mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Epic Adventure- Ride Invite!

Here's a group ride I think some of you might be interested in.

Date: Saturday Nov 6th
    Buchorn Trail (Los Padres Nat. Forest)
    Dsitance: About 34 miles
    Elevation gain: About 4,000'

I have a group of about 6-8 riders heading up from the LA area. I'm coming up fom OC. The pace will be moderate to fast. I'm posting this a little more that a week in advance to give you guys an opportunity to get in on this one. If you live in the area or are dedicated enough to drive/carpool then let me know.

This is supposed to be a ride of epic proportions even if it is only 34 miles. Options to add more miles.

More Info

mtbr member
    Long time ago I discovered that trail when I did a Little Pine mountain trip. I decided that a single track was more exciting than a fireroad. I was alone but plunged ahead. Since I had studied maps I didn't get lost, just took a long time. The trail was not technically challenging but there was some poison oak to dodge. Most of it was a gradual downhill paralleling a dry river bed until you get to the Mono Camp.

I've done it twice once going out by the mine and once Cameusa fireroad back to the ridge.

The trail East of the mine was once an easy cruise but years of growth have taken over. I've gone in from the West (mine side) and found the trail past the mine as impossibly overgrown. There was or had been no maintenance when I last saw it - pre 2002. The site mentioned on your discussion board http://www.mybikesite.com/socal/trails/buckhorn_.htm does not have anyone say they've really ridden between the mine and the Mono campsite, the last poster speaks of Cameusa.

For safety I'd like to see a bail-out vehicle parked at Mono camp. Cameusa can be a long cold climb back over to Oso as the sun sets.
    Epic yes. Trail easy (minus overgrowth).

a.k.a. MTBMaven

Check Trail Conditions Before You Go

You migt want to check the trail conditions before you go. We went out to Mt. Pinos area to do the McGill Trail on Friday the 29th and the trail was covered in about 1 foot of snow. When we showed up at the trailhead there was a dad and his son sledding! We ended up riding some motorcycle singel track a little lower in elevation. Turns out there was still plenty of snow there too. I would say the snow level was at about 4,000 feet.

The Buckhorn Trail is lower in elevation, 1,000 - 3,600 feet, but still worth checking. Eitherway it will be cool out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Last post on this one....

I still don't know the exact route (about 34 miles) and I'm putting my trust in the ride leaders/ coordinators on this one. I've got 5 riders confirmed for this Saturday. We may have a few more by weeks end. If you're interested reply or PM me with your number so we can talk live about the details. This is a cross country ride that may include technical sections that are walkable. A few of you guys have responded to my posts in the past and I believe none have been dissapointed. There's always a first time right!

As long as you have the endurance for a 30+ mile ride, no one will be left behind. If you don't then that's another story.

Later

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You might want to re-think that ride,as of 8am on Thursday it's raining in S.B. Also rain is forcasted over the next couple of days. It's a cut off low thats hard to predict, could be light ,could be a downpour. I would'nt want to find out that far back into the ride. Goodluck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Ride Postponed..

Quote Originally Posted by ADDICT
    You might want to re-think that ride,as of 8am on Thursday it's raining in S.B. Also rain is forcasted over the next couple of days. It's a cut off low thats hard to predict, could be light ,could be a downpour. I would'nt want to find out that far back into the ride. Goodluck!
    Yeah we've been watching the weather closely and as of today this trip has become a multi day ski/snow board trip at Mammoth! It's been dumping up there! Time to shred!

I'll bump this thread up 1 week before the rides rescheduled date.

Unshaven Yak
    I might be in for one at a later date. It's pretty cool & wet around here at the moment.

Hey Addict, when r we gonna kick some trail again? Hope the deathmarch wasn't too much for you...