mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Frazier Park info?

Hey, SoCal folks,

Albee from Eugene, Oregon, here. Taking a whirlwind road trip down to L.A. to visit family next week, and I'm planning on riding a couple places close to I-5 on the drive down and back up.

I haven't ridden in Frazier Park since I moved up to Oregon 13 years ago. I know it's at a decent elevation, so I'm wondering: is it snow-free? Anyone ridden there recently who might care to share some local knowledge on trail condition? And/or....can you recommend any other good riding down there within 10-15 miles of I-5? I'm not looking for anything epic, just 10-20 miles to get the legs out of the truck for awhile.

Thanks. In exchange I'll be glad to show you the goods in my neck of the woods if you ever make it up here to paradise

members only
    I'm sure the trails up there are snow covered.
    You might be able to ride the lower one (McGill) now, but I haven't been up there for months.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

I think you're right

Quote Originally Posted by ET_SoCal
    I'm sure the trails up there are snow covered.
    You might be able to ride the lower one (McGill) now, but I haven't been up there for months.
    I took a look at the Frazier Park webcam last night. The town of Frazier Park is clear, but Mt. Pinos in the distance looks snow-covered. D@mn! Oh, well, maybe I'll ride a little closer to town (my mom lives in Woodland Hills).

Is there still worthy singletrack from Olive View Hospital? If that's not happening, I could ride in the Rocky Peak/Chumash/Hummingbird area. When I figures it out, I'll post to see if anyone wants to join. Otherwise, solo's cool too. I swing both ways...in that sense.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Albee
    Hey, SoCal folks,

Albee from Eugene, Oregon, here. Taking a whirlwind road trip down to L.A. to visit family next week, and I'm planning on riding a couple places close to I-5 on the drive down and back up.

I haven't ridden in Frazier Park since I moved up to Oregon 13 years ago. I know it's at a decent elevation, so I'm wondering: is it snow-free? Anyone ridden there recently who might care to share some local knowledge on trail condition? And/or....can you recommend any other good riding down there within 10-15 miles of I-5? I'm not looking for anything epic, just 10-20 miles to get the legs out of the truck for awhile.

Thanks. In exchange I'll be glad to show you the goods in my neck of the woods if you ever make it up here to paradise
    I tempted to try Frazier myself but I know from past experience that the shady areas will have snow and if not snow then mud.

On the other side of the I-5 is Golden Eagle trail, Scottay posted a really good video last year.

http://www.socalmtb.com/socal/trails...ail_-_lieb.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Albee
    Hey, SoCal folks,

Golden Eagle would be a good choice. I rode it back in February. Trail conditions then were the best I've ever seen. There was one fallen tree on the lowermost section of singletrack. Except for that, the rest of the trail was clear from top to bottom. I combined portions of the singletrack with the fireroad on the climb up, which worked out nicely. Out-and-back on the singletrack is also a good way to go, but it's shorter and offers fewer views.

Directions:

From I-5 southbound, exit at CA-138 East toward Lancaster/Palmdale. Continue for approximately 4.5 miles on CA-138 and turn right onto Ridge Route Road. Park at the Sandberg ruins, which is 2.5 miles up the Ridge Route, on the right, just past the intersection with Pine Canyon Road.

I recommend the following route:

From Sandberg, follow the Ridge Route 2.9 miles and turn left onto the fireroad (7N23). Start climbing, and stay left at the first split. At 7.4 miles, Golden Eagle crosses the fireroad (easy to spot). Go right onto the singletrack and climb until it tees into a double-track at 9.4 miles. Go left onto the double-track and immediately left again onto a short connector trail that will tee into the main fireroad at 9.6 miles. Go right onto the fireroad and continue climbing. At 10.6 miles, Golden Eagle crosses the fireroad again. Go left onto the singletrack and you'll reach the top at 11.4 miles (fenceline and PCT). Turn around and stay on Golden Eagle all the way back down.

As I mentioned above, there may still be a fallen tree on the lowermost section of Golden Eagle. It comes up on you fast, so look out for it.

Not far after the fallen tree, there is a trail junction that I don't remember from years past. You'll see a lesser trail dropping steeply off to the right. Just stay to the left on the main trail, which seems like the obvious way to go.

At the very bottom of the trail, there used to be a steep drop to the Ridge Route. This has been re-routed. The trail now runs into a jeep trail with an easy runout to the Ridge Route. Turn right and you're back to your vehicle in less than a minute.

Total distance: 18.7 miles
    Total elevation gain: 2260 feet
    High Point: 5495 feet

mtbr member
    Thank you SO MUCH for taking odometer notes and posting these excellent Golden Eagle directions! When we were there we got flummoxed about the start of the ST, which criss-crosses SN23 up top (a layer of snow added to the mystery). I can't wait to go back & score the entire trail-- it's a blast! ~Di

Quote Originally Posted by JimN
    Golden Eagle would be a good choice. I rode it back in February. Trail conditions then were the best I've ever seen. There was one fallen tree on the lowermost section of singletrack. Except for that, the rest of the trail was clear from top to bottom. I combined portions of the singletrack with the fireroad on the climb up, which worked out nicely. Out-and-back on the singletrack is also a good way to go, but it's shorter and offers fewer views.

Directions:

From I-5 southbound, exit at CA-138 East toward Lancaster/Palmdale. Continue for approximately 4.5 miles on CA-138 and turn right onto Ridge Route Road. Park at the Sandberg ruins, which is 2.5 miles up the Ridge Route, on the right, just past the intersection with Pine Canyon Road.

I recommend the following route:

From Sandberg, follow the Ridge Route 2.9 miles and turn left onto the fireroad (7N23). Start climbing, and stay left at the first split. At 7.4 miles, Golden Eagle crosses the fireroad (easy to spot). Go right onto the singletrack and climb until it tees into a double-track at 9.4 miles. Go left onto the double-track and immediately left again onto a short connector trail that will tee into the main fireroad at 9.6 miles. Go right onto the fireroad and continue climbing. At 10.6 miles, Golden Eagle crosses the fireroad again. Go left onto the singletrack and you'll reach the top at 11.4 miles (fenceline and PCT). Turn around and stay on Golden Eagle all the way back down.

As I mentioned above, there may still be a fallen tree on the lowermost section of Golden Eagle. It comes up on you fast, so look out for it.

Not far after the fallen tree, there is a trail junction that I don't remember from years past. You'll see a lesser trail dropping steeply off to the right. Just stay to the left on the main trail, which seems like the obvious way to go.

At the very bottom of the trail, there used to be a steep drop to the Ridge Route. This has been re-routed. The trail now runs into a jeep trail with an easy runout to the Ridge Route. Turn right and you're back to your vehicle in less than a minute.

Total distance: 18.7 miles
    Total elevation gain: 2260 feet
    High Point: 5495 feet

mtbr member
    Here's the LONG vid. Its in pretty good shape, i guess some horses lumped up the bottom section last week. Post when you're in town, we usually ride weekday mornings.

http://www.clipdin.com/index.php?ind...y_view&iden=12

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Sounds good!

Quote Originally Posted by JimN
    Golden Eagle would be a good choice. I rode it back in February. Trail conditions then were the best I've ever seen.
    Thank you! I think I rode there about 1989 or so, when I was first getting into mountain biking. My riding buddy knew the route, so I didn't have to think about it -- just followed him.

I'd love to say I'll be there at X time and set up a ride, but I have no idea when I'll be passing through the area on my thousand-mile drive. I'm figuring sometime around 5:00 or so next Tuesday, May 9. If anyone is jonesin' to ride that afternoon, call me on the cell at 541-510-3851. Who knows....

I'll print this out and see if I can't download a map to go along with your most excellent narrative.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Anytime any of you ride this or the Mt. Pinos trails, send me a pm and I'll join you if I can. These are great trails and my local riding pals have mainly moved on to other things; like roadie riding! scottay's videos are all great!