Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004

Fat Tires or Skinny Tires in SLO?

I'm driving up the 101 tomorrow to spend a few days hanging out in SLO. The big question is do I bring my road bike, MTB (FS 29er) or both? The goal is to be able to ride from where we're staying (on the north end of downtown) in the morning to ride for a couple of hours. The road riding is a given, but I was wondering how easy is it to do a 1.5-2 hour ride on my MTB from downtown SLO.

Anyone have suggestions on what MTB rides to do?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you are in the city of slo you can ride your bike to any of a half dozen different places. I would check with the cool people at Cambria bike on Monterey st. to look at the trail maps. Poly canyon and Stenner creek are both on the north end of town and will get you up onto Cuesta ridge were there is some great riding. Cerro San Luis (Madonna) is right in the center of town and is awesome if not limited. Have a blast!

i can't type the letter s
    2TNE,

Pm Brown_Teeth. He's from those parts and knows a lot of good stuff up there.

tom

trail rat
    Both! Excellent fat and skinny rides from there. I agree with going into Cambria Bike. They have some CCCMB trail maps as well.

Ride to start from downtown:

Irish HIlls
    Cerro San Luis (Madonna)
    Poly / Stenner Canyon
    Shooters
    Morning Glory

These are further away, but worth the drive if you have a vehicle:

Cerro Cabrillo (Bautista Property)
    Montana de Oro
    Cerro Alto

Sites:
    Mountain Bike San Luis Obispo County
    Cal Poly MTB
    Cal Poly Wheelman

Central Coast Concern Mountain Bikers
    CCCMB web - Facebook
    SLO trail maps - conditions

"The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

just along for the ride
    If you are staying in the hotels on the N end of town best bet is riding the ridge behind Cal Poly which is about a 1 mile pedal on a class 2 bike path. Road riding is HWY 1 shoulder until you get to Cayucos, not memorable, best bring the mtn bike. Trails start behind poly, either via Steiner creek rd or Poly Canyon road. Send me a email via PM so I can email you a very nice topo of the ridge with its trails. You will have fun, Poly is going out for break so traffic will be light. Also Marine layer is back so nice temps for some great climbing. Have fun

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Brown Teeth,

PM sent. Thanks a bunch.

trail rat
    The trail maps from CCCMB are online here now.

You can give me a shout as well. I live in downtown SLO and ride from home all the time.
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Equal opportunity meanie
    Bring fat tires. Get yourself lost in epic singletrack in MDO. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DHidiot
    Bring fat tires. Get yourself lost in epic singletrack in MDO. Enjoy.
    +1 for that. MDO is my favorite, and would probably be quite fun on the 29er

oh, and look out for morning glory, it claimed one of my fingers on monday (not completely the trail's fault though)

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    +1 for that. MDO is my favorite, and would probably be quite fun on the 29er

oh, and look out for morning glory, it claimed one of my fingers on monday (not completely the trail's fault though)

explain more.....
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2007
    washed out the front wheel and took a 10 foot superman dive. ended up with this and had to walk out 5 miles or so in the dark

trail rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryguy17
    washed out the front wheel and took a 10 foot superman dive. ended up with this and had to walk out 5 miles or so in the dark
    Yeouch!

Morning Glory is about as rough and rocky as I have ever seen it right now. Reminds me more of what? trail than what MG usually is like. Heal up fast, no bike for what, 3-4 weeks?
    CCCMB web - Facebook

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by slocaus
    Yeouch!

Morning Glory is about as rough and rocky as I have ever seen it right now. Reminds me more of what? trail than what MG usually is like. Heal up fast, no bike for what, 3-4 weeks?
    i wish...I have been out since Oct
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the emergency guy says 3-4 weeks, but im going to see an ortho friday for a better idea of whats going on.

Morning glory was a lot different this time down, probably because i was on a FS instead of my hardtail. The trail struck me as a lot crazier, probably because i was holding a steady 20mph down the bad part up top. the FS just ate everything and it was awesome. then i crashed and it sucked. of course, i didnt crash in the crazy part, but the smooth part right after the switchbacks it was really fun up until then though

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Just got back from dinner. The Sultan is sitting next to me in the hotel, and Family Guy is on the tube. I'm gonna go hit the trails in the morning around 8:30. Thinking of heading over towards Poly Canyon from the north end of Monterey St. If anyone wants to meet me PM or post. If not, maybe we can hookup either Friday or Saturday morning.

Thanks for all the tips everyone and hope to meet some of you over the next couple of days.

Heal well Bryguy.

just along for the ride
    How wwwwindy was it? Just rode M Bay and we had some NE gusts at the ridges.Looked windier out Cuesta ridge, nothing like 30 in the face for a long climb. Shot up to 70 then onshore back to 55 by 11:00. back to hardpack and fast conditions.

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Stayed up too late last night and couldn't get up in time to get a ride in before the SO and I went and did our thing. I'm thinking tomorrow AM may be trip up Old Stagecoach and down Morning Glory or Shooters. This morning was a little breezy when I was riding around town, but it was gloriously still tonight. Hope that holds up through the morning.