mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ensenada urban downhill race??

I emailed a friend some video of an insane urban downhill race in South America, and he sends me this:

Ensenada Urbano

Looks like there is a similar race in Ensenada this weekend. Anyone done it or planning on doing it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    no but it's not a very safe place

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'll pass

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sounds like a cartel trap to lure Americans over for ransom money.

If you have to ask...
    You guys need to get out more.
    It's 7:09 California time

mtbr member
    Same here, won't catch my ass south of the border!
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

If you have to ask...
    Seriously, you guys really do need to get out more.
    It's 7:09 California time

Glad to Be Alive
    any vids???
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Goofing off?
    There is a good video up now. Looks fun: Ensenada Urbano

That is pretty cool they allowed this right in the middle of own. Steep and twisty.

Plus a touch of culture to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS View Post
    any vids???

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Intenserider2 View Post
    There is a good video up now. Looks fun: Ensenada Urbano

That is pretty cool they allowed this right in the middle of own. Steep and twisty.

Plus a touch of culture to boot.
    gracias
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Anybody who says Ensenada is dangerous needs to get in touch with reality. You're more likely to get robbed/stabbed/killed in San Diego, than pretty much almost ANYWHERE in Baja California.

Example: My truck broke down in San Felipe, all I had was people helping me. On my way back from the same trip, truck breaks down again off the 8 freeway in El Cajon and a tweeker pulls a knife on me. I pulled out a much larger knife, and I was clearly larger and stronger than the drug addict, so he backed off.

I'm just sayin.... not much drama happens to gringos in Baja... but you could get killed for $5 in Skyline, Lincoln Park, Lakeside, etc etc

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Just did the 2013 Urban DH in Ensenada. Finished 2nd in my class and had a blast.

The bars and clubs were so cool with us being there we could bring our bikes into the bars with us after the race during the awards ceremony.

This type of race may never happen in our nanny lawed country at least not for the avearge rider. Red Bull might be able to pull something off although unless your a pro good luck getting on the course.

Hit up Downhill Ensenada on FaceBook for a ton of pics and my crash video. LOL

This isn't my race run it's just a good video showing the course and what your missing: Ensenada Urban Downhill 2013 Race Run - YouTube

See you next year? I'll be there...

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    The problem with Mexico: When you break your tuchus, who you gonna' sue?

Beer Please!
    Quote Originally Posted by throttlepimp View Post
    Just did the 2013 Urban DH in Ensenada. Finished 2nd in my class and had a blast.

The bars and clubs were so cool with us being there we could bring our bikes into the bars with us after the race during the awards ceremony.

This type of race may never happen in our nanny lawed country at least not for the avearge rider. Red Bull might be able to pull something off although unless your a pro good luck getting on the course.

Hit up Downhill Ensenada on FaceBook for a ton of pics and my crash video. LOL

This isn't my race run it's just a good video showing the course and what your missing: Ensenada Urban Downhill 2013 Race Run - YouTube

See you next year? I'll be there...
    That looked really fun!
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rolling thunder View Post
    The problem with Mexico: When you break your tuchus, who you gonna' sue?
    You bring the bike, you pedal the bike, you break yourself off, you pay the price. No problemo! LOL

The way it should be where ever you decide to huck yo'self...

My health insurance actually covers me in Mex. Years ago a buddy of mine was in a motorcycle accident (broken arm) on the toll road to Ensenada and the toll road insurance you get when you pay the toll took care of it. In fact we were all impressed with the care he got. Even the state side doctor that did the check ups was impressed, we also found it it was a fraction of the cost of what the same care would have cost in the states.

Don't hate, educate.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The is a well edited video showing some of the fun on and off the course.

Ensenada Urban Downhill '13 Video - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

No hate

damn tweekers

Beer Please!
    The is a well edited video showing some of the fun on and off the course.

Ensenada Urban Downhill '13 Video - Pinkbike
    Actually the editing was horrible, sloppy sharp transitions that hurt the eye, and too many cuts in quick succession.

But I still enjoyed getting a more "overall trip" feel from the video. Not everyone with a GoPro is good at editing movies.
    telling me to stay out of a former bombing range next to a dump while you build huge houses next to it? Screw you.-sandmangts

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Actually the editing was horrible, sloppy sharp transitions that hurt the eye, and too many cuts in quick succession.

But I still enjoyed getting a more "overall trip" feel from the video. Not everyone with a GoPro is good at editing movies.
    Hmmm maybe my brain works quickly enough that it doesn't effect me that way. That and I'm constantly souped up on redbull, ya-know being a downhiller and trying to be extreme all the time. LOL

This video has much better edit, I would go so far as to say it's great, although I'm not a fan of PIP at the beginning: Ensenada Urbano Chapter 6 - 2013 - YouTube

Beer Please!
    Hmmm maybe my brain works quickly enough that it doesn't effect me that way. That and I'm constantly souped up on redbull, ya-know being a downhiller and trying to be extreme all the time. LOL

This video has much better edit, I would go so far as to say it's great, although I'm not a fan of PIP at the beginning: Ensenada Urbano Chapter 6 - 2013 - YouTube
    That one was rad. I loved the sky cam, was the Camera on a remote controlled 4 bladed drone helicopter thing?

The PIP was cool for the few shots they used it in, I would not want an entire video like that.

Not Mountain Bike related but more focused on our conversation about editing is this video from a good friend of his trip to Zion last spring:

Zion National Park - May 1-6, 2013 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah, pretty sure it was a quad copter, a couple of the guys featured in the video didn't know it was there either. Not until they saw the video days later. Which I understand, during my race runs I can hear people are there although being focused on my line I didn't see anybody. My girlfriend and another friend were standing on the side of a section and I didn't know they were there until they showed me the video they shot. In the video I can hear them loudly cheering me on, during the run it was, white noise and rear hub clicks.

Your friends video is cool. I can see the difference in editing style. Your buddy was going for a more laid back feel or that's how it comes across. I still like the edit on the first video I posted, especially with the content...different strokes.