mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Fontana/Southridge Trail Access?

I wantz ryde heer:

Video: Fontana Winter Series 2015

I know they do paid-for skills camp's here, but what about every day access to this trail?

More specifically:

1.) Is the trail in that video accessible by the public? Or is this a race-only course on private land?

2.) Along the lines of question number one, why doesn't this trail show up on any of the trail map apps? Is it because it is indeed private land? I found the Southridge XC Trail on a couple different trail map apps, but none of this technical downhill stuff I'm seeing in the videos.

3.) If this trail IS accessible by the public, how does one do so? Is it a fire road/access road kind of thing?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It is basically a park. You can drive in and ride, unless there is an event going on. Here is more info and directions: Southridge XC Mountain Bike Trail, Glen Avon, CA

The DH is across the street (longview dr) from the super-D track (blue paint). I think XC track is white paint. Go up road to water tower (white circle on map), go right, and there should be a lot of trail wear from the recent DH races. There are lots of used lines everywhere so it is confusing.
    Last edited by alex345; 02-09-2015 at 04:37 PM. Reason: more info

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alex345 View Post
    It is basically a park. You can drive in and ride, unless there is an event going on. Here is more info and directions: Southridge XC Mountain Bike Trail, Glen Avon, CA

The DH is across the street (longview dr) from the super-D track (blue paint). I think XC track is white paint. Go up road to water tower (white circle on map), go right, and there should be a lot of trail wear from the recent DH races. There are lots of used lines everywhere so it is confusing.
    Having moved to the Los Angeles area about eight months ago, I've been riding for a relatively short time here. During that short time I've heard about the more popular rides (El Prieto, Chumash, Noble Canyon) but I find it strange to not have really heard anyone speak about Southridge when I ask about what's around the area.

From the few videos I've seen it looks like there's some really challenging technical features that were intentionally taken advantage of. I don't know, from what I've seen it seems like it would be a really popular trail, but it sounds like it's not?

It seems like everything I've read or watched is race related, or am I misreading this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yes it does have nice rocks and fun technical lines. But it is a small rocky hill in between a bunch of housing developments. It is not a scenic place to go for a ride; there is graffiti, broken glass, ..etc. It also has a pump track and a bike trials area. If I lived nearby I'd go there often. It is worth going there to check it out and explore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alex345 View Post
    Yes it does have nice rocks and fun technical lines. But it is a small rocky hill in between a bunch of housing developments. It is not a scenic place to go for a ride; there is graffiti, broken glass, ..etc. It also has a pump track and a bike trials area. If I lived nearby I'd go there often. It is worth going there to check it out and explore.
    I hear what you're saying, it doesn't really feel like you're "out there" when you're out there?

How much peddling would you say there is involved in getting to the top to explore some of the downhill trails?

Also, from what I've seen on YouTube it seems like the XC trail there is also somewhat more technical than your typical XC offering. Would you say this is accurate?

mischeivous mongrel
    If you are looking for chunk and loads of tech, go East to a place called Arizona. You'll get all you can handle over there. Torn side walls, bottomed out suspension, scratches & gouges from crashing or grinding against the gnar-gnar, blood, broken bones,...and the list goes on.

There is limited riding like that in So Cal. Here, it's more flowing, rolling, smooth ST with the occasional obstacle section thrown in. It is what it is.
    Now taking orders for new born baby Gorns.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    If you are looking for chunk and loads of tech, go East to a place called Arizona. You'll get all you can handle over there. Torn side walls, bottomed out suspension, scratches & gouges from crashing or grinding against the gnar-gnar, blood, broken bones,...and the list goes on.

There is limited riding like that in So Cal. Here, it's more flowing, rolling, smooth ST with the occasional obstacle section thrown in. It is what it is.
    Hawg! You changed your avatar you sneaky guy!

You know me, I'm looking for that East Coast tech fix! I need rocks, rocks, and more rocks. Rollers! Drops! The bigger the better!

I absolutely intend on riding in Arizona and Utah once I get the chance to do some traveling. Until then, I gotta keep my tech feature skills sharp. Or I will get my ass handed to me when I run into similar stuff in Arizona/Utah.

I'm sure I'll get my ass handed to me anyways, but the less self-induced ass handing I can manage, the better!

mischeivous mongrel
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Slater View Post
    Hawg! You changed your avatar you sneaky guy!

You know me, I'm looking for that East Coast tech fix! I need rocks, rocks, and more rocks. Rollers! Drops! The bigger the better!

I absolutely intend on riding in Arizona and Utah once I get the chance to do some traveling. Until then, I gotta keep my tech feature skills sharp. Or I will get my ass handed to me when I run into similar stuff in Arizona/Utah.
    My friend, you can do weekenders out to Phoenix. I do a few every year. It's "just" 400 miles away. You've got to do South Mountain. I have a friend there who can show you around. It's as insane as you'd ever want it to be and incredibly scenic.

mischeivous mongrel
    However, you can find what you need on the Hummingbird trail right here in Los Angeles. It's accessed via Rocky Peak in the Santa Suzanna Mountains nestled between the San Fernando and Simi Valleys. If you haven't done this one yet, drop everything and head straight there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Santa Barbara has some nice chunk. Romero (boring fireroad climb, skip upper Romero, it is not worth it): Romero Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Carpinteria, CA

and Jesusita (out and back): Jesusita Out and Back Mountain Bike Trail, Santa Barbara, CA

I assume you've been done hummingbird as well: Hummingbird Mountain Bike Trail, Chatsworth, CA
    There are two optional large (over 6 foot including transitions) drops, which both have optional roller lines.

My opinion is that Mt Hillyer (rocky fun):
    Hillyer Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Altadena, CA

and the Silver moc between Christian camp to horse flats and horse flats to Chialo (same region on mtbproject) are the best singletrack descents in the San Gabes, however short they are. Sunset is looking good as well after January's MWBA work day, much improved in the lower section.

mtbr member

There are plenty of trails around that would have you putting your tail between your legs... but given your S.CA sucks type posts, you might not find many people willing to help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I hear what you're saying, it doesn't really feel like you're "out there" when you're out there?

How much peddling would you say there is involved in getting to the top to explore some of the downhill trails?

Also, from what I've seen on YouTube it seems like the XC trail there is also somewhat more technical than your typical XC offering. Would you say this is accurate?
    I live somewhat close to Fontana. I have been there more than once and watched the pro Downhill up close and personal. I have also ridden my XC bike on the entire XC course. As you mentioned, the XC course there is known to be technical for an XC course. I ride Bonelli XC as well as Vail Lake, and Fontana is way more technical for me.

As for the Downhill, one can easily ride up a paved road to get to the Water Tower where much of the Downhill course begins. It is very accessible. You wonder why it's not crowded; I would agree as others mentioned it's not too scenic there. Secondly, the Pro Downhill course is brutal. I'm not a downhill guy, but I have a pretty good read on this track having watched a lot of Downhill racing there, and it's not something you see crowds of people attempt at speed. There is an "A" line and a "B" line. Neither one is easy.

There is a great Super D line there too, which is also technical. I say if you are that good and enjoy technical riding, check it out. I would wear all the gear you have. BTW, let me know when you plan to go out there. I'd like to watch you ride the Downhill track there. Enjoy!
    Last edited by trmn8er; 02-10-2015 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    You can ride out there any time but I personally think the neighborhood is a bit sketchy. Park across the street in the shopping center and ride over & up. You can find trails coming down in all directions for any skill level.
    I did a little night ride by myself and wasn't too fond of that
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    I live somewhat close to Fontana. I have been there more than once and watched the pro Downhill up close and personal. I have also ridden my XC bike on the entire XC course. As you mentioned, the XC course there is known to be technical for an XC course. I ride Bonelli XC as well as Vail Lake, and Fontana is way more technical for me.

As for the Downhill, one can easily ride up a paved road to get to the Water Tower where much of the Downhill course begins. It is very accessible. You wonder why it's not crowded; I would agree as others mentioned it's not too scenic there. Secondly, the Pro Downhill course is brutal. I'm not a downhill guy, but I have a pretty good read on this track having watched a lot of Downhill racing there, and it's not something you see crowds of people attempt at speed. There is an "A" line and a "B" line. Neither one is easy.

There is a great Super D line there too, which is also technical. I say if you are that good and enjoy technical riding, check it out. I would wear all the gear you have. BTW, let me know when you plan to go out there. I'd like to watch you ride the Downhill track there. Enjoy!
    Hey, I never said I could ride it at speed! I've seen videos of full runs and they are no joke. But it absolutely resembles more variety than most of the other trails around here. It looks a lot like a North East downhill track. Which is what I'm accustomed to and am happy to see this option exists.

I may make it out there some day, but by no means am I gonna invite you to watch me eat sh*t my first time on a new black diamond trail. 😜

mischeivous mongrel
    MS, it's a long drive all the way out to Fontucky (even though I have no idea where you live, lol). Ride Hummingbird and other unmarked neighboring trails in that area to keep you closer to home. You'll be challenged plenty there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey, I never said I could ride it at speed! I've seen videos of full runs and they are no joke. But it absolutely resembles more variety than most of the other trails around here. It looks a lot like a North East downhill track. Which is what I'm accustomed to and am happy to see this option exists.

I may make it out there some day, but by no means am I gonna invite you to watch me eat sh*t my first time on a new black diamond trail. 😜
    Good for you. You should check it out some time. As others have mentioned, there is lots of chunk to be had here in So-Cal, you just need to know where to go. Another fun one is San Juan Trail in Orange County. Nothing like Fontana (nor have I seen anything else in So-Cal like Fontana) but fairly technical and a shit-ton of fun where you can get your fill of downhill (and uphill) depending on if you shuttle it or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I guess if you compare Southridge to Irvine folks may say that the neighborhood is sketchy ....however I've never had issues over there either with my car or with the locals and I've been riding those hills for about 10 years now.

I live in Jurupa which is just on the other side of the hill....the main reason Southridge is not popular is because during non-racing days the access gate to the top of the hill is locked.

So if you want to get in a run, you need to push your bike all the way to the water-towers since you can't drive a vehicle up there to get multiple runs. It gets really hot out here, so getting up there with a big DH bike, helmet, pads, etc. is no joke...I can get up the hill with an XC bike and it takes everything I got to do it just once.

Although one time I saw some guys shuttling the hill using a moped which I assume they were able to lift over the gate. The guys took turns riding the moped and towing their buddy up the hill....they rode the trails all day that way.

Lastly, as far as the DH runs go there are literally dozens of lines and honestly without the tape and race markers that they set-up for the Winter Series it would be a little hard to discern a nice flowy line up on the upper part of the hill where most of the chunk is located. The lines and trails on the lower part are more obvious however.