mtbr member
    May 2009

First time mountain biking goin to bonelli park this trail ok?

New to mountain biking goin for my first ride on thanksgiving morning at bonelli park in san dimas, will be goin with my girlfriend both our first ride. i have no idea were to strat but i did find a trail map and wanted to show you guys the route and see if u guys think its ok ride for me and the gf. looking for a recrational ride meduim length ride nothing to hard but i have no idea how the trails are in bonelli. my fitness level is pretty good go to the gym 4-5 days a week doin weights and 30 mins of cardio. my gf fitness level is ok not as good as mine.

Here is a picture of the map i spray painted the path i was thinking of taking in brown but again i never been to bonelli so need some opinions and advice so to the difficulty of the path i choose? and how many miles you think it is? pretty much the path starts near the airport goes around the path and back the same way. Sorry about the picture size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wouldn't be my choice. The single track on the east of the RV park is rocky and pretty technical especially if going up. The one to the east of it is still rocky but a little easier. My girlfriend still has problems with it. The fire road by the 10 has some pretty tough climbing and is a rather ugly ride IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
    Wouldn't be my choice. The single track on the east of the RV park is rocky and pretty technical especially if going up. The one to the east of it is still rocky but a little easier. My girlfriend still has problems with it. The fire road by the 10 has some pretty tough climbing and is a rather ugly ride IMO.
    what would u suggest on the route i can take?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You might check out geoladders

http://www.geoladders.com/routes.php...eyword=bonelli

This one looks pretty good:

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=27098

I wouldn't take it all the way to Faiplex. Would go around the east side of the lake like on your map.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
    You might check out geoladders

http://www.geoladders.com/routes.php...eyword=bonelli

This one looks pretty good:

http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=27098

I wouldn't take it all the way to Faiplex. Would go around the east side of the lake like on your map.

oh very nice site thanks alot.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    one last post how does this look now? pretty much goin the same route as the one u linked me juss not goin on fairplex. i will park at the upper right hand corner and start from there. when i get to the trail do u think i should go down and around or go towards the left then back up. also any thing else u think should be changed?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Don't worry about what course to take. For your first ride park in the lot above the park off Via Verdes and ride down to the park....or park in the park itself off Via Verde (only thing it's $10 bucks)

Just start riding the trails...do some exploring until you guys decide you want to stop.
    Trying to follow a course can get frustrating because it always looks different once you are there and you spend half the time trying to figure it out. I ride there all the time and when I preride a race course there I get frustrated.

Mountain Biking is great once you get comfortable....start to get familiar with your bike and seat position, tire pressure (don't inflate too much about 32lbs), pedaling, etc. Like lifting weights you cannot lift a lot if you have bad technique. Have confidence in your bike and try going over stuff

mtbr member
    May 2009
    do the trails all go one way or u can go any way on the trail?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by alphaqforever247
    do the trails all go one way or u can go any way on the trail?

You can go any direction on the trails.

I don't know your girlfriend, but in my experience with mountain biking with them, explore on your own time. Make sure you have a fun route planned for them especially when starting out. Otherwise they can lose interest. I can't tell you how many friends got a bike for their girlfriends/wives who gave up after a ride or two.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    ^^^^^what he said!^^^^

mtbr member
    ^^^^ i agree with who he agrees ^^^^^^^^^^^