mnoutain bkie rdier

Even possible? Connect PQ to Black Mtn...all dirt?

Has anyone figured out a clever way to connect PQ canyon to Black Mountain with all dirt trails or paths?

If not, can anyone lend some suggestions that are perhaps close to all dirt?

Thanks for any help!

Ryd

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Has anyone figured out a clever way to connect PQ canyon to Black Mountain with all dirt trails or paths?

If not, can anyone lend some suggestions that are perhaps close to all dirt?

Thanks for any help!

Ryd
    Unless you can levitate I doubt the all dirt option is a possibility. I know a friend that does black mountain from his house in PQ. I will see what route he takes.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
    Quote Originally Posted by rydbyk View Post
    Google Archipeligo. it is a 60-ish mile ride starting at La Costa in Carlsbad, hitting elfin forest, lake hodges, black mountain, and ending in PQ. not sure of the exact route taken though.

pretty sure they use McConigle Canyon as the connector. I just don't know how or where it is accessed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    check out the SMDBA website. The arch ride is coming up (it's possible to go from Rancho La Costa all the way to Los Penasquitos on >98% dirt). Well worth joining SDMBA just to do the ride.

Anyway, to get from black mountain ranch (note that this is not black mountain open space preserve, but it's separated by Carmel Valley Road), lets start from the parking lot off of Carmel Valley Road, just east of black mountain road and carmel valley road. You'll go west south-west on the single track that parallels carmel valley road. After maybe 1 mile, it bends gradually till it's going west north west. Now you're sort of paralleling camino del sur. Stay on this till you can make a hard left and go under camino del sur (maybe 1/2 mile after you were going slightly north). After you go under camino del sur, your going south (almost directly). Continue to go south till you pass under carmel valley road, and then head west south west. Eventually you'll pass under 56. Now you're looking good. Keep going on what is essentially a sewage easement and you'll see a steep hill off to the left. Climb that hill and you'll be in (on?) del mar mesa. Cut back east for a quarter mile or so and then head south down one steep as hill and up another steep as hill (all fireroad, meh) and then head south west again and you'll see los penasquitos opening up below you. Fun times down some singletrack and you'll be on the north side of los penasquitos. Plot this out using google earth or something like that and you'll get a clearer picture.

Or just do the arch ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts View Post
    Unless you can levitate I doubt the all dirt option is a possibility. I know a friend that does black mountain from his house in PQ. I will see what route he takes.
    Depends on what part of Black Mountain. You can connect PQ with Lusardi Loop all on dirt. You would then have to cross Carmel valley road from the ball park to get to the actual mountain.

We will be riding PQ + Lusardi + Hodges and back on Saturday. It'll be a long ride, PM me if your interested.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    thx everyone. you're the bestest in the westest.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    For even more clarity, see MTBBill on this page under Connectors:

The Santaluz Loop

Even possible?  Connect PQ to Black Mtn...all dirt?-santaluzarea.jpg

mnoutain bkie rdier
    Thx dmk...very helpful. I am "that" guy who does not read instructions....I just do..haha. I will break down and head over to MTBBill now.. (head hung low..)

mnoutain bkie rdier
    I was able to connect PQ to Santa Luz area (Lusardi Loop) vis McGonigle Canyon. I was not real happy with the muddy boring fire road that links under the 56. I wonder if there are better ways to connect?

Thx
    Last edited by rydbyk; 02-25-2013 at 01:49 PM.