mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Five Deer (Sierra Pelona) Status - MIA

9Sunday afternoon (5/25) I decided to drive up Bouquet Canyon and ride Five Deer. I should have done a little homework in advance, as the fireroad turnoff was blocked and the entire area is still closed due to last year's fire. Hmmm, what to do now?

I turned around as I saw a couple FS vehicles at a turnoff a 1/4 before the Five Deer turnoff. Two Forest Service guys were repairing a fence that had been torn down to allow illegal access to the dirt bike boys. I drove up and asked a simple question, "When is this area going to open up." "One and a half to two years", they say. "Seriously?" "Seriously."

They went on to explain that they have to constantly reseed as 4x4 or motos go up and tear into the areas they are trying to establish some growth on.

So, I decided to ride in the area anyways. I drove up the canyon a bit more and turned on to Spunky Canyon Road. There is a turnoff just as you reach the summit to descend into Green Valley. Oh well, fireroads here I come. I took 6N09 up to 6N04 (Leona Divide fire road) and rode that a ways in both directions. Great views, but as to be expected it was a bit cold and windy. Not an epic ride by any stretch of the imagination, but it was virgin ground for me (always a plus).

The motos have really done a number to many of the ridgelines along the fire roads. Unbelievable! I'm sure the closure of Rowher Flats has only made the problem worse. Those guys must carry wire cutters with them. Some of the areas have been fenced off two or three times only to be torn down yet again.

Rant off...

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Move north a bit to the Lake Hughes area and Sawmill mtn. Plenty of riding there.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Mtroy,

I rode Golden Eagle the day before. Great conditions with the rain the previous days. By the way, the brush wasn't bad at all either.

Other than the fire roads in the Sawmill Mtn. area, are there other trails I don't know about? PCT is a no-no, for obvious reasons.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lmnop
    Mtroy,

I rode Golden Eagle the day before. Great conditions with the rain the previous days. By the way, the brush wasn't bad at all either.

Other than the fire roads in the Sawmill Mtn. area, are there other trails I don't know about? PCT is a no-no, for obvious reasons.
    Not that I am aware of. There are some odds and ends like the trail down from the road split at Sawmill/Burnt Peak and the trail to Upper Shake and Lower Shake. I have no idea what kind of condition those are in. The trail below Burnt Peak falls under the category of I-am-way-lost-if-I-screw-up as it places you way down in a canyon with a stiff hike/push up to Atmore Meadows or a doubtful path out to Cienega CG/Fish Cyn.

The little connector to Upper/Lower Shake used to be a fun option to get down to Pine Cyn Rd but I have not ridden it in a long time.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I've looked at that trail trail from Burnt Peak on the topo maps and wondered about it. It looks okay on paper, but thanks for the info on it. Might have to hike it one of these days.

Mtroy, I think I've met you once or twice before. I'm the guy riding the red Fisher Paragon 29er.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by lmnop
    I've looked at that trail trail from Burnt Peak on the topo maps and wondered about it. It looks okay on paper, but thanks for the info on it. Might have to hike it one of these days.

Mtroy, I think I've met you once or twice before. I'm the guy riding the red Fisher Paragon 29er.
    HEY, I know you! Yes, we have met

The trail when I rode it and passed through to Atmore was in good shape, but that was years ago. I did it for the book research, but there is too much hike-a-bike for me these days.

To Cienega? No idea.

I wonder if someone brushed out Golden Eagle? I rode it when there was till snow up there and the growth was amazing over last fall. In some places it was unrideable for short sections.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeah, Golden Eagle was definitely brushed back a little bit. I rode it a few months back and I found it the same way you did. A night and day difference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I did Golden Eagle on May 17th. The brush has grown back in several areas; mainly on the southern exposure section. There were some low branches which required several helmet hits. It was still very ridable.

I rode 5-Deer on 3-1-08. It was a mess! The brush was very thick in many places. The heavy snows had broken some of the scrub oak branches right over the trail about headset high which required several dismounts to push through. The worst place was just below the thick, big oak grove. The broken branches were too thick to push through so the motos had cut a path around the blockage for about 15 yards. I put a shout out to the Clip'd In guys, with whom I have worked on this trail before, but got no response. I guess since the area is "officially" closed, even though unaffected by the Buckweed fire, people are reluctant to work on the trail. I'm up for a trail day there. That trail is too good to lose and I've been riding it for about 16 years!

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    A trail day would be good. I seldom ride 5 Deer anymore, used to ride there all the time. I have loppers.
    Blog Ramblings

mtbr member
    What about the PCT next to 5 Deer, is that open???? ( for hiking). Where did you park?

Cindy M. said awhile back she had some kinda gas powered cutter we could use.......but if the FR is closed, cant drive it up?

scott

mtbr member
    BTW.....any info on a trail that is sposed to come down from the towers above Viper? Havent checked it out, but heard it was there....