mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Enduros for MTB...Could be fun

In the last year or so I have been getting pretty serious into dirt bike riding to the point of competing in D37 enduros. They are really fun and challenging on the dirt bike. I started thinking, why wouldn’t it work on a MTB. For those of you that have done enduros before I would love to hear your opinion.

For those that don’t know how it works….it is a generally technical course with check points hidden throughout the course. You get points off for early or late to the check points, lowest score wins. Throughout the course you have a chart that tells you exactly where you should be and when, down to the min (down to the second for those that have an enduro specific computer, and who are really competitive) I think it would be a terrific event format. I think it would be particularly good for the new crop of “enduro” labeled all mountain bikes that most of us ride. It would be a great event for a wider range of people the pace doesn’t have to be blistering fast like xc races and can have difficult climbs and downhills. Might be fun!??!?!

Crop Dusting Magistrate
    Sep 2005
    I think it's a cool idea but I bet that going through all the red tape from the BLM or Forest Service would be a nightmare. If you organize a ride on BLM land you have to notify them.

There was a case last year in Utah about an unoffical point-to-point "race" that some people put together....the BLM was not happy and issued a ticket or two. The guys that put it on used the defense of "it's just a bunch of people riding - not a race"...didn't work.
    It wasn't me

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That what basically happens when you go on a big ride with your friends. Ride to the top of the hill, ride down. Fastest one to the top wins. Fastest one down wins.

The company that put's on the Enduro series in France, put on an enduro style event in England. It was basically 6 hours of riding, the only timed sections were the downhills.

You do have deal with some red tape, filing paper work etc, but BLM and Forest Service are public lands. They allow mining, logging, all kinds of stuff. Doing a ride would probably be easier than a race. If people have to pedal everywhere the logistic of shuttling go away.

It's a fair amount of work. Some would have to step up and do it, and my days of event management are over. Until I win the lottery or something miraculous like that happens.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I was more thinking of the concept.....I know the logistics of permits and such make it really undesirable to even think about running an an event. I was more asking, what do you think of the enduro concept applied to MTBs. I am more asking if one was presented would it be appealing to try.

On that note, its a shame that it is so hard to run an event....with the D37 motorcycle stuff there are races or enduros pretty much 3 times a month all year. They seem to manage it.

With response to the stuff in england, that sounds like they missed the point of an enduro....i dont think it would work to just to do the dh sections. And its not about being timed, its about staying on schedule, not early or late.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think it's a good concept. I wish someone would do it.

Motorcycle guys do stuff every week, it's totally do-able. Someone has to step up and do it. It is always more work to get something going.

What those guys did in Europe was more in-line with the series they had going. And even then what works well for motorcycles might be as appealing to guys on bicycles if is run exactly the same way.

I think the sport of mountain biking has changed a lot to the general rider. It used there was one type of bike available. Rigid hardtail. XC-racing was basically the same as going for a bike ride. Today you have lots of guys riding 5" and 6" bikes, pedaling them and having a good time. These bikes aren't fun for doing XC races, or ideally suited for full on DH races.

What you are talking about sounds similar to a road century, with a little more competition.

Mountain biking and what people like to do has changed as more and better bikes have become available, trails have changed also. Organized biking events really haven't changed with that. The enduro thing is just one option, which sounds pretty good.

Dented n' Spent
    Quote Originally Posted by desert kid
    I was more thinking of the concept.....I know the logistics of permits and such make it really undesirable to even think about running an an event. I was more asking, what do you think of the enduro concept applied to MTBs. I am more asking if one was presented would it be appealing to try.
    When we were kids that's what we called mountain biking - "bicycle enduro". Not that that's relevant but it seems like a natural variant on the sport to me. Might be a nice middle ground between a regular XC race and an organized ride or poker run.

I assume you would start 4 riders every minute too? I've only been in one XC race but I didn't really enjoy being in the pack for most of the race. I think it would be fun to spread out more like a "ride" but have the competitive aspect as well. You could really have fun pushing the strategy aspect as well: Is there a check at the end of this fast dirt road or a brutal hike-a-bike? (if you hit a check early, 2x the points against you so you gotta decide how early you wanna get in fast sections) Special Tests could be trials as well as downhills.

Soon as my achilles fixes I'm in!
    What kind of bike?​ I don'​t know,​ I'm not a bike scien​tist.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Back in my New England racing days, most of the best races were "Enduros" put on by the Eastern Fat Tire Assoc. Not true enduro format with with checkpoints and scoring, but they were point-to-point or one-lap courses, technical and around 30 miles long. Groups of 10 or so riders would start every couple minutes. That plus the long courses meant no stupid stampede for the first singletrack section and riders well spread out from the beginning. You never really knew how you were placed on the course - just hammer and try to pass people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I think what would be fun and different about an enduro is you have to ride smart and not flat out (those of you have done a true time keeping enduro on a moto know what I mean) If the checkpoints are tricky and hard to figure out, a decent trail rider can solidly compete with a super fit roadie type.

Basically i don't really like XC because I just get stomped from really fit climbers, even if I am a decent all around rider an xc race is basically won and lost in the climbs. And as far as DH goes, I don't want to pay 45 bucks to race for 3 mins nor do I want to buy a 5k dh bike.....especially in souther California now (5 years agot it was a differt story).

I think the rim nordic folks could put on a decent enduro. Just to try one year. Get an experienced moto guy from a D37 club to help lay one out with logistics and such. I bet a lot of people would have a blast once they figured out the principal of time keeping and strategizing. And special test......oh yeah!!! trials, dh ,. and technical hill climbs!! It would be great!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I like it. It might actually be something I would do, for all the reasons you point out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm also a moto rider and enjoy enduros. They are great fun and I've wondered the same thing. Why not use the same format for MTB? I think it would be great fun and attract a lot of rider interest. An enduro format would appeal to me much more than a standard XC race format.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by EMrider
    I'm also a moto rider and enjoy enduros. They are great fun and I've wondered the same thing. Why not use the same format for MTB? I think it would be great fun and attract a lot of rider interest. An enduro format would appeal to me much more than a standard XC race format.
    I did some motorcycle enduros back in the 1980's. They were held on BLM lands in SoCal and were a lot of fun. The mystery ride aspect (unkown course, no pre-riding allowed), the staggered start, the route finding and timekeeping, the wide range of riders and bikes, all are a lot of fun.

Some place like the BLM lands at Fort Ord, near Monterey, would be great for an enduro, as there is such a maze of trails. I know that's not SoCal, but maybe there's a good venue there.

mtbr member
    Hey you're really on to somethin' here. It could be a blast!