mtbr member

Escondido/San Marcos trails?

My office used to be off the 56 and I rode the Tunnels several times a week. My office recently moved to Escondido, and now I'm looking for some trails in this area. Can anyone recommend something similar to the Tunnels?

I have ridden around Lake Dixon and Daley ranch, but it's too flat. I'm looking for more challenging terrain - some climbing, some fun downhill, maybe a few beginner/intermediate jumps, etc

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Look up Elfin Forest. It will solve you lack of climbing issue pretty quick. Great trails and just a ton of fun.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by guaps View Post
    My office used to be off the 56 and I rode the Tunnels several times a week. My office recently moved to Escondido, and now I'm looking for some trails in this area. Can anyone recommend something similar to the Tunnels?

I have ridden around Lake Dixon and Daley ranch, but it's too flat. I'm looking for more challenging terrain - some climbing, some fun downhill, maybe a few beginner/intermediate jumps, etc

Thanks!
    You obviously haven't ridden ALL of Daley Ranch...trust me, there is some uphill and ST and risky riding (there) if you look for it. If you REALLY like uphill/downhill...you can always go back down and go back up the same hill(s) up several times...you'll get your fill! Just remember: max speeds out there are 15mph...!!!

If you're looking for sweet jumps (ode to ND)...Ted Williams....if it hasn't been sanitized yet. Also, there is some riding on the hills behind Palomar College (the hills with the giant white-painted "P" on them) that have jumps...more designed for 20" dirt bikes vice mtn bike, though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There's tons of really cool trails up your way, but IMO there is nothing like the Tunnels in all of SD County.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Check out Rancho La Costa - little far out from your listed area but right on the border of Carlsbad and San Marcos. There's some old fireroads that link up the trails on top of the double peak area (San Marcos) with Elfin Forest (Olivenhain) if you want climbing and downhill. Also, if you've done the archipelago ride, you'll know that there's a way to link Elfin with Rancho La Costa. That said, you could link Double Peak area to Rancho La Costa on dirt, the long way. Also, part of San Diego but, the Bernardo Peak section of Hodges should do you for some climbing. Also, scope out the area above Palomar Collage (the 'P' hill). Plenty of stuff to challenge you there.

And I agree, you didn't ride enough of Daley Ranch. Start at the Humane Society and head up toward Stanley Peak, then drop down, via the water tower and coyote run to the meadow loop, heading up to Burnt Mountain at the North end of the meadow loop. Get over to the Cougar Pass Entrance. Then head over to boulder loop via as much single track as possible, and then down to the ranch house via Crest Trail. Head back down to your car via quail trail. Plenty of climbing, moderately techy, plenty of descending, lots of scenery. Fair share of natural jumps. Ride it before it starts getting hot; tree stands are infrequent east side of the park.

Certifiably Crazy
    No climbing in Daley? What Daley are you riding? Try Elfin like someone suggested. I suggest you explore Daley, you can make some fun loops there.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    It's unanimous - my Daley Ranch ride was a total failure on my part. I'll go back and try again. I rode out to the Ranch house, and then did a loop into the valley beyond and came back. It was short, so I clearly didn't go far enough.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

Thanks!

Certifiably Crazy
    Daley Ranch by carloswithac at Garmin Connect - Details

This will get you 1k feet. If you keep on riding you'll get 2k.
    2011 Felt Z5
    2013 Felt Edict Nine

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

I don't own a gps so...

Quote Originally Posted by Carloswithac View Post
    Daley Ranch by carloswithac at Garmin Connect - Details

This will get you 1k feet. If you keep on riding you'll get 2k.
    Wow, that loop is 1k. Had a feeling I was doing over 3k on the longer loops.

If you want to climb Daley start from the corner of Broadway blvd and Cougar Pass and climb it to upper Engleman oaks, its about a 3mi climb. Go to the La Honda parking lot and climb to the top of Stanley Peak. Climb Cardiac hill (24% in spots) down Crest up Boulder and out back to the car. If you add in Caballo I have a feeling it getting close to 4k.

At Hodges climb Bernado peak and go to Raptor ridge (Mule Hill) down the backside to the trail signs and back. Feels like about 2.3k+ of climbing.

As far as local trails with good jumps probably La Costa, Calaveras, and ted Williams. Any other place fight club rules prevail and you will have to join a pirate ship.

Mountain Lion Bait
    I'm down from Norcal working at Pendleton. Can someone point me in the direction of the "Tunnels?" Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    They are near the 56 and Camino Del sur. Seen on the Google maps as Del Mar Mesa preserve.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Tunnels have been closed for years and are off limits
    to ride.

Mountain Lion Bait
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    to ride.
    I see all sorts of trails in that area on google maps (thx wj). All of that is closed?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    to ride.
    Yeah and the Mexican border is closed as well...

I'm your density
    Just stay on the correct side of the chain link fences and you'll be OK.

The $450 dollar question is, which *IS* the "correct" side?
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renderedtoast View Post
    I see all sorts of trails in that area on google maps (thx wj). All of that is closed?
    You could ride through the gate in the split rail fence, pedal under the shade of the eucalyptus trees, and find the trails, but it would be WRONG...........
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

most memberable
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Raton View Post
    You could ride through the gate in the split rail fence, pedal under the shade of the eucalyptus trees, and find the trails, but it would be WRONG...........
    You're just the corrupting sort, ain't ya?!?!

Mountain Lion Bait
    Quote Originally Posted by RTSO2112 View Post
    You're just the corrupting sort, ain't ya?!?!
    I don't mind being corrupted, I just don't want to get cited for pedaling my two wheeled contraption.

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by renderedtoast View Post
    I don't mind being corrupted, I just don't want to get cited for pedaling my two wheeled contraption.
    That is a chance you take if you venture into tunnels these days.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    You could wait for a trail plan to get approved...oh wait, how long have we been waiting for that?
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Should be wide open in about 15-20 years.. but it will be DG paths and blacktop
    San Diego needs singletrack