JPW
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Fezzari at Costco La Habra!

Fezzari will be displaying and selling our bikes at the Costco Grand Opening in La Habra. 101 N. Beach Blvd. Starting tomorrow October 26th until Sunday November 6th. Stop in and have a look at the value we offer. We hope to see you there.

You can also view our products online at http://www.fezzari.com/mountain.htm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Er....the following is from the description of the mountain bikes on the Fezzari website...

"Full Suspension with Fezzari Racing Design technology high-performance aluminum frame for firm ride with minimized dovetailing"

What the heck does "minimized dovetailing" dovetailing mean?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Warthog
    "Full Suspension with Fezzari Racing Design technology high-performance aluminum frame for firm ride with minimized dovetailing"

What the heck does "minimized dovetailing" dovetailing mean?
    Duh, try Merriam-Webster (www.m-w.com), an authority on the American English language.

Main Entry: dovetail
    Function: verb
    transitive senses
    1 a : to join by means of dovetails (see below) b : to cut to a dovetail
    2 a : to fit skillfully to form a whole b : to fit together with
    intransitive senses : to fit together into a whole

Main Entry: dovetail
    Function: noun
    : something resembling a dove's tail; especially : a flaring tenon and a mortise into which it fits tightly making an interlocking joint between two pieces (as of wood)

Obviously, very few dovetails were involved in the construction of these aluminum bikes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well, yes, I kinda figured the bike wasn't made of wood. Apparently they've elimated some, but not all of the dovetails, though. I guess that's a good thing?

In the context they use ("for firm ride with minimized dovetailing"), it almost sounds like they are trying to describe some sort of suspension characteristic like brake-jack, or bobbing, or something like that.

Perhaps they can give us examples of bikes that have both more and less dovetailing then these things. That would be helpful.
    Last edited by Warthog; 10-26-2005 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Warthog
    In the context they use ("for firm ride with minimized dovetailing"), it almost sounds like they are trying to describe some sort of suspension characteristic like brake-jack, or bobbing, or something like that.
    Yes, I'm almost certain that's what they meant.

Doubtlessly Fezzari is another one of those newborn brands from some Taiwanese manufacturer that's already sub-contracting (read: building whole bikes for American companies to apply their stickers on) for some well-known names in the industry. Of course, they see that lost 50% in profit for just applying stickers and tweaking a degree or two from an established norm. They don't feel that it is fair that these "importers" can reap what they do from not building a damn thing, not the tubing, components, tires, nothing. Most of that is also made in Taiwan. So with their own brand name, they aim to cut out the middleman, if you will. Unfortunately in these sort of enterprises, the home office insists on maintaining control for fear that an American office will become eventually grow so indispensible as to become a de facto middleman. And there's usually a bit of cheap-out/nepotism involved as well ("my son is so American he actually likes listening to Britney Spears! You can't tear him away from his Counterstrike, but all boys know this bike stuff so he can translate this bike stuff for free!"), which gives rise to half-assed language and cultural translations.

The Japanese have understood the need for cultural translators for awhile, the Koreans are kinda coming around, but a lot of Taiwanese and Chinese are still cheaping out on that one. Which is penny-wise, pound-foolish as they fail to understand why they remain sub-contractors and second-tier players.

The bikes probably aren't bad at all, but good luck on support and replacement frome parts. Customer service and support have been traditionally one of the most neglected aspects of smaller East Asian companies.
    Last edited by DtEW; 10-26-2005 at 03:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DtEW
    Yes, I'm almost certain that's what they meant..
    Other option...they were trying to say that the bike has a minimum amount of pivots to try and emphasize the stiffness of the design...but they got "pivots" confused with "joints." And from "joints" they got a little bit too specific and used "dovetail."

The bikes probably aren't bad at all, but good luck on support and replacement frome parts. Customer service and support have been traditionally one of the most neglected aspects of smaller East Asian companies.
    They aren't exactly cheap either...not the MSRP anyway ($1000-$1400). For a similar price you could probably find a better spec'ed name brand at an LBS. I imagine Costco won't use the MSRP, though.

mtbr member

Maybe.....

Maybe it is the Taiwanese Engrish translation that created the "dovetail" wording for pivot.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Idea!

Hey, check this out...

I found the Fezzaris' long lost siblings...

http://www.khsbicycles.com/02_full_suspension_06.htm

The KHS XCn04 series.

Well, it's now pretty obvious who's building them. And chances are that support and replacement frame parts will be on-par with what KHS is known for (dunno, never dealt with that; but at least its an industry major player).

Coincidentally, I still have a KHS Alite4000 hardtail frame in my stable, and that was/still is one of the sweetest-riding aluminum hardtails I've had. Easton main traingle and all.

Didn't MBA review the a KHS XCn04 bike a year or so ago?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Saw the bikes

I was at the La Habra pre-opening party and the Fezzari bikes were there onsite with a rep. I didn't talk to the rep but the bikes were selling for $849 and lower. $849 for the Abajo Peak. Not a bad bike really, it was spec'd with Deore + LX parts, Weirwolf tires, and a Manitou fork. For the price, it's pretty competitive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hey, check this out...

I found the Fezzaris' long lost siblings...

http://www.khsbicycles.com/02_full_suspension_06.htm

The KHS XCn04 series.
    Ah, good call. The curved, single piece rocker-arm pivot/shock mount is a dead giveaway. I don't see anything about dovetailing on the KHS site though.

JPW
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the heads up on the verbiage on our website. Our webmaster made a mistake, but it has been corrected.

As for where we’re based, we’re US-based.

Like many other high-end bikes, ours are manufactured in Taiwan. In fact, our bikes are made on some of the same assembly lines as Specialized, GT, Trek, and others.

Stop by and check out the quality and value we offer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JPW
    Thanks for the heads up on the verbiage on our website. Our webmaster made a mistake, but it has been corrected.
    Okay, it makes much more sense now..

"Full Suspension with Fezzari Racing Design technology high-performance aluminum frame for firm ride and maximized lateral stiffness"

I'm not sure how "lateral stiffness" got translated to "dovetailing," but at least it makes sense.

Just another Homer

Okay

But doesn't "abajo" mean "down" in spanish? I think Arriba, ( meaning up ) would of been a more apropriate name. After all it is an xc type bike and could never be confused with a downhill ride.

Looks to be a "fair entry level bike", but the pricing isn't that competeive as what you could find at the LBS
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JPW
    Like many other high-end bikes, ours are manufactured in Taiwan. In fact, our bikes are made on some of the same assembly lines as Specialized, GT, Trek, and others.
    Your use of the term, high-end bikes is pretty amusing. I'm sure that Carl Strong, Sherwood Gibson, Matt Chester, James Blakely and many others like them all have their bikes made in Taiwan on the same assembly lines as Specialized, GT, Trek, and others.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NewsOfTheWorld
    Your use of the term, high-end bikes is pretty amusing. I'm sure that Carl Strong, Sherwood Gibson, Matt Chester, James Blakely and many others like them all have their bikes made in Taiwan on the same assembly lines as Specialized, GT, Trek, and others.
    Well, isn't that why we have the term "botique bikes."