Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006

Freeride or Downhill trails in San diego

Where are the freeriding trails in san diego at? I can't find to many good ones.
    Thanks,
    Wil

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Really, there aren't that many. I get my fix by:

Shuttling Noble Canyon
    Pushing Iron Mountain
    Shuttling Ortega
    Shuttling Ted Williams

but really, its bleak down here. Move to Canada.

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    yeah whister rules. lol.Where are these places located.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    dig around the 'trail reveiws' part of the website. Ortega may also be refered to as the San Juan Trail.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarnageAsada
    Really, there aren't that many. I get my fix by:

Shuttling Noble Canyon
    Pushing Iron Mountain
    Shuttling Ortega
    Shuttling Ted Williams

but really, its bleak down here. Move to Canada.

well noble/san juan are certainly NOT freeride trails. they are XC cruiser rides.
    the freeride trails are

ted williams (go as big as you want, 40 foot gaps)
    jamul (rocky, drops, jumps)
    xxxxx (xx part has some decent drops)
    also as mentioned iron mountain and lake poway are fairly technical.
    aliso woods in OC that is 1hour+ away also.

but i agree, move to vancouver! 100X more freeride trails than here.
    Last edited by dft; 07-12-2006 at 11:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I didn't say they were outstanding choices, but for DH san juan and noble are two of the better around. when I need to get my flying time in, TW is definately my choice.

How is XX? I haven't been there in a while. last time I was out there (sept 2004?) it was real grim...

while moving to vancouver isn't feasible for me at the moment, I am making a 2 week trip up there in august.
    Last edited by CarnageAsada; 07-17-2006 at 02:05 PM.

dft
    mtbr member
    I didn't say they were outstanding choices, but for DH san juan and noble are two of the better around. when I need to get my flying time in, TW is definately my choice.

How is World Cup? I haven't been there in a while. last time I was out there (sept 2004?) it was real grim...

while moving to vancouver isn't feasible for me at the moment, I am making a 2 week trip up there in august.
    WC is decent. there are some fun new drops, not alot of flow though, but some decent techno.
    i'll be in whistler/shore in sept also.

mtbr member

Careful now..

Noble is NOT a DH or freeride trail. It's an excellent multi-use trail which is also great for aggressive cross country riding. True, you can shuttle it, but please be careful and give way to hikers and horses. It'll be a shame if we lose this gem of a trail.

TW is certainly the place to be for flight time and DH.

Silence and Thunder...
    I've got a friend that lives near Ted Williams Prkwy, but have never heard of a trail there..??
    (other than PQ canyon...)

Where is it??
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Shoal Creek Dr off TW Pkway (just east of 15) or Meadowbrook off Pomerado Rd

http://www.dirtfocus.com/photos2004/...dco1_index.htm

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

downhilling

How is World Cup? I haven't been there in a while. last time I was out there (sept 2004?) it was real grim...

at least in teh purest sense of the word seems like a waste on SJT. there really isn't anything on that trail that warrants rear suspension let alone 6 inches of it. sure, you'll go a bit faster than I will on my HT but other than the fact that it's a long downhill it's not really a DOWNHILL!

Noble i will concede will be fun on a squishy. I don't know since I only ride a HT and can clean every section of the trail (except for that darn switchback). It definitely takes more finesse on the HT but I can see how a long travel squishy would be fun out there.

XX is the place for the pure freeride/DH experience.

YR
    Last edited by Yeti_Rider; 07-13-2006 at 06:37 AM.

mtbr member
    My best run down Noble was around '98 or '99 on my HT. My second best was just a few months ago on my 5x5.

Yeti,
    I thought your avatar was of your boy. Now, I see that someone else has it as well.

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Fight Club!!

GODDAMNIT! Are you people really this F'n stupid?!! Quit discussing this crap in an open Forum. DFT, you of all people should know better. Take this crap off line if you want to name trails.

It's no wonder the good stuff gets closed down.

SHEESH.

How many F'n times do we have to go over this?

The first rule of fight club is................
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 07-12-2006 at 11:09 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    GODDAMNIT! Are you people really this F'n stupid?!! Quit discussing this crap in an open Forum. DFT, you of all people should know better. Take this crap off line if you want to name trails.

It's no wonder the good stuff gerts closed down.

SHEESH.

Hey douchebag, I would love to explore these trails....and was wondering if I could borrow your bike to do so.

dft
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic

It's no wonder the good stuff gerts closed down.

SHEESH.

fair enough, my apologies.
    TW is totally legal and mentioned EVERYWHERE else (even bike mags). the other trail is also mentioned in a shitload of places, but probably best not to blatently advertise it. i'm glad someone posted about it for me though, that is how i found it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

closed

thats it, all trails in the alpine area are now officially closed until further notice.
    the mayor of A%$

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    did I do something wrong? WHy is every getting mad at people for talking about trails. Of all places i would be leastworried about people ruining trails on a mountainbiking website. But my apoligies for starting a thread about trails that may get ruined.

mtbr member

Not you!

