Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! ever seen a mountain lion at calavera?

On my ride at calavera on friday around 4pm i spotted something running through the field that appeared to be a moutain lion. but anybody who knows calavera, knows that would be hard to believe. maybe it was a bobcat? this thing was all yellow though. from pictures i've seen, bobcats have some black markings. whatever it was, as it ran away from me, it kept stopping to turn around and look at me. i waited till it was in the bushes and rode very fast the other way. although with all the fires, i'd think the possibility of it being a mountain lion could be likely?

Lord of the Chainrings
    I wouldn't be surprised.
    I spotted a mountain lion off Palomar Airport Road, and El Fuerte in Carlsbad recently
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    I wouldn't be surprised.
    I spotted a mountain lion off Palomar Airport Road, and El Fuerte in Carlsbad recently
    really? when?

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbchik25
    really? when?
    Go here: Roadkill cougar
    Post 17

mtbr member
    ..where at Calaveras did you see it?

mtbr member

deer

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Dolor
    If there's deer in Calavera, it could have been one. If no deer, then probably not.
    i've never seen deer at calavera, but there are lots of coyotes, rabbits. do they make yummy kitty snacks?

mtbr member

you know where that paved road is near the dam?

Quote Originally Posted by REIGN 2
    ..where at Calaveras did you see it?
    i went down that, then turn left and pass through the gate. went up the hill and kept going straight then there's an open field. that's where he was, to the left about 30 yards away. he definately saw me first, i didn't even notice until i saw him running off through the field.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bobcats are frequently mistaken for mtn lions, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear of one there. Long tail is a better ID factor, more so than color. A guy told me a year ago or so early one morning he had just seen one. Lions can cover huge amounts of ground and have big territories. Yes, the fire makes it more likely. You're lucky to get to see one, but it does make one less comfortable doing solo rides at dawn or dusk!

Silence and Thunder...
    ...it had to be a bobcat...just ask DJ....
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I dont understand how someone can mistake a bobcat for a mountain lion.....

One is dark and has a short tail, the other is quite a bit lighter and has a long tail...

I know they are out and around, Ive been seeing a lot more deer lately up in the Temecula area.

Baby-heads.... oh joy!
    Have you seen any tracks? I was just out there yesterday, saw a lot of horse tracks...grrrrr, they really tear it up. Plenty of hiker tracks through the mud. Not as manybike tracks throught the mud as I expected to see. I haven't seen a mt lion since 2001 up in Cuyamaca.
    No, it wouldn't suprise me either, as the fires do tend to drive wildlife into areas abundant in wildlife, and we all know that there are a lot of critters at Calavara, it truely is an amazing..be it small ecosystem.
    How big was it? Kind of creepy since I ride solo there a lot...in fact I ride solo just about everywhere since my wifes injury.

Specialized Rida
    On my ride at calavera on friday around 4pm i spotted something running through the field that appeared to be a moutain lion. but anybody who knows calavera, knows that would be hard to believe. maybe it was a bobcat? this thing was all yellow though. from pictures i've seen, bobcats have some black markings. whatever it was, as it ran away from me, it kept stopping to turn around and look at me. i waited till it was in the bushes and rode very fast the other way. although with all the fires, i'd think the possibility of it being a mountain lion could be likely?

I doubt it was any type of mt lion or bobcat. I have ridden out there for the longest time and have seen coyotes. I was bombing down one of the trails one day and had a coyote run across my trail. After he crossed I took off even fast just in case I scared or pissed him off by my flyby. So more than likely it was a coyote. Although rarely seen that is the only animal I have seen out there on quite a few occasions. For the most part they tend to stay away and on thier own path.

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    I doubt it was any type of mt lion or bobcat.
    I've been riding in Southern California since 1989 and have never seen a cougar. I've seen two bobcats. Why couldn't it be a cat? It's more likely to be a bobcat but where there's food, there's kitty's.

Cougars have a fairly large range of travel so for one to end up in Calvera it'd have to have a pretty good access path that's pretty secluded. I don't know the area well enough to know if it would have that or not.

Before the Cedar fire, Cuyamaca park had the largest concentration of cougar's in the state. not sure how it ranks now though.

YR

Lord of the Chainrings
    Mountain lion and bobcat pixs....
    (Quite a difference!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I just got an email from my almamatter.....(or however you spell that)

Cal State San Marcos.......

"The mountain lion has once again been seen on the campus grounds in the evenings and
    early morning hours. Please use extra caution when walking on campus at night. Do
    not walk alone. If you see the mountain lion, contact University Police
    immediately. For the fastest possible police response, program 750-4567 into your
    cell phones.

Traps have been set to capture the animal, but until it is caught, walk in groups
    when outside at night. Do not approach the animal. If you are confronted by the
    mountain lion, DO NOT RUN, as this will stimulate the its instinct to chase. Make
    yourself appear as large as possible, keep intense eye contact, wave your arms, and
    make noise."

Thought it might interest some of you......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    I doubt it was any type of mt lion or bobcat. I have ridden out there for the longest time and have seen coyotes. I was bombing down one of the trails one day and had a coyote run across my trail. After he crossed I took off even fast just in case I scared or pissed him off by my flyby. So more than likely it was a coyote. Although rarely seen that is the only animal I have seen out there on quite a few occasions. For the most part they tend to stay away and on thier own path.
    it wasn't a coyote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteve
    I just got an email from my almamatter.....(or however you spell that)

Cal State San Marcos.......

"The mountain lion has once again been seen on the campus grounds in the evenings and
    early morning hours. Please use extra caution when walking on campus at night. Do
    not walk alone. If you see the mountain lion, contact University Police
    immediately. For the fastest possible police response, program 750-4567 into your
    cell phones.
    the "cougar" obviously feels right at home.

masthead-logo-csusm-140w.gif

Silence and Thunder...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    Mountain lion and bobcat pixs....
    (Quite a difference!)

Flaccid Member
    Speaking generalities here... cats don't usually frequent being out in the open like in a field or a meadow. They like ground cover, being skulky, sneaky, and having something very close or nearby to hide behind, be it rocks, bushes, cover, etc. They like to hunt by getting close and ambushing their prey at close range. Given a choice, they like to be a minimum of 5 steps from being able to hide behind something to keep you from viewing them.

Sooo, seeing a cat in a wide open field with no cover near by is not too common. A coyote will run and stop, looking back, once he feels the distance between you two is safe.. A cat, once he decides to leave, and has lost curiosity and interest, won't bother, they just keep on walking or trotting, never looking back. A cat, spooked at close range, will run and hide behind something, truly believing in it's camoflage , that it is invisible to you if it remains motionless.

Hunting a coyote, knowing they stop and look back, ends up in the crosshairs. You just wait for the opportunity. If it was stopping and looking back, I have my doubts it was a cat, unless it was late January or February during the mating season. All horny animals do stupid stuff during the mating season.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 12-19-2007 at 09:43 AM.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Speaking generalities here... cats don't usually frequent being out in the open like in a field or a meadow. They like ground cover, being skulky, sneaky, and having something very close or nearby to hide behind, be it rocks, bushes, cover, etc. They like to hunt by getting close and ambushing their prey at close range. Given a choice, they like to be a minimum of 5 steps from being able to hide behind something to keep you from viewing them.

Sooo, seeing a cat in a wide open field with no cover near by is not too common. A coyote will run and stop, looking back, once he feels the distance between you two is safe.. A cat, once he decides to leave, and has lost curiosity and interest, won't bother, they just keep on walking or trotting, never looking back. A cat, spooked at close range, will run and hide behind something, truly believing in it's camoflage , that it is invisible to you if it remains motionless.

Hunting a coyote, knowing they stop and look back, ends up in the crosshairs. You just wait for the opportunity. If it was stopping and looking back, I have my doubts it was a cat, unless it was late January or February during the mating season. All horny animals do stupid stuff during the mating season.
    it wasn't a coyote

Silence and Thunder...
    it wasn't a coyote
    ...got yer back. Nevermind what all the 'authorities' around here say...YOU know what you saw.
    There are no absolutes when it comes to the natural world...

Specialized Rida
    [QUOTE=xjbebop]...YOU know what you saw.QUOTE]
    Actually he doesn't. one can only assume what type of animal it was based on the location and terrain of Calaveras. For all we know it could have been a yellow dog or something.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've been riding at Calaveras for thirty-five years...and it doesn't surprise me mtbchik saw a mtn lion where and when she said... running across the open area to get to the thick brush on the other side.

mtbr member
    A few years ago...when Flightline used to exist...my former co-worker and I saw one in the eastern end of Flightline during a post-work evening ride. No mistaking it...long tail with the sleek body. Our boss saw one out there not long before that. They are out there!

Flaccid Member
    it wasn't a coyote
    I don't know what it was... but the probability of you seeing a mountain lion in your mountain bike travels before a bobcat or a coyote is not that likely.

Secondly, if I saw a mountain lion, on Friday at Calavera, I would have posted about it on Friday night, when I got home, to warn other riders of the hazard in the area before they went out on their weekend rides. Did you notify anyone else about what your saw before going home?

You took your time posting about it Monday morning, so whatever it was you saw, you didn't think it was that important or worth warning your fellow mountain bikers on the board here about.

So, what was it you saw? Your actions (or lack of urgency thereof) and behavior speak volumes about the perceived threat to you, and to others.

Maybe it would be a good idea if you packed a digital camera on every ride, so you could take pictures, and remove all doubt. Photo opportunities like that are golden. Even cell phone photo's are better than nothing.

Last edited by Boyonadyke; 12-19-2007 at 11:09 PM.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast