My dogs are killin me

Fontana XC race...11/20

Well it was my first bike race ever. I'd been riding local trails to try to get in better shape. I ended up not being able to swap out any of my bike parts(earlier posting) to lighten it up so I arrived early Sunday morning with my 39.5 pound Mountain Cycle Rumble with platform pedals.

I was in Beginner men's 20-26 class. 8 racers in my class and my goal was to not be last. Also this was windy and VERY dry day out there. I'm looking around while waiting for the race to start and it looks like everyone else has an XC specific bike. Great.

So the signal goes and i'm starting of in the rear and up the first switchback 3 guys in front of my drop their bikes and I end up having to do the same. I'm thinking...last place here I come. I'm then neck and neck with the 7th place guy going up the first of the three climbs. Then comes the 2nd climb and I pass two guys walking their bikes but then they catch me on the flat sections. I'm thinking "damn this heavy beast!". I'm coming up the last 1/2 mile and racing to get in front of one of the guys I caught up to but from then on it was pretty much singletrack to the end.

I ended up getting 5th out of 8 riders and was 3 seconds out of 4th place. Arggghhh!! I was frustrated but then felt really motivated to get a lighter bike and to train harder. My buddy ended up getting 2nd on a Cannondale Jekyll. Racing is awesome. It really pushes you and I never realize the Fontana XC course was so much fun.

Of note, I thought there were some really cool and challenging sections like the all mushy sandy downhill with the right turn at the bottom. There was also lots of up and down, twisty turny singletrack. I never realized Fontana had such a great trail.

Well...I'm done ranting. Anyone else race here? How did your race go? What bike did you race?

Here's my XC beast. Some guy at a booth I talked to told me I should have raced DH on it, haha. No thanks. I choose life.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Congrats on your first race! But please lighten up your bike ASAP for your next race. You're racing against guys that are riding bikes at least 10 pounds lighter than yours! Actually, maybe 15 pounds.

My dogs are killin me
    I know haha. Thanks. Ya, I noticed that when I was checking out everyone else's bikes. Somehow I think that I could have done a little better with a lighter bike. My new rims and fork are on their way!

----woof----

congratulations on your first race

Yeah it was really dry and hot out there and the course was pretty challenging for me. I raced in the single speed class and I regretably ended up pulling out after the first lap. It was a nice course with a lot of variety, just more than I was capable of that day. I think the first lap was supposed to be 7 miles, but it felt a lot longer than that to me. There was some talk about confusion over the course not be marked correctly or race workers directing riders the wrong way. Anyone else hear about that? I think if I rode a bike with at least a suspension fork I may not have felt so beatup and would have finished (eventually)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yep, it was a little confusing. After the first big climb(s) you went down the singletrack with the sandy downhill and into a concrete wash type thing. At the end of that wash their was a lady telling us to turn right and then 50 feet later at the dirt road to the next climb was a guy telling us to turn left. He was pounding the sign in the ground when we got there. I figured thay changed the course so I followed the others in the direction the guy was pointing. So, then comes lap two and I pour my guts out on the big hill again thinking that will be the last climb. Of course by that time they figured out we are supposed to be going up the other two climbs and point us up the road for the second lap. In the end it wouldn't have changed my finish any but it sure hurt doing the next two climbs. They did alright by spliting the class into a short loop and long loop. I wound up 5th in the short loop. I went over to see what the single speed club was all about and got second in class (39 under) there. Those guys and girls with the socal single speed championship are a great bunch and a lot of fun to hang with. They also had a great raffle too. 1FG, what gearing were you running? Those hills were not single speed friendly.

Todd

My dogs are killin me
    1FG...I would have dropped out of the singlespeed race if it was on the XC course too!! I think I saw you rolling by in the parking lot. My buddy asked me "is that guy riding on a beach cruiser?" Like your bike, but you are hardcore man, no suspension on that trail would rattle some fillings out. I was thinking they must have had a route with less climbing your the SSers.

I heard about the group of 10 riders or so that were directed the wrong way. That really sucks. That's a lot of planning for the one race then you get sent the wrong way. They did a good job picking up the slack and splitting the awards though.

Alright another fifth placer!

----woof----

32x20

Quote Originally Posted by ToddW
    Yep, it was a little confusing. After the first big climb(s) you went down the singletrack with the sandy downhill and into a concrete wash type thing. At the end of that wash their was a lady telling us to turn right and then 50 feet later at the dirt road to the next climb was a guy telling us to turn left. He was pounding the sign in the ground when we got there. I figured thay changed the course so I followed the others in the direction the guy was pointing. So, then comes lap two and I pour my guts out on the big hill again thinking that will be the last climb. Of course by that time they figured out we are supposed to be going up the other two climbs and point us up the road for the second lap. In the end it wouldn't have changed my finish any but it sure hurt doing the next two climbs. They did alright by spliting the class into a short loop and long loop. I wound up 5th in the short loop. I went over to see what the single speed club was all about and got second in class (39 under) there. Those guys and girls with the socal single speed championship are a great bunch and a lot of fun to hang with. They also had a great raffle too. 1FG, what gearing were you running? Those hills were not single speed friendly.

Todd
    I run a 32x20 on my cruiser. Climbs weren't too bad with this gear but my rear wheel would spin out on the steeper, looser sections. What really did me in though was some of the technical downhill areas and the sandy sections. If I make some changes to my bike, like carbonfiber bars to absorb some of the bumps and somehow fabricate a stronger seatpost (mine was slowly bending backwards), I'll be back next time around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I do remember seeing that cruiser. that thing is sweet. The chainstays might be a little long for some of those climbs causing the wheel spin. Your bike struck up an idea I herd about riding a BMX bike in the single speed class, nuts. I run 34-19 and had no problem with wheel spin but buy my legs sure took a beating. I couldn't believe the pace those guys went out at. I though these guys are nuts but I did my best to hang on the back of them. At one time I counted 12 single speeders in front of me. That's a tough bunch. The girls were quick too.