Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    We're going down WHAT??

... and if we just ... Found the Tunnel Trail!!

I was riding tonight out at Los Penasquitos with some people that I met up with on the trail and we all just happened to be looking for the same thing. The elusive "Tunnel Trail". We did finaly end up finding it and it was great! Nothing like riding a downhill windy trail at night that has you riding in a tunnel of greenery. Spectacular!! This is my new route when I ride PQ. It is a tad hard to find but it is well worth the effort. The loop is a mild and tight downhill with a mile long foliage tunnel all around you and the ride up and out is gradual and not terribly steep. (Doable in middle chainring for many of you out there.) Anyhow, I an not sure if it is supposed to be more secret or if it is completely known and I am a jackazz for not knowing about it. Either way, this made a more humdrum Thursday night ride something very special.
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member

Where is it?

If it's a legal trail, please post directions, if not PM me...

If you have to ask...
    Yes, you are a jackazz, but it has nothing to do with your posting here.

Seriously, Jon, where have you been hiding?

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

TCB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    Yes, you are a jackazz,

Now there is something we can all agree on
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

mtbr member
    May 2006
    you should post your regular route, including the tunnel (if it is legal). i've been riding PQ for a while now and have been doing the same loop and wouldnt mind something new the next time i go out

TCB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xDennisLuix
    you should post your regular route, including the tunnel (if it is legal). i've been riding PQ for a while now and have been doing the same loop and wouldnt mind something new the next time i go out
    For now the land and trails are privately owned, the land is in the process of being transferred to the City of San Diego, this process will probably take about three months to be finalized, once the land becomes the property of the City, The San Diego Parks and Rec will manage the land.
    Until the land is transferred to the City, let’s try to keep the location off the message boards.

BTW, the trails will be designated Hiking and Biking only.
    Last edited by TCB; 03-17-2007 at 11:57 PM.

We're going down WHAT??

You're killin' me, Smalls!!

miles, Unfortunately due to a new JOB I have been off the bike for the better part of 6 months. I am just starting to get my cycling legs back under me. (Unfortunately, those cycling legs have to carry around all of this "table muscle" that I have acquired over those said 6 months!) I am looking to "participate" in the next 24 hr event in Idylwild. (Do they have 20 person teams?) Anyhow, I just found that Tunnel Trail last night and it was a great addition to my regular route. (I can't tell everyone where it is. Just ride around enough and you can find it if you look hard enough and are very LUCKY!!) . For the rest of you, it is a fantastic ride down with great soil underneath. You ride in a tunnel of trees that bends and swoops downhill for about 1 mile. There are several junctions along the way, though I only rode the one loop. The way up is also covered and not terribly technical. This whole section is like a Ewoks of Endor meets the Hobbit kinda ride. Very fun though I do think it should be ridden only one direction. If there it traffic in certain parts it will be tough to pass each other. anyhow, I am thining of riding it again at 8am tomorrow starting from "The Cantina". PM me if you are interested.
    Last edited by jonsocal; 03-16-2007 at 05:05 PM.
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Glad to Be Alive
    there is only one Tunnel T rail.........
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    I found the Tunnel trails and rode them today, nothing like the real Tunnel trail in Santa Barbara. Thanks to jackazz for posting it's existence , because I would never known about it, although it was not easy to find other than receiving directions from putting a 411 out to other San Diego riders. If I were a jackazz I would post some photos as well.

mtbr member
    Ok. I have ridden Tunnel in SB, and ride PQ sh!t loads and think I ran out of new terrain. Somebody PM me directions on where it is! Dammit! 7 years ago, I was unemployed (by choice, of course) and golfed, surfed and rode everyday for 7 months and thought I had exploered all of PQ. Let me know. Its the closest trail to my house.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Not A Smart Move

Well here we go again. The Internet juggernaut consumes another trail. There are so many people just word of mouth would have been sufficient. This is San Diego land of gnatcatchers and sensitive habitat after they have let the developers scrape it clean and back fill the canyons then fill their re-election coffers.But wait they forgot they brought people to live here and left them no where to recreate. Please no more mention of sweet morsels like this and the name is not Tunnel.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by taffy15
    Well here we go again. The Internet juggernaut consumes another trail. There are so many people just word of mouth would have been sufficient. This is San Diego land of gnatcatchers and sensitive habitat after they have let the developers scrape it clean and back fill the canyons then fill their re-election coffers.But wait they forgot they brought people to live here and left them no where to recreate. Please no more mention of sweet morsels like this and the name is not Tunnel.
    Amen brotta! ...oh, and can't forget the fairy shrimp!
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

just along for the ride
    Smile is no big deal one mistake you pay on many trails, just go ride and remember that trail is called Funnels, just a typo!

mtbr member

Smile

The reality of the situation is that, although migrant workers and equestrians have been cutting trails up there for years, the hateful among them will certainly use anecdotes about "new trails being cut" by "mountainbikers" as a reason to screw us all. Don't post maps, just don't.

The reality of undeveloped land in the general vicinity of PQ falls into three categories:

1) Developable land that will be bulldozed and scraped. All the Del Mar Mesa singletracks fall into this category, for example. They will be gone, as will nearly every plant and living thing you see other than those in area where you wouldn't ride a horse or bike, anyway. Ride 'em while ya gottem and don't worry about it. Do the pavement and homes built over the top of the great western DMM singletracks seem to have suffered any by pre-bulldozer trail usage?

2) Open Space that will not be developed and will become City Land. Anything other than a long-established trail or fire road will likely be slated for closure upon discovery. Ride'em while ya gottem, but don't expect anything that can't be seen in a satellite photo to get official status.

3) Open Space that will not be developed and is controlled by the Land Trust. This land won't come into Ranger jurisidiction, but can be fenced off and patrolled by SDPD if anyone ever starts to care about that land again. Trails that go into actual, or alleged, vernal pools will create a crisis for some, even if those trails are truck trails and the vernal pools were created by a Jeep in '92. Hey, I dug out and drove home, so nip it.

Regardless, keep the photos of our 22' teeter totter the heck off the 'net.

Lord of the Chainrings
    The Official San Diego County Mountain Biker's Credo ---
    "I neither confirm or deny the existence of any trail anywhere within the boundries of San Diego County".
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Jett
    -Hey Fellow MTBrs! I heard someone on this MTBR forum found the exit to the "Secret Bush Ride". Please keep the location quiet until the Private Land Owner transfers the Property to the City of San Diego. Hopefully this transfer will take place this year and then safe trails can be established for everyone. Because once some Newbie Yahoo gets hurt and sues the property owner "Game Over".
    -The current problem that concerns the property owner is that someone is over cutting "Hacking-Up" the oaks and the natural canopy is starting to THIN out. If you ride the Bush, please do not break off, cut or saw off anymore tree limbs or branches. The future is in your hands.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Cutting Branches

You are absolutely correct no one should be cutting the limbs of those dwarf oaks. First all they are supposed to be a unique variety found in only a few spots. Second they provide a very twisty turny singletrack ride. At times you are are like Gumby getting through and you have to pay attention. Guess what you can't go all out all the time because the trail is so intimate with the trees. So we all need to keep an eye out for some knot head who might be trying to change the trail to suit his needs. The place has been a relief in pitiful backward nonprogressive San Diego. So lets not screw it up. By the way I met the owner and he was glad we were there really enjoying the land so we are getting a huge head start on things. Cutting more from the trees is needless.

Jett
    "Taffy15" I totally agree with ya! Like you said, some "Knot Head" is trying change the trails to fit his/her needs! I have noticed most of all the tight turns, narrow sections, threading between the trees and ducking all the low hanging branches have been eliminated or trimmed way back. The small oak trees growing on the trails have been hacked off and thrown in a pile on the side of the trails thinning out the canopy. All the native green, orange and yellow moss that grows on the oaks in the shade are starting to dry up, so the eco system is also taking a hit. I have lived here in PQ since 1976 and this is the last of the unique and natural places to ride in PQ. Ya, I hear the Land owner and his son are also mountain bikers! Also be careful and watch out for two of the bridges on Bush Trail #2, they are starting to fall apart. Scary liability! Peace Out Brothers!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by 5150MTB
    ...... Also be careful and watch out for two of the bridges on Bush Trail #2, they are starting to fall apart. Scary liability! Peace Out Brothers!
    Those bridges and ladders are a joke. The skill is not riding on them but trying not to break them or tip them over.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Gettihg A Handle

We need to get a handle on this asap. I am going to try and get the right people involved with this starting with the next SDMBA meeting. I think one of the SDMBA officers is already going to get it started. He rode there a while back and just rode there lately and noticed the cutting going on. I ran into the kids who put in the stunts. They carried stuff in on their bikes that is why it is all so flimsy and already falling apart. They said they had just started to ride Flightline and were trying to emulate what they liked. Difference was Flightline was like a bricksh t house and they were using popsicle sticks. I think they need to have their little hearts broken and that stuff taken down before the officials do it for us. It will be bad enough some one is cutting trees so they can go faster or don't hit their little heads. It is mtn biking you moron!!!!! Once again the need to create trails appealing to the various biking disiplines is apparent. Look at the most recent trails they made in Moab, recent issue, and go on the web and see what they are doing in Canada. Look at what a destination Fruita has become. With proper management people can use these resources maintain the environment and generate money for the region. Here we are met with monumental obstacles and a can't do mentality. The population here has grown at a huge pace with the encouragement of our governments, city, county and state. We need to pressure them to build more trails as well as sewers schools roads and malls. Anyone go to the city council meeting for Flightline? Anyone contact a land manager to do trail work or get on a trail work party. They have those in Vancouver and 300 people showed up.The next trail work party for La Costa Preserve is the 19th of May. Contact CNLM. Or look on the SDMBA site for a trail work party. We desparately need a place like TW. What is it going to take to wake up the local officials. Taking things underground is just to temporary. Just as skateboarding did we have to do. It is time to come out of the closet in SAN Diego. Mountain Biking is Not a Crime

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Tunnels

It is a sweeet sweet trail. We go there every tuesday pretty much. Though it was a big secret when we got there a couple of weeks ago there was plenty traffic.

My friend did a whole gps map of all the routes in that area. I'm hesitant to post haha. But I agree about that A bridge.

Totally do able though when we went down it was already gone on tuesday but you can totally roll it. Caught some of our group riders by surprise. The last bridge also looks sketchy but its actually pretty solid.

I'd advise the non bridge route. it feels a lot longer and flows better.

TCB
    mtbr member

Tunnel trails in jeopardy of being closed

FYI, the word just came down from PQ and the Black Mountain CAC, Deer Canyon/Tunnel trails could possibly be closed because of the damage caused by cyclist and the thinning of the canopy, as mentioned by taffy15 the dwarf oak is a vary rare species of tree and requires just the right conditions to survive, the canopy also provides cover for a variety of other rare plants. We need to start self regulating our use of the canyon now, SDMBA will start posting flyers at the trailheads asking cyclist to respect the land and to stop cutting the canopy, stop cutting new trails, avoid skidding downhill and around corners.
    Please spread the word that we are in jeopardy of loosing one of the best trails in San Diego.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Greg
    greg@sdmba.com
    SDMBA Board member
    www.sdmba.com

Northern Aggressor
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TCB
    FYI, the word just came down from PQ and the Black Mountain CAC, Deer Canyon/Tunnel trails could possibly be closed because of the damage caused by cyclist and the thinning of the canopy,
    So, the "secret" tunnel trail, and the Deer Canyon trail are one and the same?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It doesn't help that there are the Bonita folks bringing like 30 heads into that trail. Ridiculous. This should not be a big organized group ride type trail.

somewhere in socal

will post better vid soon

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast