Just monkeying around

Epic Hodges XC ride!

Thought I'd share some highlights from my recent XC ride at Hodges. Thanks to all involved for making this such an enjoyable place to ride!
    Attached Images Attached Images

used to be uno-speedo....
    Damn.

mtbr member
    Exactly! Hodges used to be a fun little ride, but now it totally blows! Things are growing back though, so hopefully they might start opening things up. Is the trail up to Bernardo open?

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    Bernardo Peak is open. We rode up two weekends ago. It is a bit rocky towards the top but, with the exception of the water tank, we rode the whole way.

There is a lot that is closed for now. That includes the upper trail from the boat docks towards the 15 and the small but fun hill directly behind the concession stand. Most of what is closed is due to the fire and most will be reopened in time.

Please stay on the marked trails and don't wreck it for all the other riders in the county that use Hodges. We have see closures due to fire before Sycamore, all of Cuymaca, etc. As time goes on, these have been reopened, as will the majority of Hodges. Nature takes time to recover. The rangers want to make sure it happens.

These trails are closed to all user and not just targeted at us. Please respect the closers.

Just monkeying around
    Quote Originally Posted by bankerboy
    Most of what is closed is due to the fire and most will be reopened in time.
    I dunno, that barbed wire and signage looked pretty permanent to me. I hope I'm wrong.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC
    For the record, it took Sycamore Canyon/Goodall Ranch nearly a year before we were allowed back in. At least at Hodges, we have 60-70% access right now.

Now, will we loose some redundant trails? Yep! Hodges has removed a few here and there in the last two years.

Is there opportunity to legally add to the trail system? Can't say yet, but I hope so.

Will all these trails be closed forever? I highly doubt it.

I agree the posts and the wire alone are very depressing.

HOWEVER, if you read the signage, they give an optimist impression these trails will be opened again.

This is not the exact verbiage but it reads:

The trails are closed due to the 2007 wildfires. In order to allow the rehabilitation of both the native plants and animals, access to this area is restricted. Once this has been established, users will be allowed back into the affected areas.

Take a moment and read the fine print on the "Stay Out" signs. Like I said, there is optimism there.

Just monkeying around

How fine?

BB, your eyes must be better than mine because I do not see that particular verbiage anywhere on those permanent signs. Just that those areas are now dedicated for wildlife conservation and some fine print on municipal codes. Also of note, is that these trails no longer appear on any posted public maps.

Yes, there are some temp closure signs and tape due to fires out there, these are not them.

The point of this post is to bring awareness to fellow riders. If you have enjoyed riding these trails in the past, let the proper folks know you'd like to continue to ride them in the future.

www.sdrp.com
    www.sdmba.com

MTC rep for LPCPCAC

My appologies

Going back and looking at you pics, these seem to be from the valley east; the mule hill and further up the canyon. Is that correct? I cannot speak to those areas. I have not recently ridden out there.

The trails in and around the lake area to the west of the 15 are mostly temp fire closures. That is where I saw the temp signage.

I miss the single track that ran along side the stream on the east of Bernardo Peak, the single track above the fire road and below the Peak heading towards the boat/RV parking lot, and the hill behind the concession stand. But all of those gave me the impression they will be reopened once "nature" has re-established itself. Those are the signs and small print I was referring to.

I am looking forward to the day they finish the pipe/tunnel construction between Olivenhiem and Hodges. I would love to have the single track all the way out to the dam open again.

Time and as you pointed out, involvement with SDMBA, will tell.

Squeaky wheels can make a difference in the permanently closed areas.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    What a crock of crap. Use of the established trails through the burn areas isn't going to damage anything. Geez.

MTC rep for LPCPCAC

True, but...

Time and time again there are those who find/ride a new line or trail. Then the next person uses it and so on. With no real containment (read plants along a trail) it doesn't take long for a few to ruin a perfectly good line, make illegal trails and cast the entire mountain bike community in a very bad light. As I have already said, time heals all. Just give it that time.

As far as the other permanently closed trails, use the proper channels to get them open. Taking it out on me really doesn't accomplish anything. I didn't have a thing to do with these closures anymore than the next rider.

Complain all you want but the fact remains the trails are closed. Please observe the closures to keep us in a good light rather than the outlaws everyone else like to portray us to be. I don't want to lose more trails because of a few rouge riders.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator Z
    .... Is the trail up to Bernardo open?
    That trail was the most devastated in the fires and following rain but one of the first reopened. I like some of the re-routing around what used to be the tunnel part. I never realized how steep that section actually was till now.

MTP
    Nothing to see here
    Mar 2004
    Bankerboy, my comments weren't directed at you. I know you're not the one closing trails. You're just a regular pedaling Joe like myself.

I was just venting at the generally accepted-but bogus--perception that mountain biking damages the environment. That was the target of my "crock" comment.

Just monkeying around

Project those concerns

If you want to make a difference, let 'em know how you feel. Send emails to the below list of folks. Better yet, call them and bug 'em for answers: 858-674-2270.

sdrp@sdrp.org
    dbobertz@sdrp.org
    jason@sdrp.org

And most certainly Lou Ortego over at SDMBA who is the SDRP.org liason:

http://sdmba.com/index.php?option=co...d=12&Itemid=29

While these trails do not fall into the "epic" category, they did add a singletrack alternative to the boring fire roads and I think we'd all prefer not to have them taken away from us. I for one am getting pretty tired of watching some of my favorite rides disappear in SD!

Front Range, Colorado
    Yeah yeah this sucks but just be patient they will reopen them soon. I live ten minutes from the south side trail head so I feel the pain. The time to be concerned is if you see them start to re- seed the actual trails.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Hodges

I have contacted the SDRP Rangers for some timelines on opening the trails in the coming weeks. Please wait for their reply. The key to make it easier for all of us is to stay on the open trails and don't go into closed areas. Thanks

Lou
    SDMBA

mtbr member
    Nice work, Lou!

I can report that, from discussion with a member of the committee there, it was NEVER the intent of anyone to permanently close those trails, but rather to protect the hillsides from idiots treating every exposed bunny trail as a track to follow on horse, foot or BIKE. Cyclists were the first notable return visitors to the SDRP and they could have shut it all down, but didn't.

Personally, I was stoked to see what a good job they did opening up trails and impressed by the verbage on the signs. Great posting of the photos in this thread, though...I got a good laugh thinking about our first time out there to ride and hitting pretty much every sign shown.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Yikes!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Response from SDRP

I have added the response from Jason at SDRP on the situation in regards to trails in the Lake Hodges area. Also trail work goes every second Sunday of the month, please check the web site to contact info.

Lou

I'm sure the Mnt. Bike community will be glad to know that much of the south side of Lake Hodges, North Shore Trail, Mule Hill Trail, and some of the San Pasqual Valley Trail is open for trail usage! SDRP does not intend to permanently close any trail but there has to be a balance between habitat recovery and recreational use. I recommend checking our website www.sdrp.org for information regarding the status of the trail system.

As you know, all of Lake Hodges and San Pasqual burned including retaining walls and several small bridges and also the bridge over Green Valley Creek and the bridge over Santa Maria Creek (12 total bridges). Most trail signs and fences are burned. Many drain crossings have blown out after the recent rains. The River Park is focused on minimizing further damage to the natural lands around the Lake and San Pasqual. At this point we are working quickly to take the required measures in order to open a trail. SDRP staff has worked non-stop since the fires. We know that people want to return to the Park as soon as possible and we need to replace some features first make sure that they understand the importance of staying on the trail and out of the previously vegetated areas. Our goal is to open the trails as soon as possible. Also keep in mind that we lost our office, tractors, tools and equipment, etc so those types of basic requirements are also a priority for the Park.