Quote Originally Posted by skyjumper
    did I do something wrong? WHy is every getting mad at people for talking about trails. Of all places i would be leastworried about people ruining trails on a mountainbiking website. But my apoligies for starting a thread about trails that may get ruined.
    The peeps responding should've thought about how to respond. If you look in the right hand qurater of this page you will see Welcome, skyjumper. Below that is Private Messages. YOu can click on that to receive, duh, private messages.

Some trails mentioned could be closed due to, the Man, spying on MTBR.

EDIT: Maybe the clicky part is more toward the middle right when the page is still at the begining.

Silence and Thunder...
    Thnx Rodster--

Steve, absolutley LOVE yer new avitar!! Nothing says I love you all quite like a pair of f'n flies f'n...

For the grommets: NOBLE CANYON trail has been on the verge of closure many times thanks to DISRESPECTFUL IDIOTS who do shuttle/downhill runs. Don't do that.

There are no legal, open MTB trail in the Alpine area.....

...this Ted Williams trail sounds interesting, however. Not that I have the skills to ride it, I wouldn't mind checking it out...when this weather cools down...
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member

Best Mex Food

My question is where are all the best Mexican food places near the freeride or downhill trails in San Diego.

1. Mananas in Alpine is good one, was there last week on a business trip and their breakfast huevos rancheros was killer.

2. That place in Poway at the corner of Twin Peaks RD and Espola RD is okay, close to Iron MT.

That one on HWY 371 in Anza that DFT and I tried wasn't too bad.

aka Suicidedownhiller
    Apr 2006
    Why are all the alpine trails closing?

mtbr member
    They are not closing. They are not open. They can't be closed if they were never opened. As in, never really opened by any legislation or orginization.

Jus' Ridin' Along

It's hard to hold back...

But TS to those that get offended:

Noble and San Juan Trails are getting trashed by the skidiot shuttlecocks and those trails' existence as multi-use is being jeopardized by the boneheads that think those trails (among others) are their private DH courses.
    And just an FYI: It takes less time for this old fart to ride up to Cocktail Rock than for the coast potatoes to load all their bikes and drive up to the top.(and go back for the other monster truck) So the old excuse of " I don't have time to ride up" is lame...

Recent scenario at a trail work day:
    US: Fixing the mega-rut and cut through on a switchback caused by assjacks locking rear wheels to skid through turns (exacerbated by erosion). All of us wearing mtb logo'd clothing, camelbaks, some on bikes, all wielding tools.
    THEM: Group of fully armored knuckadraggers on 50 lb+ megabikes engaged in semi-race.
    Exchange: 1st of them: "Dooood, you just jacked my flow".
    Us:" Sorry, we're out here trying to repair the damage to keep the trail open".
    Them: " Huh?"
    Us: "yeah, and if you wouldn't mind, there is some fresh tread work on the next switchback, so please go easy when you make the turn".
    Them: "Huh?"
    Them a little further down the trail (but within earshot) talking to group of uphill riders: " Uh, there's a bunch of hikers up there with shovels. We dunno what they're doing but watch out for them".
    Man, I just love talking to morons!
    Then to top it off, we get back down to the trail head and these asshats have their obnoxious music at an obnoxious volume while they sit around smoking cigarettes and drinking crappy beer. Gotta love the fact that some shitforbrains will be piloting his 10" lifted Excursion up Ortega Hwy with a few beers under in his gut.
    Think this is only once in a while? Nope, you will find similar types out there just about every weekend! And of course, they all show up when we post a trail work day

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

Now, concerning Aliso Woods/ LCWP: for those that think freeriding the illegal trails is a blast, especially in large groups on weekends, I just want to thank you in advance for getting trails shut down to all of us when the local land managers have had enough.
    You guys are real men of genius!

Seriously folks, there is a real lack of etiquette and just plain common sense on the trails. I just keep trying to remind our brethren to use the big head...
    If ya gotta good tool, build a shed over it

"The most blatant lies are told just after a fishing trip, during a war, and just before an election"

mtbr member

Bobble

Hey man don't hold back, go ahead and say what's on your mind. Just kidding dude. I am with ya all the way. I recall a post recently where a shuttler said that if hikers don't have the sense to get out of the way, they deserve what ever happens. It's that kind of attitude that will help keep the trails closed. One thing I have learned about trail advocacy is that you spend half your time fighting other user groups who want you off their trails and the other fighting with other bikers who are ignorant to the reality of the sport.
    I'm not saying downhilling is bad. I just don't think multi-use trails are the place to do it. Mr. and Mrs. Birdwatcher and the Boy Scouts have just as much right to use multiuse trails as we do and they deserve to feel safe while doing it. It's unfortunate there is not an appropriate place for the sport nearby but that's no excuse trash our trails and put others in danger.

BTW - If these 53 year old legs can push a SS up to Cocktail Rock, there are no excuses for anyone except pure laziness.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the oh so true version of shuttlers/downhillers. I think their options for their kind of riding is small so multi use trails get ruined by them as well as John Q Public's opinion of mtbers. Believe me the evidence of the knuckledragging skidiots abounds on the trails here also.Great comment don't worry about pissing off a group that fits that description.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast