Thread: Flightline?

mtbr member

Flightline?

Just curious whats been happening with flightline lately, the last i heard it was about to be demolished, any word on what has happened since?

mtbr member
    Yup yup yup, Carlsbad yuppies got the urban funk rolling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtdbike; 02-26-2005 at 11:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Gianni

Currently attending Cal Poly SLO to become an Industrial Engineer.
    Hometown: North San Diego (summertime)

Glad to Be Alive
    can't ride trails there but they can tear it up and put houses on it....not cool
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    are there any trails left? Is there still that fun little section at the beginning w/ the bridge?

used to be uno-speedo....
    Ouch.

sLigHtLy lEft oF CEntEr

Another one bites the dust

Funny thing is that some poeple call this progress.

The city of Carlsbad wont be happy until every inch of land within it's boarders is covered by concrete or asphalt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RuNDmC1087
    are there any trails left? Is there still that fun little section at the beginning w/ the bridge?

About half gone and half left, depending if you are a optimist or a pessimist or a realist.

What beginning section with the bridge? You mean the bridges trail that is gone or long bridge near the rip trail which has been long gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I think he means the ladder that crosses the stream on the approach from the west (from El Camino Real) down the hill just north of Palomar Airport Road. Is that gone?? I tried to make it last Saturday, but got about 50 yards down the hill before my bike was turned into a mass of clay. Maybe it will be nicer in about 6 months when everything dries out. RC

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Rode there over lunch on Tuesday . . . the bridge across the creek is gone, but there are some rocks/bricks to get across..

The trails are a lot of fun now (what is left). lots of ruts, muddy sections, new lines, etc. We are going to keep riding there until we get kicked out . . .

From what we hear, they won't start development north of the new road for a year or two, so the trails will stick around for a while. Getting to them through the construction will be the challenge . . .

high plains drifter

progress

yeah we need to get that area filled with houses quick I think I saw 5 feet of empty space on the I-5 the other day we need to fill that hole too.

Lord of the Chainrings

Upset RIP Flightline???

Between the recent rains and the demolition of flightline, we've been forced to ride road. Even on the road rides, Carlsbad is constantly tearing the place up...

However....we need a our "trail builders" to install a trail to "drop in" behind the Safety Center parking lot next to the skate park. It would connect between the former fireroad entrance and the creek crossing. We started one, but we need it to veer northward on the decent then drop in.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    However....we need a our "trail builders" to install a trail to "drop in" behind the Safety Center parking lot next to the skate park. It would connect between the former fireroad entrance and the creek crossing. We started one, but we need it to veer northward on the decent then drop in.
    I ride with a group that has been going 3-4 times a week over lunch for the last few years . . . A couple of my buds have cut a number of the trails at flightline. We scoped out a trail just north of the place they are clearing for the road next to the skate park... but it is steep.... Is that the place you are working a line down?

mtbr member
    There use to be a steep migrant trail drop in that west end area but now is torn up. A steep dropin trail to the creek crossing would be cool. Just after the creek crossing asscending upward before Rip trail is pretty messed up and can only be hike a bike.
    Most of North Flightline(T8, T9, Fenceline) is in good shape. Top section of the creekbed trail is okay with the small berms, the lower half with the cool spine section was bulldozed, and the creekbed section in the middle below the manzanita tunnel chute is really rutted out bad from the heavy rains.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainMak
    I ride with a group that has been going 3-4 times a week over lunch for the last few years . . . A couple of my buds have cut a number of the trails at flightline. We scoped out a trail just north of the place they are clearing for the road next to the skate park... but it is steep.... Is that the place you are working a line down?
    Ya, that's it. We need to install a traverse trail about 100 ft into it towards the northwest and the "clearing" there. Then drop in on the trail between the fireroad enterance and the creek crossing. Avoiding all the construction mess.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    Ya, that's it. We need to install a traverse trail about 100 ft into it towards the northwest and the "clearing" there. Then drop in on the trail between the fireroad enterance and the creek crossing. Avoiding all the construction mess.

Great, go for it. What about the creek crossing, a new solid bridge would be good and see if it can stand sturdy for more than one year, not like the rest. Need to recut the washout section above, so one does not to hike a bike through the section. I usely only work on the east and north sections, being closer to my place