Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fire!

mtbr member

Fire!

Ash is falling at my house in Westminster so I checked the OCFA site and found that theres a brushfire burning from the 241 toll road West towards Wier Cyn and Santiago Oaks parks!! 300acres and counting.

MolarM
    Jan 2006
    From my backyard, I can see Robbers Rock totally on fire. The top of the second B*** totally on fire. Probably the entire "Zips" and "Chutes" gone. Not good!!!
    MolarM

mtbr member

Even worse

They are evacuating nieghborhoods so as much as I like Santiago it's beyond trail damage now; especially with the Santa Ana winds blowing.

Just mob it...
    I hope that the *****es dont burn!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

The B*****s are on fire

I went up to the entrance to Irvine park a few minutes ago. Looks like the b****s and goat are burned. The lower half of chutes was still clear a few minutes ago, but the flames were coming up over the ridge..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your Imaginary Friend
    That sucks.
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    OC LASKE- Thanks for bumming me out Man!!!! I take that back, thanks for the photo. Goat and Chutes? WHEW- Say it ain't so!!! I was in HB earlier today- it looked bad from there. I never thought I would be bummed out over a trail fire. Keep us posted!

_
    Mar 2004
    we could see it burning from westridge/top of stair steps this morning at aliso. we werent too sure of where it was but we were guessing it was around the irvine lake/santiago canyon/santiago oaks area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

bummer

total bummer. Glad I hit chutes last week. Anyone know how the fire started?

mtbr member
    Not only does this suck for environmental and habitat reasons, and obviously its a blow for moutainbikers, it now means my only "local" trail network is Peter's Canyon. Yuck.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by dwyooaj
    total bummer. Glad I hit chutes last week. Anyone know how the fire started?

rain season is almost over.....fire doesn't damage the trails just the scenery
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    That sucks. I wanted to ride Oaks next weekend.

Here are my pics from a local hilltop:

http://www.fontuckysparkle.com/~Randy/pics/Fire31107

-Randy

mtbr member
    i rode there after the last fire, it was strange to ride with one hillside charred and the other side still green. lets hope there isn't any more damages to homes and property.

Just another Homer
    Like Bob said, it only hurts the views which will be back after some decent amount of rain, that doesn't look like it's going to happen this year.

Still very rideable.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    looks like we all may be doing some trail work this Spring at the Oaks, eh? Let's hope it goes not further

mtbr member
    It's really weird, I actually rode Santiago-Chutes just yesterday, starting from the Peter's Canyon parking lot, and there were about 20 fire fighters there getting a lecture on how to fight brush fires.

Apparently, the cause was a car fire by the 241 Windy Ridge toll booth. Some sources state that the car was stolen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I was riding there around 9am yesterday- knew this was going to be a bad one. I suppose its better to get a fire like this late winter rather than late summer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde S Dale
    Not only does this suck for environmental and habitat reasons, .....
    not necesairly true-

why?

well, some of our local plants require fire to reproduce- their seed pods only open after such extreme heat. odd, but its a fact for the native flora here in socal.

also, the critters are al fine- they burrow, run or fly away. critter losses for native species are usually rather low due to wildfires- they're all used to it!

the neat part will be after the next few rains- primary growth- the little, very hardy plants that either have their seeds already here or blow in from another area due to less undergrowth to hinder their wind-propelled movement.

one of the problems of people supressing fires is that this natural occurence/cycle of fire isnt allowed which makes the few that we get even more ferocious due to lots of dead, dry material in the undergrowth that'll burn- remember Yellowstone a decade or so back? the parks service learned so much (the hard way) that controlled burns are now utilized regularly- heck, last time i was in yosemite (late season) a controlled burn was in process for most of the valley.

ok- i'll step off my biologist soapbox now.

as for the MTB side, hopefully we can get in and do some waterbar maintenance before it rains again! time to start talking with the rangers now?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowSSer
    ok- i'll step off my biologist soapbox now.

as for the MTB side, hopefully we can get in and do some waterbar maintenance before it rains again! time to start talking with the rangers now?
    There's no need to step off the soapbox. This stuff needs to heard and understood.

I agree on both counts: the importance of fire for growth and renewal of our local ecosystems and the need for maintenance on the trails before any rains.

Some times its difficult to be clear in quick replies like mine above. I was thinking more in the short term: air quality, particularly for children and older folks, more so if they have any respirtatory ailments----and the temporarily homeless critters you mentioned.

ali'i hua
    agree with ya on the heath hazards- i went and worked out at lunch. well, work out meant cough, hack and wheeze.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It is sad to see these hills burn. Happens in the area about every 10years with a good burn. It has been a long while since the last big fire in the area. Hey, on the bright side maybe some new lines will be discovered when this thing cools down.

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by YetiCruz
    It is sad to see these hills burn. Happens in the area about every 10years with a good burn. It has been a long while since the last big fire in the area. Hey, on the bright side maybe some new lines will be discovered when this thing cools down.

This is the problem. Just because there is no brush, does not mean that we can all go out and build new trails. The brush and plants will return in time. If you must continue to ride these burn areas.....please remain on existing trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej
    This is the problem. Just because there is no brush, does not mean that we can all go out and build new trails. The brush and plants will return in time. If you must continue to ride these burn areas.....please remain on existing trails.
    Good point.......and also make sure you take the steps to find out if the area has officially opened before going out there. There's always a waiting period after these events and there will be quiet a few ecologists and biologists out there taking surveys and planning for the restoration efforts. There will also be a fair amount of monitoring taking place because after these types of events, tons of knowledge is gained by the scientists who monitor the re-growth.

Have fun riding, but just make sure that the area is officially opened, and stick to the open trails.

This is only the 5th time that this area has burned since 1914 so there will be tons of studying and monitoring going on.

Hopefully the fire moved quickly through the oak groves and did not damage them too severely. Weir has one of the nicest oak stands in the area.

See ya on the trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    This is only the 5th time that this area has burned since 1914.

You act like thats a good thing. Try living on these hills when they go up. 5 is plenty. I know of 3 since the late 80's, so your stats may be right, but not a good looking curve. The hills will return in no time and no damage will be done. Look at Santiago Jr. High hills. They burned up many of times and it all looks the same.
    Go stand on your govt. soap box that the tax dollars pay for

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow Yeti,
    Where did that response come from?? JamR merely stated that since the area has not burned that often that there would be people studying the effects.

Someone needs to relax a bit....

I was out there this morning, at the dam which is open, and it is very strange to see all of the trails, i.e. waterfall, chutes, etc. exposed like that. I could see lines I had never ridden before. Still lots of activity going on.
    Last edited by altered; 03-13-2007 at 02:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast