mtbr member
    May 2005

Fires are back!!

It looks like the LATIGO/CORRAL part of the backbone trail is up n smoke. Does anyone have specifics? Also, what is a good website to access for air pollution and updates on fires for socal? Is it safe to ride today with the current blaze? Where are the ashes blowing on this one?

mtbr member

AirNow is a pretty good resource...

... for air quality info and forecasts. Here's a link...

http://www.airnow.gov/index.cfm?acti...cal&CityID=130

Even from Santa Monica, the smoke looks pretty thick right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin1011
    It looks like the LATIGO/CORRAL part of the backbone trail is up n smoke. Does anyone have specifics? Also, what is a good website to access for air pollution and updates on fires for socal? Is it safe to ride today with the current blaze? Where are the ashes blowing on this one?
    I live just north of the fires. The winds were blowing the smoke out to the ocean and to the west. Tons of smoke going west over the Santa Monicas and over Oxnard. I rode this morning and could just barely smell the smoke; no ash here. So Cheeseboro should be ok tomorrow, as long as they don't close it (they didn't this morning), and probably Los Robles. At least, they'll be fine and smoke-free as long as the wind doesn't change direction.

Devo
    i just moved back to Ventura after 20yrs (previously i lived in Monterey), in the 2 months that i've been back, SoCal has been on fire. i had forgotten how that is here.
    as it seems to me...
    this stuff shows up on the doppler radar some how.
    http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?r...01111&loop=yes
    im guessing the ash attracts moisture or something.
    or the particulate matter big enough to effect radar.

when i lived in monterey, we used the doppler a bunch to get our rides in between the rain.
    here it's looking like maybe it could be used to track the smoke!

peace...d
    www.AsanaCycles.com
    "Bicycle Lifestyle, realized." D.G.