mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Exploring Santiago Oaks / Irvine Reg Park

Still trying to learn the trails around Oaks but need some feedback on recommended routes. I've ridden there 4 times and each time have ridden it a bit different just to get familiar and do some exploring (translation: lost). I have the park pass, so can park at either Oaks or IRP. What is a good 8-10 mile route that ends up going down Chutes and back to IRP parking lot. I've started up Santiago Creek towards the dam and then up Oak, but man the 3B's are brutal. From there I kind of get lost and just take random trails and try to piece together a 6-8 miler. I've studied Google map but it doesn't give me indications of elevation or technicality. Any suggestions to make my ride flow a little better would be appreciated. As for my abilities, I can handle technical downhill, but still trying to condition myself for steep and long distance uphills.

Warrior's Society
    If you think Oak is tough.....all the other climbs will be tougher. When they rerouted Oak(3 B's) they made them so much easier. Yes there are a coupe of short steep sections.

All the other trail that you could climb: Goat, Chutes Trail, Coachwhip, Deer, bumblebee, are all a little steeper.

Everybody has their own favorite route.

Personally:

Up Chutes Trail, down Cactus, up Bumblebee to Oak, up Oak, down Yucca Ridge, up Coachwhip, down Barham Ridge, down Chures Ridgeline. You can always add in more.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, gotta walk on some of the steeper uphill tech sections already. I just want to ride a consistent route so I can gauge my improvement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    THIS is my average ride at chutes. down yucca, up coachwhip, barham ridge to chutes ridge, up chutes trail, down cactus, up bumble bee, back to car.

if i have the time, from bumble bee i will drop down hawk and come back up goat to barham, you could then do pretty much anything else you want form there.

i havent ventured down deer far enough to work it into a regular ride, nor have i gone south from the bottom of chutes.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    THIS is my average ride at chutes. down yucca, up coachwhip, barham ridge to chutes ridge, up chutes trail, down cactus, up bumble bee, back to car.

if i have the time, from bumble bee i will drop down hawk and come back up goat to barham, you could then do pretty much anything else you want form there.

i havent ventured down deer far enough to work it into a regular ride, nor have i gone south from the bottom of chutes.
    Sounds good. Will try and head out this week and give it a shot.

Warrior's Society
    Deer is easier going CCW.....if you like to climb, Deer is more fun going CW.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Deer is easier going CCW.....if you like to climb, Deer is more fun going CW.
    That's good to know. I've gone both ways on oaks, bumblebee, grasshopper, chutes and probably a few others. Helpful tips like the ones above definitely help.