I <3 Dirt

Fanita Ranch Approved by Santee City Council

The Fanita Ranch development from Barratt American was unanimously approved by Santee's city council. Union Tribune Article

There are still federal and state approvals required, but they anticipate to break ground as early as summer of '08. I'm sure Barratt is happy about all the delays which puts them square in one of the biggest declining housing markets in U.S. history. Case-Shiller index already has mid-priced detached resales in San Diego down 12% from their peak and we are nowhere near the bottom. Government intervention with a 5 year freeze on liar loans will just delay the inevitable and does nothing to aid the speculators.

Sorry about the housing commentary.

mtbr member
    The approval doesn't mean Barrett-American starts building yet. There's a lot more to happen before they start swinging hammers: master grading plan and approval, subsidiary EIR's, installation of sewer, storm and potable water mains, installation of power & gas mains and master grading. THEN, BA will start marketing off phases or subdivisions to other builders and then those other builders and/or BA will start with the home and other construction... right about the time "el market" returns with a healthy upswing.

What are the implications for Sycamore Cyn/Goodan Ranch trails and preserve access?

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by EBasil
    The approval doesn't mean Barrett-American starts building yet. There's a lot more to happen before they start swinging hammers: master grading plan and approval, subsidiary EIR's, installation of sewer, storm and potable water mains, installation of power & gas mains and master grading. THEN, BA will start marketing off phases or subdivisions to other builders and then those other builders and/or BA will start with the home and other construction... right about the time "el market" returns with a healthy upswing.

What are the implications for Sycamore Cyn/Goodan Ranch trails and preserve access?
    As far as I'm aware, according to all I've read and heard, access to Sycamore / Goodan will not be hindered at all on the west side of Santee Lakes which is where we enter anyway. I don't think there is legal access east of the lakes as stands, but with the development that will change because BA is required to have public access through the development towards Sycamore Cyn / Goodan. This therefore would actually increase access not decrease it. This may be the case. I do like the idea of a town center in the middle of the development. Stopping for coffee prior/after the ride with a bunch of shiny bikes leaned up against the wall in front of the coffee shop (Starbucks) while everybody shares the stoke sounds good to me. Maybe someone can even open a good bike shop in Santee there?

It all looks well and good and everybody is saying the right things but we really won't know until the development has completed IMO. There is talk (just talk as of now) of a northern connector to 52 and a connector to Pomerado road which would probably look like the 52 overpass at Spring Canyon to ease traffic on Mast. One thing is for sure, there will be changes. Worse? Better? or Neutral?

Mountain Bike Sensei
    Jun 2004
    Someone posted a picture of the planned community a couple years ago here and it looked like the Stowe trail ran south into the development. So I don't think much if any of the current stuff will change. Maybe a new place to park rather than the dirt lot by the high school. Maybe the new housing will have a tie into Stowe.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    after the ride with a bunch of shiny bikes leaned up against the wall

shiny bikes AFTER the ride? You aren't trying hard enough Tom!

YR

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider

shiny bikes AFTER the ride? You aren't trying hard enough Tom!

YR
    Dude, I'm just a poseur now. Did ya hear? Lawndart

You mean I need to try harder??!!!

I <3 Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by NappyT
    Someone posted a picture of the planned community a couple years ago here and it looked like the Stowe trail ran south into the development. So I don't think much if any of the current stuff will change. Maybe a new place to park rather than the dirt lot by the high school. Maybe the new housing will have a tie into Stowe.
    This is probably the best map showing the impact to our trails. Pretty negligible impact to existing trails although I'm not sure if they will attempt to sanitize our trails leading to Goodan. I ride from my house to Sycamore and some of those trails on the east of the valley will be graded and paved.

Last edited by mealsonwheels; 12-07-2007 at 09:32 AM.

I <3 Dirt
    As far as I'm aware, according to all I've read and heard, access to Sycamore / Goodan will not be hindered at all on the west side of Santee Lakes which is where we enter anyway. I don't think there is legal access east of the lakes as stands, but with the development that will change because BA is required to have public access through the development towards Sycamore Cyn / Goodan. This therefore would actually increase access not decrease it. This may be the case. I do like the idea of a town center in the middle of the development. Stopping for coffee prior/after the ride with a bunch of shiny bikes leaned up against the wall in front of the coffee shop (Starbucks) while everybody shares the stoke sounds good to me. Maybe someone can even open a good bike shop in Santee there?

It all looks well and good and everybody is saying the right things but we really won't know until the development has completed IMO. There is talk (just talk as of now) of a northern connector to 52 and a connector to Pomerado road which would probably look like the 52 overpass at Spring Canyon to ease traffic on Mast. One thing is for sure, there will be changes. Worse? Better? or Neutral?
    Yeah, it could actually be a pretty cool area tucked back into the canyons with plenty of land set aside for preservation. I would miss riding through a pristine valley...

I haven't heard anything about a Pomerado connector. Where'd you hear about that?

Quote Originally Posted by mealsonwheels
    I haven't heard anything about a Pomerado connector. Where'd you hear about that?
    Internet Chatter, no official word.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Dude, I'm just a poseur now. Did ya hear? Lawndart

You mean I need to try harder??!!!
    Ouch. I hadn't heard about this one. Last one I heard from you was your finger episode at TW.

I wouldn't say you need to try harder, maybe just better! ;-) Of course, this coming from a guy who considers dropping a curb "big" so your stones are automatically bigger just for doing it, regardless of the finish!

I hope you heal up quickly. I've been off the bike for 3 weeks with my knee and it sucks. Not when the rain is falling of course, but when the weather was nice it just bugged me that I couldn't go out and ride. I'm hoping to be back on the bike in about two weeks. but we'll see. there's still some pain in my knee and I'm afraid it will hurt bad when I pedal, especially uphill but I'll probably take the road bike out for a short ride around the block next week just to test it out.

Michael

mtbr member

Watch Out for the Power Plant and Miramar!

I suspect the builder will proably want to preserve trail access to help promote the development. As long as it doesn't get gated, we should be OK.

I definitely like the thought of a coffee shop or some similar establishment going into the new development for a post ride hangout. I could see benefits to both the new businesses and the bikers if trail access was promoted from the shopping center.

If I could get access to both Goodan Ranch and Sycamore Canyon from my back yard, I would be tempted to convince my wife to move there.

The greater threat will probably be the proposed power plant by where the power lines cross the existing trail. Between access roads and security fences for the plant, I can see much of the current access route getting blocked.

I can also see the folks at Miramar putting up more fences to keep all their new neighbors from hiking into their property.

CEB
    No horse'n round
    The greater threat will probably be the proposed power plant by where the power lines cross the existing trail. Between access roads and security fences for the plant, I can see much of the current access route getting blocked.

From what I hear......... no power plant.

I can also see the folks at Miramar putting up more fences to keep all their new neighbors from hiking into their property.

Not gonna happen..... we'll get access one way or another.

Bike Geek
    Is the rumored connector trail over the mesas to MTRP part of this overall project or just something that's coinciding? I can imagine the community/developer being a strong voice for getting something like that opened up...

CEB
    No horse'n round
    The rumored connections is already a reality! Not officially........

I've already taken the run from the top of Spring to Sycamore. Easy to do (or at least the east bound direction is). The trail is along ridgetops, dirt roads (as opposed to a single track) dropping into Sycamore at the powerlines, going down the hill covered in grey 1/2 gravel).

Ck it out!

Bike Geek
    Cool - I don't see residents of the ranch wanting to take that route though. Any word on when it should be "official"?