mtbr member

favorite tire combos?

hey

I'm looking for some new tires for my heckler. I ride everything with my heckler, XC(50%), DH(35%), and FR/jumping(15% heh...i like to keep the rubber on the ground). Currently I'm riding IRC trail bears 2.25; they were only $15 or less. Before i had kenda blue groove and nevegal 2.5 stick-e kevlar bead. Before that i ran WTB moto raptors, mutano rapotors, and weirwolfs. I like WTB but i feel they wear relatively fast. I run velociraptors on my xc hardtail, i still like 'em even though it doesn't rain much in So Cali. By far my favorites were the kendas. they were great for DHing in big bear anf fontana, but found they were really slowing me down on my xc rides.

I was thinking of trying the Kenda 2.35 blue groove stick-e for the front and 2.35 nevegal DTC for the rear. Anyone else with this combo?

I ride STT, Luge, Holy Jim, San Juan, JPL area, Aliso Woods, Chino Hills State Park, Marshall Canyon, Bonelli, Southridge Fontana, even fullerton loop...

i'm using Stan's now and will be using stan's with my new tires.

thanks
    jr

That's gonna leave a mark
    I'm a big fan of the Maxxis Minion for an all-purpose, Stans-compatible, slow wearing tire. I use the 2.5" 60a durometer on my Turner 5 Spot. They hook up well and aren't too bad on the climbs. They make them in a double ply and single ply. I recommend the single ply for the reduced weight.

I use the Maxxis Highroller on my hardtail with a Stans setup. 2.35" 60a durometer. The lower durometer rated tires hook up incredibly well on the descents, but roll like molasses on climbs and wear out too quickly.
    Fat fanatic.

"Where the Fox Hat?" Endurance Team
    SoCal Colavita Road/MTB club

Just another Homer

Just got it

But so far it's been unbelieveable.We went to Sedona this past week and Dave at Mountain bike heaven, told us about these tires from Schwalbe. I got the Big Betty with the gooeey goo compound and I can't believe how well this tire performs. And an added bonus is,it is light. Weight was just as advertized at exactly 880 grams.I spent 4 days at 8 hours a day riding and the tire only let lose once and that was because of me trying to see how far I could push it. It has a big footprint and with the calipers we measured it at 2.4 (knob to knob). I had been running Maxxis Mobsters and I swore I'd never switch,but after seeing the weight difference (440 grams more) I went ahead and bought it. I did pay dearly for it ( 75 bucks ), but I'd do it again after the way it has worked for me. I have also ran a Nevegal/Blue Groove combo, and liked it a lot, but it wore way to fast for my liking and I had a hard time getting it to set up with Stans. I might keep the Nevegal for a rear. I'm currently using the Maxxis Larsen TT for a rear and this tire has performed as well as anything else I've tried as of late. Great hook up and light.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

mtbr member
    i hear more and more about these schwalbe tires. but wow are they pricey! i thought i was going to splurge by paying $34 each for the kendas. are schwalbes known to wear well?

Glad to Be Alive
    I'm a big fan of the Maxxis Minion for an all-purpose for the frontand a high roller on the back....you can buy any of these tires in the UST version but I have run the non UST maxxis and only had slight burbing on nice size drops.....for you i think you will be fine and would buy non UST tires because you do more XC...i like the rolling of the highroller better than the gripperer Minion on the back
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Samsonite Tester
    Nothing since the first panaracer smoke has made me jizz like the Tioga Factory DH pro 2.3 R . This tire frickin moto's. It is larger than the 2.3 it claims and has tall knobs and sure edge . A roundish tread profile gives it smooth lean and no harsh slip away point.

Front the kenda nevegal 2.35 stick-E is fast rolling , consistant braking , grippy , And wear pretty well in front ( less skidding ?). The knobs rip off but the stans keeps holding.

Personal preference for Stan's coneverted 2.3s pumped to 30-35 psi. This is the fastest , most flat resistant , non burping , DH/FR/XC set up for me. This combo goes on short travel XC race bike , rigid SS and DH/FR bike to much success . I've tried fatter and skinnier but 2.3 is my magic number .
    Yeah I gotta question. You got any excuses tonight Roy ? -Antonio Tarver

There is room for it all, just ride what you like to on what you like to...that's freeriding. -rbn14

mechmann_mtb

i like that combo...

the BG/Neve combo that you posted is one of my favorites. i am back to a cortez though after a major puncturing/rim denting. i like the Cortez 2.4" DTC on the rear. rolls better with only a slight decrease in overall traction.

Just another Homer
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    i hear more and more about these schwalbe tires. but wow are they pricey! i thought i was going to splurge by paying $34 each for the kendas. are schwalbes known to wear well?
    I know the other tires they make last very well, the jury is out for now on this one.
    And I can say the tire saved me a trip to the ER today. I was riding an edge where there was a rut on the side, a very small rut (about 6" deep) and I lost control as I slipped into it. The tire regripped and I was able to pull it out. I know it was the tire that came back so fast and gripped that stopped me from going down at 30 + MPH.
    I may not be as good as I once was.
    But I'm as good once, as I ever was.
    Toby Keith

120 pounds of xc sex!

for me..

we arent big guys JR, so we dont gotta worry about fast wear. But I <3 my panaracer fire XCs. one whole year one em, and still awesome grip, even when it gets muddy and wet. (even with a puny 2.1)

I say panaracer in back with a green michlean in front for pimpage.
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carbnjunkie
    we arent big guys JR, so we dont gotta worry about fast wear. But I <3 my panaracer fire XCs. one whole year one em, and still awesome grip, even when it gets muddy and wet. (even with a puny 2.1)

I say panaracer in back with a green michlean in front for pimpage.
    i'm riding xc not xc racing(i'll keep the smaller tires on my hardtail). after using 2.5 i like having the larger volume tires. by DH i meant doing shuttle runs or hiking up southridge. but most of my xc rides are all up then all down; so really i do a lot of downhilling.

you moving up north or what?

mtbr member

Kenda

2.35 Kinetics Blue groove sticky rubber front and rear specific work well everywhere but there not the fastest or lightest tires around; on a par in those departments with the Nevegal.

120 pounds of xc sex!

Good job!

man, how do I quote here?

JR- I will find out this week when I can move up to norcal. Stupid start ups. Man, I would give my left nut to live in marin and close to the city!
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

Schwinn love
    Nov 2005
    Anybody ever try the Blue Groove DTC in front for XC? Everybody talks about using the DTC in back for less wear. Would the Kenda DTC tires work on front as well?

Chillin the Most

FYI, RE: Stans and Kenda

Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    I'm using Stan's now and will be using stan's with my new tires.
    jr
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenda USA
    ATTENTION KENDA VALUED CUSTOMERS
    KENDA DOES NOT ENDORSE THE USE OF ANY FLUID BASED SEALANT PRODUCTS IN KENDA TUBE TYPE OR TUBELESS TYPE TIRES. USE OF ANY FLUID BASED PRODUCT IN KENDA TIRES WILL BE AT YOUR OWN RISK AND WILL VOID ANY WARRANTY CLAIMS.

THANK YOU!
    Kenda Management

If you have any questions, please contact
    us at:
    Tel: (614) 866-9803 x1
    Fax: (614) 866-9805
    Toll Free: (866) 536-3287 x1
    bicycle@kendausa.com
    Linky - http://kendausa.com/bicycle/technology.html

mtbr member

None Of Them Approve

Quote Originally Posted by red5
    CONTI TIRES TEAR UP AFTER A WHILE i DONT KNOW IF ANY OF THEM APPROVE
    http://www.caddesignwork.com/ where CAD Design and drafting happens.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    i know...

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Kenda Nevegal

I'm riding Kenda Nevegal Dual Compond 2.35 front and rear. Good price on Blue Sky, http://www.blueskycycling.com/
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity