Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Experiences at Mammoth?

I've been an XC rider for a few years and really enjoy it, but I can't help but watch downhill helmet cam videos and think "damn, I really want to try that!" I've been thinking about heading up there at the start of the season, but am a little nervous about my skill. Partly pride, partly fear of injury (mostly pride, I'm young and heal quick haha). Has anyone been there? Is it at least somewhat easy on first time downhill riders if you start off on slower, more relaxed courses (i've heard one called Richter is gentle for newbs)?

Lastly, although I currently ride and race XC, I used to ride BMX when i was REALLY young. That bike got stolen (*sad face*), so I had a while where I wasnt really riding at all, then picked up a Giant Revel 1 and found myself in cross country. So, jumping big gaps aren't new, but I am definitely out of practice, so are there some easier gaps to hopefully get my airborne skills back?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    First of all... Go for it.

If you really want to get the full package out of your downhill experience, see if you can get a lesson/coach for a day. I'm sure your pride will steer you away from it, but you'll be so happy you did it. There is so much to learn about body positioning and how to attach a jump, that you'll be so glad you invested in yourself to learn the right way to ride.

Mammoth is fun and needs to be ridden a little differently than the typical bike park. The pumice on the Mtn makes you lay off the front brake in most circumstances, so it can be tricky. You'll pretty much need to steer via your rear brake.

Once yu spend some time riding Dzh, your CX rides will be so much more fun. You'll spend more time hitting and making jumps on all of your rides because you'll be looking for them nonstop.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Experiences at Mammoth?

Yeah break a leg man have some fun

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Getting a trainer is actually a really good idea. My pride doesnt suffer so much from being bad and taught the basics, just when i end up using bikes to put dents in trees haha

Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely going to look into that.

mtbr member
    Its really the perfect place to try it since you can rent a full on DH ride and just slowly progress up the trail difficulty, since they're all well marked. If for some reason you don't like it (unlikely!) there are still plenty of XC trails to hit too. I'd be happy to show you around the trails if I'm up at the same time.

You might want to check out some videos of the trails as well to get an idea of what they're like.
    definite malingerer

b a n n e d
    Mammoth is great fun. I'm an experienced rider, but not when it comes to DH riding. I went to Mammoth last year for the first time riding lift-assisted, and initially was quite intimidated and nervous, but I was very pleasantly surprised that there is something there for everyone and every skill level.

If you can, I'd definitely recommend going with someone who knows the mountain. It makes a big difference.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Mammoth is awesome.
    You need to go.
    Lots of work has been put in to the trails in the past few seasons and the mountain is fun for riders of all abilities.
    The trails at Mammoth fall in to three categories:
    1. XC-even though the trails can be lift accessed they likely present no challenges beyond what you've seen before on an adventurous trail ride. Examples are Off The Top, Downtown, Juniper, Paper Route, Beach Cruiser, Big Ring. Break Through.
    2. New School park/jump trails-Not classic DH by any means. Smooth and fast trails with features and mostly table top jumps. Speed and flow is greatly improved with paver berms and wood features. Very few gap jumps and the ones that exist are signed and primarily found on Pipeline. Examples are Recoil, Twilight Zone, Jill's Jumps, Pipeline.
    3. Old School classic DH-these are the trails that Mammoth was famous for and they still present a unique to Mammoth experience in terrain, soil, features, tech, and speed. All sorts of degree of difficulty but on these trails you'll find steeper terrain, loose corners, rocks, drops, rock gardens, and much of the steepness and speed that Mammoth can offer. Most of the difficult features on these trails are "natural" or have minimal modifications made to their signature sections. Bullet, Follow Me, Chainsmoke, Velocity, Upper Velocity for example.

The loose and drifty kitty litter that qualifies as soil at Mammoth is found on all trails, so you'll get that part of the experience no matter what you ride.

Good trails that serve as entrance to classic DH at Mammoth are Shotgun, Skidmarks, Follow Me, Lower Velocity.

Good trails that mix DH and park feature riding are Recoil-Velocity-Twilight Zone and Break Through-Flow-Pipeline-Shotgun.

Mammoth is also "famous" for drops. The classic drop at Mammoth is the Flow Drop. There are bigger drops on Techno Rock. Even if you won't be attempting these features it's cool to go check them out to see the whole range of terrain at Mammoth.

Mammoth is a great place to work on all sorts of DH skill due to the variety of terrain and features.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    there's a ton of more XC oriented DH riding at Mammoth than the all out black diamond DH runs. you can take the gondola to the top, ride down the back side of the mountain, get to the lodge, and even take trails down into the town and I did these rides 15 years ago with my Diamondback Apex and my 3" of plush Manitou 3 front suspension!

go. plenty of riding to enjoy regardless of your riding style and skill level. if an obstacle comes along that you can't do, just get off and walk around it.

Professional Troll
    I Love Mammoth

Professional Troll
    Also, a trainer is probably a waste of money. Just find some rider that's a lot better than you and knows the mountain, offer to buy them lunch/beer to show you around and give you riding tips.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider View Post
    there's a ton of more XC oriented DH riding at Mammoth than the all out black diamond DH runs. you can take the gondola to the top, ride down the back side of the mountain, get to the lodge, and even take trails down into the town and I did these rides 15 years ago with my Diamondback Apex and my 3" of plush Manitou 3 front suspension!

go. plenty of riding to enjoy regardless of your riding style and skill level. if an obstacle comes along that you can't do, just get off and walk around it.
    THIS.

I would consider myself an Experienced MTB rider, but I am not a jumper. I prefer to keep my tires closer to the ground. I have gone once every summer for a number of year (though this year I might only go to summit since it is opening up again and is closer to home). My favorite trail is Skidmarks, it is from the top and is a single black diamond run, very much a xc/downhill mix. There is a ton of stuff I ma sure you could do right now with your skill level.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    Also, a trainer is probably a waste of money. Just find some rider that's a lot better than you and knows the mountain, offer to buy them lunch/beer to show you around and give you riding tips.
    Strongly disagree with this . . . . boatloads of idiots up there who may look like they know what they are doing, but that does not mean they are doing it right or doing it well. Spending an afternoon with someone who knows how to teach is money well spent.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Just another person saying: GO.

Even with just an XC/AM bike (and high volume tires) you can have a ton of fun at Mammoth.

Don't be surprised if the altitude kicks your butt. Drink a lot of water!

Team Fearless Descender
    Will be up, from SoCal, this August. We usually go once a year, sometimes skipping a year, and have been doing so since the early 90's. Yes, there are big bike (big Cojones) runs, bigger than my AM bike / b@lls, but plenty of fun to be had no matter what bike you are on. The food and drink, be sure to check out Roberto's Mexican - the up stairs bar, and of course just the views alone, off the back side (from the top) of the mountain...!

Altitude? Well it is 11k at the top, and if you live at sea level like me, you do feel it, but its all good.

Yes, the "kitty liltter" soil! Ha! It does take a run or two to get used to that!

In all the years I've never used a guide or trainer (maybe that's why I'm not hitting the bigger "stunts" Mammoth has these days?), just the park map and my own good sense. We almost always go up with, or meet up with other friends, and everyone has their own level. I will say, to me at lest, Mammoth is a notch less than Tahoe, a notch less "knar", but for my group it has always been a blast.

Looking forward to this years trip!

Oh, don't forget Lower Rock Creek trail!
    "...when your ride is nearly over, it seems to have lasted but an instant..."

Stuff

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Salt View Post
    Oh, don't forget Lower Rock Creek trail!
    If you have someone to shuttle you, LRC is amazing, and free.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Paul, do yourself a favor and do some searching on Youtube. There are tons of video's people have shot up in Mammoth on every trail. Just type in Mammoth Recoil or Twilight or Pipeline, Off the Top, Shock Treatment, etc... In fact, I think on the Mammoth website all the trails are listed but Norm named a bunch. We find ourselves going mostly on a few. There are some that we walk to get past some knarly sections but the right bike really helps.

Footloose has 1/2 price rentals on Tuesdays. Last year Mammoth had all new Rocky Mountian Flatlines and Flatline Pro's there. The Pro's were $150 a day and the other were $100. We bought 2 of the demo's the year prior as they only had 3 months of riding on them. Tons of other stuff to do in Mammoth as well. Two assume golf courses, lakes filled with trout and lot's of good eateries at the Village. You really can't go wrong. Low budget you can tent it or Motel 6 is $80. Look on VRBO or CL for condo's as well.

Here is a link to the Mammoth calendar. Looks at each month as they always have something going on. We do the 4th of July week which is awesome. August is great too as they have Mammoth Rocks and a Taste of Mammoth along with Mammoth Motocross.

Mammoth Lakes Events | Official Events Calendar | Mammoth Lakes CVB

mtbr member
    If you're planning a trip, there are also the Kamikaze bike games scheduled for Sept. Kamikaze Bike Games - Races
    definite malingerer

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    You're going to Mammoth in August? Me, too! We should hang out.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by ragged edge racing View Post
    Low budget you can tent it or Motel 6 is $80.
    Tent is the way to go, Free Shuttle from the Campsites up at Twin Lakes and Lake Mary to the Village.

Professional Troll
    Or just rent a primo 3 bedroom condo for $150/night where you can fit 8 people in there. Summer accommodations are ridiculously cheap.

mtbr member
    From the facebook:"How do you feel about another Memorial Day Weekend opening?"
    definite malingerer

mtbr member
    Awesome.
    Buy the pass now and it's like $1.65 a day* to ride the park for the entire season.

*providing you blow off all other responsibilities in life and devote yourself to the bike park.

There are going to be at least 120+ days to ride the park this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Mammoth is awesome, been going there riding since the 80's, skiing there even longer. I've done about every type of riding there, from DH-road riding and never have been disappointed. The town is also great families, lots to do, fishing, hiking, the main base area has a climbing wall and a small zipline, Yosemite and Bodie are close. I highly recommend a trip up there.
    Last edited by Hurricane Jeff; 04-26-2013 at 09:30 PM.

Professional Troll
    I couldn't even find where to buy the summer season pass on their website. The link for the $199 pass just takes you to their section to buy a skiing season pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Clydesdale View Post
    Awesome.
    Buy the pass now and it's like $1.65 a day* to ride the park for the entire season.

*providing you blow off all other responsibilities in life and devote yourself to the bike park.

There are going to be at least 120+ days to ride the park this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini2k05 View Post
    I couldn't even find where to buy the summer season pass on their website. The link for the $199 pass just takes you to their section to buy a skiing season pass.
    You need to call them and ask for the 'early bird special'.
    It's not advertised on their site, but if you call and ask you can get the bike park pass for $199 for the month of April.
    Offer expires at end of month and may jump up to $269 since the park opens in May.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast