goes on with lengthy details about a list of SOCAL trails. For those of us who want to keep the trails "low key" this is a big setback.

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by SortaSlow
    Don't appreciate the attempted lecture, I just wanted to point out the damage that was done today by our local newspaper. You may not keep up with the news, but I urge you to take a look at today's sports page on the San Diego Union-Tribune. A LARGE, two-page-wide spread titled "Sweet Trail Mix" goes on with lengthy details about a list of SOCAL trails. For those of us who want to keep the trails "low key" this is a big setback.

word...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...13sweettr.html

29er Hater
    It sure is great to see so much passion in this thread, if I could get half as much passion from people regarding actually coming out for trailwork, Noble would be one sweet ribbon of singletrack! I personally think there is too much over reacting going on here, tho.

I hate to see the trail change for the worse because someone made the trail rideable instead of learning to ride the trail. But everyone is entitled to enjoy Multi-use trails and that includes riders who haven't put in the blood, sweat and tears of some of the more seasoned riders, at least they are out there trying and all they want is the same thing as you or me, to have a good time. I wonder if some riders can even recall their first time on Noble and how much walking they did or wondering "how does anybody ride any of this".

It's important to keep this all in perspective, don't stare at your front wheel, look far down the trail.

And don't forget to support your local trail workers.

mark@sdmba.com
    Shuttle Noble? Hell No!

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    [QUOTE=offtheedge]No cyber fight, just a point of view.

"See the difference between you and me is obvious. I respect you and your opinions. I don't call your opinions wrong. They are just opinions. You however are convinced that you are right and others are wrong. You believe that your level of effort and public advocacy have entitled you to deem what someonelse does as bad or wrong. You believe that someone with less conviction to mtbing than you should have less say. I commened you in your efforts. I respect you in your advocacy, but i don't have to agree with you. I don't have to accept what you have laid out in front of me as the right line, or the right attitude nor do i assume the role of judge and jury towards any MTBer. When i see trash on the trail....I pick it up. End of story. I don't need to make a post about how I'm gonna beat someones a**. I just pick it up and ride on".

WOW, your ability to get inside my head and tell me what I believe and how I think is uncanny! Here, try to wrap your head around this concept.... There is a huge difference between having polarized viewpoints and then having those attitudes spill over into behaviour on the trail. In the context of our discussion here, I think it comes down to an issue of education. You're absolutely correct, I am beyond frustrated with what I see going on out there. It pisses me off when I see user groups(not exclusively MTB'ers) who are hemorraging our favorite trails. Some of it is intentional,and some of it is out of sheer ignorance. So, it becomes an issue of educating those who do stupid things that in turn either totally degrade the trail or worse, get us expelled completely. Am I to understand that what you're saying is that you find it perfectly acceptable for riders to create an off trail line because as tax payers it is their god given right?

Do we really need to get into the specifics as to why this is fundamentally wrong? Are you really that much in the dark?

It's this turning of the cheek attitude and unwillingness to speak up that I find chickenshiit. So, you see a Gu wrapper on the trail and you pick it up. That's killer. I challenge you to take it a step further.

Education, etiquette, respect, these are all things you learn over time. Some do and some don't. There is no contract of proper MTBing.Your anger towards less knowledgable, uncaring MTBers only feeds that type of personality.
    The face of MTBing is changing. More bikers, not more trails. Shorter learning curves, less mentoring. It's just a fact. The "way it should be" or "way it was" sermens don't do anything but make the person giving them feel better. Whether or not the change is good won't prolong the fact that it will happen.

That is a fatalistic attitude. "There is no contract of proper MTBing" There sure as hell is...IMBA guidelines spells out all kinds of protocol. C'mon man, it boils down to common sense. No, you know what? It's a lot more than common sense. It's F'n laziness and a disregard for others.

"Don't take my "Buy Land" comment out of context. There is a big difference between preservation and maintenence. Mountain bikes are not conducive to preserving land. The act in it's self is destructive. Up, down it doesn't matter since it is public land we all have the same right to ride it our way. If you choose to put in hundreds of hours grooming to your liking, that is your perogative, but you have to accept that you still no more own that trail than anyone. If you want your values and criteria for proper use followed, then you shouldn't be putting your efforts into public trails and then flaming people who use them differently. Again, whats right for you and many like you just doesn't hold true for everyone".

"Up, down it doesn't matter since it is public land we all have the same right to ride it our way. If you choose to put in hundreds of hours grooming to your liking, that is your perogative, but you have to accept that you still no more own that trail than anyone. If you want your values and criteria for proper use followed, then you shouldn't be putting your efforts into public trails and then flaming people who use them differently. Again, whats right for you and many like you just doesn't hold true for everyone".

What do you mean don't take my "Buy land" comment out of context? How the hell else am I to take that? And, where did you read that I proclaimed ownership to any trail? But, here's the thing.. if I have to come across as an assshole and risk hurting some delicate little sensitive trail user's feelings to ensure that OUR trail doesn't end up looking like SJT, then that's tough. Again, some of the crap your selling here doesn't fly. You are looking at the world with blinders on if you think that my efforts being put into public trails are somehow misguided. It's the selfish viewpoint of people who make comments like this that get trails closed down to us.

Do I feel strongly about this? Hell yes! I am beyond pissed when I see challenging lines filled in with boulders, or obstacles removed so that someone who is just too lazy to learn how to negotiate it, takes it upon themselves to dumb it down to their level.
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 07-13-2006 at 08:12 PM.

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    I am a downhiller and freerider but 99% of the time I ride up the hill before going down.I also build the trails I jump on so I don't mind breaking through it. Besides that's the only way to turn when your flying down a hill at 50 mph. Some downhillers and shuttlers aren't lazy and at least we don't wear those spandex shorts like xc geeks lol.
    Last edited by skyjumper; 07-13-2006 at 08:07 PM.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

walking? who walks noble?

He!!, I remember walking the staircase after already successfully cleaning it before and thinking to myself "how in the HE!! to people ride this" yet I was one of them!

YR

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by skyjumper
    Where are the freeriding trails in san diego at? I can't find to many good ones.
    Thanks,
    Wil
    I heard there were some good ones near Miramar. Just tell the Marines your good buddy Al Kida sent you. They'll show you the goods.

mechmann_mtb
    Wow.

One thing I CAN say for sure, roadies don't fight like this! (they just fight over who takes more EPO/hormones) LOL

I too like to ride fast downhill, but I really do my best to stay within my limits. I do this for the safety of others mostly (my friends know I don't have much concern for my own safety LOL) The few times I have startled other trail users I have made sure to appologize, although at that point the damage is already done. I don't have a good solution for the problem of startling other users, except maybe restricting trails to specified direction (uphill, downhill, clockwise loop etc) I think the most important thing is to try to respect each other and educate the ignorant. There are a few people who cannot be helped, like the skidiots that almost knocked my wife off a cliff because they were descending SJT with their feet on the head tube instead of their pedals. These people just need to get beat with a bat.

I don't do much trail work, but I do my best to educate my fellow riders when I can. I teach people how not to skid through switchbacks, to embrace difficult sections of trails (or walk and admire the skill of others, I am certainly not above this and neither should they be, riding with Aqua is an excersize in humility).

I for one would hate to see any more trails in the socal area get shut down due to the neglect/ignorance of people who simply don't care.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast