Thread: enough rain?

mtbr member

enough rain?

are we near the "substantial rain" mark to open up the recent trail closures in so cali?

jr

Unshaven Yak
    We should be after the next three days....

mtbr member
    which trails have been closed due to a lack of rain?
    AJ

TC3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zjchaser
    which trails have been closed due to a lack of rain?
    Angeles Forrest... which covers a lot of local trails here in Pasadena

120 pounds of xc sex!

man

I hope after all the rain this week!

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/
    Team X-poser is back for 2006-

WTB; 1.25 inch tow rack in SoCal

>Ankur<

SUPER HERO
    Oct 2004

pot farmers

i called the forestry department , they said weather has nothing to do with the trails being closed , they also said not to expect the trails to re open till they are done harvesting thier pot plants only then will they re open, and they told me thanks for buying an adventure pass (that i havnt been able to use yet) my 30$ was used to by them new hackie sacks , a 3 foot bong , some zig zags and a bag of doritos.

Unshaven Yak
    ...cops..comin' tryin' ta snatch my crops....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    are we near the "substantial rain" mark to open up the recent trail closures in so cali?

jr
    Just heard from a trusted source that the Angeles National Forest will re-open tomorrow (Wednesday, 10/20) at 6:00 AM. Have not yet seen an official press release posted on the Angeles Forest website, though.
    Last edited by JimN; 10-19-2004 at 02:00 PM.

Poser

Open!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Angeles National Forest Closure Lifted
    Fire Restrictions Remain in Effect

ARCADIA, CA: October 19, 2004
    With recent rain showers, Extreme fire conditions have subsided in the San Gabriel Mountains. As a result, Angeles National Forest will reopen Wednesday morning at 6:00am. However, restrictions on campfires, campstoves and smoking remain in effect, as vegetation moisture levels remain very low.

About 90% of the Forest has been closed since September 27, due to Extreme fire danger. Vegetation moisture levels have been at critically low levels for several weeks. Santa Ana winds caused a “Red Flag” fire warning in late September and again last week.

Since Saturday, the Angeles has received rain showers which brought between ¼ inch and 2 inches of rain to most parts of the 680,000 acre Forest. Thirteen weather stations throughout the Forest have received an average of 1.4 inches of rain. Heavy rain and continued cool temperatures are forecast through Friday, with snow in the high country.

Despite the wet conditions, another closure is possible if vegetation dries out and temperatures go back up. “There’s still a fair amount of risk this season,” said Angeles National Forest Fire Chief Don Feser. “Things are looking better, but mountain weather can turn on a dime. Santa Ana winds are possible for several more months.”

During the wildfires last fall, Angeles National Forest was closed for 11 days. It reopened on November 7, 2003, following significant rainfall. This past July, three fires burned 34,000 acres over a two-week period in and around the Angeles in the Santa Clarita area.

Several areas that were closed prior to the fire closure will remain closed, such as Chantry Flat Road (construction), the Crystal Lake area (fire damage), and two areas containing endangered species habitat.

For more information on the status of specific recreation sites, please contact the corresponding District Office listed below or visit the Forest website at www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles.
    Yippee for us. Now wait til it dries....(like watching paint).

SUPER HERO
    Oct 2004
    screw waiting for things to dry out, im grabbing montezuma (my dog) tomorrow morning and we are going hikeing just like we did before i bought a BIKE!

SXtreem now
    im ready to hit the trail here in SLC too. i brought home my new RMX Team this afternoon. now i have to look at for a week b4 the rain lets up. i love SoCal trails after the first rain of the season, butter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I am dying to ride!!! Has anyone gone to Harding or Santiago Truck Trail? Wondering what the trail is like after the rain.

bert
    Rock n Road best LBS in Orange County hands down!