Thread: Fire in OC

Fueled by Wahoo's

Fire in OC

Another blaze...this time in OC in Santiago Canyon near the 241 toll road and Bee Canyon. This one is nowhere near what is going on in Canyon Country or Malibu...yet...but it sure hits close to home.

Went outside a little while ago and the sky was black.

Thoughts go out to those who are close to the fires and the brave firefighters trying to keep them safe.

D

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    was just sitting out on my balcony and i saw the smoke rising. Hope it doesn't torch too much of the surrounding area or else everything will feel like riding santiago oaks.

mtbr member

3 for 3

That area has burned 3 times in recent years; with so little rain falling this year there should be little to burn around Santiago Oaks so it should make a fine firebreak.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkSSter
    Another blaze...this time in OC in Santiago Canyon near the 241 toll road and Bee Canyon. This one is nowhere near what is going on in Canyon Country or Malibu...yet...but it sure hits close to home.

Went outside a little while ago and the sky was black.

Thoughts go out to those who are close to the fires and the brave firefighters trying to keep them safe.

D

ummm.....in under 3 hours it has burned almost 4,000 acres........we'll have to see how it is in the morning.

Glad to Be Alive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Wrong area

Quote Originally Posted by slowrider
    That area has burned 3 times in recent years; with so little rain falling this year there should be little to burn around Santiago Oaks so it should make a fine firebreak.
    Well it's not in the same area as the other fires so theres plenty of fuel.
    Hopefully these Santa Ana winds will end soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    well the sky's still orange out this morning and the smoke is hanging in a pretty thick haze, so I can only assume that they're still going. guess I could look at the news too.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    man i hope they can get these fires taken care of quickly. i just remember what it was like a few years ago, with the lovely post-apocalyptic orange haze and raining ash.

i also hope that some trails dont get destroyed, i havn't had a chance to ride down there yet

tiny rider
    Hope everyone down there is staying safe. I haven't lived in SoCal in a good long times, but I certainly remember how absolutely crazy the Santa Ana winds could get.

Don't wait too long to clear out.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Please god bless the people, homes, firefighters and trails. I wish a good dose of karma to whoever started this one...

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Whiting ranch

Channel 4 just showed firefighters hosing down into the entry cyn at whiting; hopefully it's just that section.
    So far the homes seem to be serviving.

No known cure
    It's a mess up here in Lake Arrowhead. The fire started this morning and over 115 houses have burned so far but because of 70+ mile an hour winds, they just now called in air support, including the DC10. What a sight. I have a fire hose rolled out but if it gets too hairy, I'm gone. Wife, kids and dogs, and bikes left a while ago, but there's looters around so it's me and my Mini 14 hangin' out.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    May 2007

Whiting Ranch

I got a feeling that much of Whiting Ranch has been burned. I was watching from a few miles away could see flames on the hilltops, and smoke coming from the valley to the west of Portola Hills.

ss poser

goodies for the firefighters?

does anyone know how i can get some baked good to the firefighters in the canyon? i know i can't get into the canyon myself, but maybe a command center where i could drop some things off? i tried calling a couple #'s i found, but can't seem to get a hold of a body. does anyone know if they even accept food gifts?

tks for the help!

tink
    can i get some pixie dust w/my gu, please?

mtbr member

From what I have heard.

The fire has reached Whiting Ranch and has already burned through 4-corners. This is coming from a friend of my mother who lives in the area.

mtbr member
    Tink your peanut butter cookies are amazeing! Thanks for supporting the local fire fighters, there awsome!
    Warrior's Society > WarriorsSociety.org
    Team Sho-Air > Team-shoair.com
    Coolest LBS > Switchbackcylery.com
    Socal Riders Unite > Socaltrailriders.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    on a lighter note, and trying to ignore the 5 (possibly growing) of my coworkers who are now displaced due to evacuations, i wonder if we can get in and build some new single track in whiting ranch after they reopen it. I love the place but could imagine a bunch of cool places where trails can be built. wishful thinking I suppose, and until then I wish the best to all of the firefighters/residents of the area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The OC Register is reporting that Whiting Ranch is being "reduced to ashes" ... I am very bummed for all affected

Just Grin and HUCK it...
    Quote Originally Posted by heavy1
    The OC Register is reporting that Whiting Ranch is being "reduced to ashes" ... I am very bummed for all affected
    I can unfortunately confirm that Whiting Ranch is pretty much burnt up (I live within 1/4 mile of the trailhead). The fire came all the way out to the Portola parking lot last night, burnt all the way up through 4 corners and was heading out towards Mojeska Canyon this morning. They are evecuating Mojeska Cyn area this morning. Hopefully they can stop it before it gets to STT/Luge area. It's a bummer for sure.

/rant on/
    Oh yeah, one more thing. If you don't live out in the area, do everyone (especially the firefighters) a favor and stay out of the area. If you want to know what's going on, watch it on the news or listen to the radio and just stay away. There were so many freaking idiots up there last night just trying to get pictures of the fire they were literally jamming up the roads and making it very difficult for emergency vehicles to get to where they needed to be.
    /rant off/
    Last edited by SilverSpot; 10-23-2007 at 06:47 AM.
    MCM# 2007.1

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I hope they don't keep Santiago Oaks and Whiting closed for months after the fires are out just because they can. I can understand maybe Whiting because of the spring creek in there that sustains all the wild life in dry times.

Santiago Oaks was keep closed for several months and when they opened it, it still looked like the fire just came through.

I am Walt
    Came over to SoCal earlier this year for a couple riding trips and hit up Whiting/Santiago/Luge, among others. Bummer to hear that about Whiting - I recall enjoying cruising up from the Portola TH in the shade of those big trees, winding in and out. Regards and thoughts to all affected...
    Ride more; post less...

Fueled by Wahoo's
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverSpot
    I can unfortunately confirm that Whiting Ranch is pretty much burnt up (I live within 1/4 mile of the trailhead). The fire came all the way out to the Portola parking lot last night, burnt all the way up through 4 corners and was heading out towards Mojeska Canyon this morning.
    I hope some of the oak trees made it through the night....can't imagine the way it would look without them.