Thread: Farewell Galen

Just another FOCer

Farewell Galen

Over the Memorial Day weekend The Path lost one of its own with Galen Gibbs passing.

Those of you that have been to The Path, will probably remember Galen busy grabbing bikes, stocking shelves or cleaning up the place.

If you knew Galen, it would nice if you could say a couple words in The Pathís guestbook.

Iíll always remember him as a shy quiet guy. He was always nice and would give you a smile when you said hello.

Now put Galen on a mountain bike, he was transformed from the shadows to the spotlight. He was a ripper. While most of our knees were knocking at the sight of a big drop or jump, Galen would go for it.

Also, by the end of the Fontucky Winter Series this year, he was even besting Taniís DH times.

I was hoping Galen would give a class on how to lean into a turn someday. He had it down:

[SIZE="1"]Photo by Dawn Breda-Thompson[/SIZE]

I remember Galenís first ride with The Path was back in August 29th, 2004. His folks dropped him off into our care. Galen was armed with his Iron Horse SGS DH bike. (Now this is long before Darin and I started riding 40 pound bikes on Path rides.)

That day we rode through Aliso Wood and Laguna Wilderness:

Two weeks went by and Galen showed up for his next Path ride. This time armed with his Specialized P2 dirt jumper, his lightweight climbing bikeÖouch:

Boy was Galen in for a treat because the ride that day was Harding Truck Trail to Joplin. A 23.7 mile, 6+ hour good time. Here are some of the photos I took from that ride.

Along with Galen, we had Tani, Joel, Steve T, Josh, Auk, Crash Maxwell, Brandi and I:

Galen works his way up the Harding Truck Trail:

Galen descending the upper portion of Joplin:

This was before you could ride over the fallen tree:

Taking a break probably half way down Joplin:

Ah, that slippery rock section near the bottom. Tani coming back up for another try:

Galen gives it a go:

Regrouping at the bottom of the slippery rock section:

Ah, the shade of Old Camp:

Another break after the climb out of Old Camp:

Galen hits the jump along the Santiago Truck Trail:

Galen and Darin wonder why the heck you have to climb to finish this darn ride:

Our last break at the end of the Santiago Truck Trail, before our descent down to the bird sanctuary:

To Galenís credit, he kept coming back to for more. That ride would have scared most people, let alone teenagers away.

A couple weeks later, Joel was nice enough to loan Galen a real XC bike for a Whiting to Luge run. The bike didnít hinder his ability to jump one bit:

Finally, I believe this is the last photo I ever took of Galen, Feb 26th, 2006:

Itís only fitting that Jon (they did many rides together) was there too.

Goodbye Galen.

[SIZE="1"]Photo by Jon [/SIZE]
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos[/SIZE]

Why aren't you riding????
    wow, that is really sad to hear. thanks Winston

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    Thanks for posting this Wind Stun. You're a good friend!

Steve
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    Never mind. My prayers go out to his family and friends for their loss.
    Last edited by mtnfiend; 06-07-2006 at 06:56 PM.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Winston,
    Sorry to have to read this.
    At the risk of sounding too "emotional", it seems like you really cared for Galen.
    Sounds like he was a good kid.

I can only imagine the pain his folks must feel.
    I lost my big brother almost 12 years ago. It was heartbreaking to see my parents suffer the way they did (and sometimes still do).

Boy, aren't you glad you carry that camera around on your rides and take lots of pictures?
    That last picture of the tabletop is really nice.
    Take it easy man

Jeff

just rub some dirt on it
    Nov 2005
    My condolences go out to his family. Although having never met Galen, the pictures in this thread show his passion and love for our sport....it is always sad to lose someone in the MTB family.

right behind ya
    wow, my heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. Never had a chance to ride with him but saw him at Path all the time. Anything planned beyond guestbook to pay our respects?
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

Just another FOCer
    I believe there will be something on Sunday, keep an eye on The Path website for an announcement.

A memorial fund has also been setup in Galen's name.

From The Path website:

A memorial fund has been established in Galenís name to support/benefit local mountain biking in an effort to contribute to the kind of riding Galen loved so much.

Contributions can be sent to:

Galen Gibbs Memorial Fund
    406 Timberwood
    Irvine, CA 92620
    Make checks payable to:
    The Galen Gibbs Memorial Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Down boy down
    wow, my heartfelt condolences to his family and friends. Never had a chance to ride with him but saw him at Path all the time. Anything planned beyond guestbook to pay our respects?

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop

I AM PEDALING!
    Gibbs was a good kid.
    We had just rode Oaks a week before his passing, and he was climbing like a goat!
    I asked him if he'd been riding, and sandbagging us on the climbs, he just got that big o'l Galen smile on his face, and said "wwhhaaaattt?"
    I know that those of you that knew him, can hear him saying it!
    Believe me, he's already missed!
    Pain Is Weakness Leaving The Body

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My condolences go out to his family and the guys at the Path. I've seen him a couple of times at the Bikes n Beers event and he seemed like a good kid.

Nice pictures and write up Winston.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    sorry for the double post.
    Last edited by Hanzo90802; 06-09-2006 at 10:07 AM.

Glad to Be Alive
    2 be young and die is never good.....thoughts to his family

How did he die???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    May 2004

Winston thank you for posting

Great, great pics, Winston (great pics, sad subject)

Although I didn't know him (I know most everybody else in the group pics) I'm really sorry to hear this. What happened, might I ask?

I will share I lost my younger brother, Dale, in 1984, my only real (blood) brother. What a tragedy.

My heart goes out to the family (his and the mtn bike family/community).

Best,

Daryl in Boise

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    appears drug overdose. very sad.

all day long
    I don't know Galen, but I know The Path guys are some of the coolest dudes I've come across. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Winston - you're the kind of friend we would all want. It was nice of you to post those pics and honor him.

Peace.

right behind ya
    Winston-

Was unable to attend memorial on Sunday but heard a very heartwarming video was shown. Seems Galen was an amazing kid with myriad talents beyond riding. Were you involved in creating this and are there any plans to post on site for the world to see what a great kid he was.

Also while in the shop the other day Tani mentioned a potential memorial ride - any update here.
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

Just another FOCer
    It was a nice service.

Jon put together a fantastic video remembering Galen. (Far outclassing my video skills.) My favorite part was the sound bites about Galen by the employees of The Path.

"Pueblo"

He may encode it for the web at a future time.

After the service, 10 of us got together for one last ride with Galen:

[SIZE="1"]Photo by Crash Maxwell[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Down boy down
    Winston-

Was unable to attend memorial on Sunday but heard a very heartwarming video was shown. Seems Galen was an amazing kid with myriad talents beyond riding. Were you involved in creating this and are there any plans to post on site for the world to see what a great kid he was.

Also while in the shop the other day Tani mentioned a potential memorial ride - any update here.

[SIZE="1"]NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop

ISO Gems...
    This is touching news...I've never ridden or even met Galen but it really bums me out to hear a sad news like this. It's even more of a bummer for his folks, you guys, and the folks that were really close to him. Bummer, real bummer....

D

We're going down WHAT??

Sincerest condolances....

I also want to send my condolances and thoughts to Galen's family and friends. I can't imagine the sadness his parents, family and friends must feel. Several of us here are parents and none of us wants to imagine that something like this can happen to our families. Well, it can and unfortunately for everyone involved, it has. The world becomes a sadder place when we lose good people like this kid. Go home and talk to your kids and keep telling them how much you care and keep telling how important it is to make good decisions. (Sometimes the smallest and most mundane decisions cause the most dramatic changes.) I thought a lot about this over the weekend and it really makes me sad. You all at The Path, be strong and well. Galen seems to have been a spectacular kid....
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I wish I could have known more of the "real" Galen....beyond his quiet, kind and unassuming exterior.

Tragic. Truly tragic.

Big props to Jon aka "Durfee" for putting together that video. A great parting gift to Galen's family.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Godspeed Galen.