Sober for now...

EPIC RIDE- Cuyamaca to Noble Canyon

In the June issue of MTB Action it lists Cuyamaca to Noble in its list of top epic rides. Has anyone ridden this? I'm familiar with Noble but not the Cuyamacas.
    Info???

mtbr member
    - elivingston

mtbr member

It is a good ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bjammin
    In the June issue of MTB Action it lists Cuyamaca to Noble in its list of top epic rides. Has anyone ridden this? I'm familiar with Noble but not the Cuyamacas.
    Info???

Not sure how MBA has the route. I've done it parking at East Mesa Trailhead. And I didn't feel too epic worthy. I just rode across the two ranges and around Big Laguna and back.
    It is truley an epic ride in August and September.

Sober for now...
    Quote Originally Posted by elivingston
    Hey man, thanks for the link - very helpful. From the looks of it, you need two cars. One at either end. Am I correct?

banned

I Am Sorry, But Did You Say

Hey man, thanks for the link - very helpful. From the looks of it, you need two cars. One at either end. Am I correct?
    "EPIC?" Never in my life did I hear the words EPIC and SHUTTLE in the same sentence.

EPIC mtbers DON"T shuttle!

If you're going to go one way, please don't use the word EPIC. It gives us who don't shuttle and do EPICs a bad name.

If only Aqua were here to save the day.....if only he hadn't fallen for the old (tried and true), "I saw a half-nekkid girl going that way" on the trail yesterday, he might still be "with us."

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief
    "EPIC?" Never in my life did I hear the words EPIC and SHUTTLE in the same sentence.

If you're going to go one way, please don't use the word EPIC. It gives us who don't shuttle and do EPICs a bad name.

If only Aqua were here to save the day.....if only he hadn't fallen for the old (tried and true), "I saw a half-nekkid girl going that way" on the trail yesterday, he might still be "with us."
    It is possible to do an epic ride and a shuttle ride all in one. There are plenty of mega-long trails that could be considered epic and require shuttles - Kokopelli trail comes to mind. It's all relative, Chief.

banned

Whoa....what was that going Mach five

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    It is possible to do an epic ride and a shuttle ride all in one. There are plenty of mega-long trails that could be considered epic and require shuttles - Kokopelli trail comes to mind. It's all relative, Chief.
    right past you?

Its only 1" on the map!

Here are a couple

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    In my book anyway.

The Palm Canyon Epic

Of course I know of at least one hairly-legged manly man who makes a 55+ mile loop out of this.

During Last Years Lake Tahoe Gathering We did a 39.5 miler from Mount Rose along the the Tahoe Rim Trail to the Flume Trail to Martlett Lake to Spooner Lake then to Diamond Peak. After that we headed towards Kingsbury Grade and picked up the Chinese Downhill to finish. Most of it above 7,000 and some above 8,000 feet.

Now I do not consider those shuttles, I consider them point-to-point rides.

A shuttle to me is something that could be done as a loop by an above average intermediate (fitness-wise) rider. There are some exceptions such as a dangerously busy paved roads that make the loop or the connector is a poach etc...

-Bill

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbbill
    .....Now I do not consider those shuttles, I consider them point-to-point rides. ....
    I used to think just setting up the shuttle for Coyote Canyon was a driving epic alone. Is that ride legal anymore?

"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx

no

When I did the ride with Bill we parked on 79 at the East Mesa Fire Road access point. we went up East Mesa fireroad and hooked up with Indian Creek Trail. From there, we climbed IC to Champagne Pass, down IC to Noble, and up Noble to get water. We then headed left (North?) on Sunrise Highway to the Pioneer Mail campground to pick up the Pioneer Mail trail. This trail takes you back to Champagne pass. Down IC to hook back up with the East Mesa Fireroad and you're done.

YR

the difference being

shuttles are used for going down. Point to Point can be very length when there is no loop option. I've done plenty of 4 plus hour point to point rides that require cars at each end............

YR

don't forget about

The Plunge............I'd never punish another human by making them do that bad boy backwards..........

YR

Sober for now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti_Rider
    When I did the ride with Bill we parked on 79 at the East Mesa Fire Road access point. we went up East Mesa fireroad and hooked up with Indian Creek Trail. From there, we climbed IC to Champagne Pass, down IC to Noble, and up Noble to get water. We then headed left (North?) on Sunrise Highway to the Pioneer Mail campground to pick up the Pioneer Mail trail. This trail takes you back to Champagne pass. Down IC to hook back up with the East Mesa Fireroad and you're done.

YR
    Yeti - Thank you for taking back this thread after it was hi-jacked.
    Chief - Judge not, lest thee be judged.

Sober for now...

YR
    Thanks for the connector loop.(GOD forbid it's a shuttle!)
    We're going to map this out on GPS and put it on Geoladders for others to enjoy.
    Thanks again for everyones (almost) info.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    The Plunge............I'd never punish another human by making them do that bad boy backwards..........

YR
    Might try that this year. Know someone who's done it.

If you have to ask...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Might try that this year. Know someone who's done it.

I'd skip it for the danger factor alone. Riding up SJT is bad enough with the shuttle monkeys riding down- at least on the SJT they actually expect uphillers. On the Plunge? No way. You'd likely get killed.

miles
    It's 7:09 California time

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by miles
    I'd skip it for the danger factor alone. Riding up SJT is bad enough with the shuttle monkeys riding down- at least on the SJT they actually expect uphillers. On the Plunge? No way. You'd likely get killed.

miles
    I've ridden down the plunge with motorcycles coming up and down and survived.

TCB
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the connector loop.(GOD forbid it's a shuttle!)
    We're going to map this out on GPS and put it on Geoladders for others to enjoy.
    Thanks again for everyones (almost) info.
    The Cuyamaca to Noble Canyon Epic ride originated from “The IMBA Epics” here is the link to the rides and the Cuyamaca to Noble Epic ride. http://www.imba.com/epics/ http://www.imba.com/epics/julian_ca.html
    The course we (SDMBA) designed for the Cuyamaca to Noble IMBA Epic started from the Parking lot with the large turnout used for horse trailers, it’s located about one mile past Green Valley Falls off the 79, from the parking lot we rode up East Side trail to East Mesa Fire Road, up East Mesa fire road to Indian Creek Trail, at Champagne Pass we went left on Pine Mountain trail to Sunrise Highway, (the Pine Mountain trail is often confused with Pioneer Mail trail) from Sunrise Highway we rode to Penny Pines/Noble Canyon trail head, from there we did a loop around the Big Laguna trail back to the Noble Canyon trail head, down Noble Canyon to the Noble Canyon trail head in Pine Valley, from the trail head we rode up Pine Creek road back to East Mesa fire road, up East Mesa to East Side trail back to the Parking Lot.
    I hope that helps and this ride is not a shuttle
    Last edited by TCB; 05-23-2006 at 10:46 PM.
    "No matter where you go there you are" BUCKAROO BANZAI

banned

Now, that's what I am

Quote Originally Posted by TCB
    The Cuyamaca to Noble Canyon Epic ride originated from “The IMBA Epics” here is the link to the rides and the Cuyamaca to Noble Epic ride. http://www.imba.com/epics/ http://www.imba.com/epics/julian_ca.html
    The course we (SDMBA) designed for the Cuyamaca to Noble IMBA Epic started from the Parking lot with the large turnout used for horse trailers, it’s located about one mile past Green Valley Falls off the 79, from the parking lot we rode up East Side trail to East Mesa Fire Road, up East Mesa fire road to Indian Creek Trail, at Champagne Pass we went left on Pine Mountain trail to Sunrise Highway, (the Pine Mountain trail is often confused with Pioneer Mail trail) from Sunrise Highway we rode to Penny Pines/Noble Canyon trail head, from there we did a loop around the Big Laguna trail back to the Noble Canyon trail head, down Noble Canyon to the Noble Canyon trail head in Pine Valley, from the trail head we rode up Pine Creek road back to East Mesa fire road, up East Mesa to East Side trail back to the Parking Lot.
    talkin about! 45-50 miles, plenty of elevation, rocks, heat, flies, sweat, 8-10 hours total, and NO shuttle. Truly of EPIC proportions.

dft
    mtbr member
    talkin about! 45-50 miles, plenty of elevation, rocks, heat, flies, sweat, 8-10 hours total, and NO shuttle. Truly of EPIC proportions.
    sounds likes you got a narrow view of epic if you don't allow the various point to point rides that have been mentioned. personally the cyumaca to noble sounds like a yawnnnn ride, borrring. but then again the "imba epic" rides contain many over hyped rides, like national trail in south mountain. they describe that as epic, pleease! the most epic ride i do in my life is only 22 miles.

banned

Remember...

Quote Originally Posted by dft
    sounds likes you got a narrow view of epic if you don't allow the various point to point rides that have been mentioned. personally the cyumaca to noble sounds like a yawnnnn ride, borrring. but then again the "imba epic" rides contain many over hyped rides, like national trail in south mountain. they describe that as epic, pleease! the most epic ride i do in my life is only 22 miles.
    it's all just opinion-based rhetoric here. You say potato...I say potatoe. (Ode to Dan Quayle)

Btw, I can't even do more than 35 miles XC in one day, w/o my back going out, so no more EPIC rides for me.
    Just keep your greensleeves on there, D Fing T, and you'll find your chi.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Great Ride

Quote Originally Posted by TCB
    That is one of my favorite rides, and by any stretch would be considered epic. Covers some great terrain, beautiful scenery, and fun techy stuff. Great ride, but probably a bit hot these days.

mechmann_mtb
    if you yawn at a 55 mile ride including descending Noble Canyon, there isn't much that can be done.

no length of ride makes it epic. i would however venture to guess that somewhere before 55 miles the hallucinations start (probably climbing Alp d' Wheez) and that makes it epic!

Glad to Be Alive

come on now........there are epic shuttlable trails
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days